Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Cast Bullets in cold temperatures (Read 15803 times)
FAsmus
Ex Member

Cast Bullets in cold temperatures
Nov 29th, 2004 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
Gentlemen,

Today when I got going it was -10 degrees F at my place.

For Pete, by the way, it worked out to sealevel DA here at 4000 MSL.

In general practice we shooters here in Sheridan generally call it quits at about 30 degrees F, saying as we do that accuracy falls off due to the lube getting too cold to work consistently when things get colder than that.

The proposition is made that a fellow (suitably inspired) could work up a load made for shooting at a specified temperature, say 20 degrees or colder instead of 30+.

Now, I'd say that testing and shooting in the cold is really less than ideal but I've done it and right on down to zero too!

Keeping in mind that it was a perfectly calm bright sunshiny day, quite pleasent except when touching anything made of metal with bare skin.

I'm the advocate on this question and I do wonder if it has been done by anyone here.

Good afternoon,
Forrest

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Re: Cast Bullets in cold temperatures
Reply #1 - Nov 29th, 2004 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
Forrest,

I have shot down to as low as 30 degrees using SPG and the results... no test..... seemed to be about as good as any higher temp.

But in our testing with smokeless and the NRA lube things seem to go down hill when the temp. gets under 60 degrees.

The late Claude Roderick believed that you have to "temper" your lube for the temperature. I corresponded with hm for about two years before he died and he sent me a copy on what he felt was the proper temper for his particular lube at the different temperatures.

I haven't tried his lube out, or the different tempers, since to me, when it gets below about 50 degrees I'm thinking more on keeping my fingers warm than concentrating on my shooting.

PETE

IP Logged

ole7groove
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 29th, 2004 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
PETE & FORREST:

Since April I have fired in excess of 6500 shots doing ballistic tests of many different bullet and powder combinations. Temperatures ranged from 96 degrees for a high to 29 degrees for a low. Velocities ranged from 1200fs to over 2200fs. I have not detected any temperature effect of bullet lubricant over the ranges I mentioned above. Signs of leading occurred at velocities of 1850 to 1900fs regardless of ambient air temperature. The lubricating qualities of bullet lube is more effected by the combination of powder residue and lube than by temperature in my experience.

Regards

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 30th, 2004 at 12:13am
Print Post  
Barry,

Interesting! I was always under the impression that lube had to be soft enuf to flow under the pressures exerted on it from firing. If the lube was to stiff because of the temp. this wouldn't occur well enuf to keep the bore from Leading. Plus if the lube wasn't soft enuf it would tend to impede the bullets movement down the barrel; and as the barrel warmed under subsequent shots this would alter the flow characteristics of the lube and thus the bullets movement down the bore. Between groups the barrel would cool and you'd have to start all over again.

Granted this might not be noticeable on the target and would depend on the temper of the lube in relation to the air temp.

PETE

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Nov 30th, 2004 at 6:10am
Print Post  
I/we shot at about any temperature in Massachusetts, testing from the bench. Maybe from 95F down to 10F or so, as long as the wind was reasonable I never saw nor heard of a problem attributed to lube or anything else related to temperature. BTW, in my carpentry days we found that 30F and sunny with little wind was close to perfect weather for roofing etc.
joe b.

IP Logged

FAsmus
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 30th, 2004 at 10:39am
Print Post  
  I have shot down to as low as 30 degrees using SPG and the results... no test..... seemed to be about as good as any higher temp.

PETE,

I have to go to Salt Lake City right now but for the moment I'd like to say that I have found that my Javelina smokeless lube does not deliver its best perfromance at lower temperatures.

More later.
Forrest

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Nov 30th, 2004 at 11:37am
Print Post  
Forrest,

Have a safe trip..... I'll agree about the Javelina as I use the same lube for my smokeless loads. What we've found is that at about 60 degrees, and below, there is a slight decrease in accuracy. Depending on the accuracy of your gun this might not be noticeable.

The SPG, on the other hand, works well down to at least 30 degrees, which is as far as I've gone. Your starting out at -10 deg.'s is way beyond what I care to do. Used to walk up Fox in colder temp.'s than that but I think i'd freeze to death sitting at a bench.

PETE

IP Logged

EdStutz
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Nov 30th, 2004 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
Pete etal,

BRRRRR, anthing below 50 degrees is not fit for humans to be subjected to. In my younger days I didn't know that  Grin .

Ed

IP Logged

ole7groove
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Nov 30th, 2004 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
PETE,

The effect of temperature on bullet lube has more to do with the consistancy of the barrel residue than the lubricating qualities. Velocities are effected by barrel/lubricant temperature, especially at temperatures lower than 60 degrees. For instance, a barrel that has been fired and allowed to cool, will typically fire its next shot at a higher velocity at cooler ambient temperatures. Generally speaking it is well known that a few shots (sighters) are needed to return to previous accuracy, these sighting shots bring the barrel temperature back to a point where lubricant/powder residue consistancy is the same as for the previous shots. At cooler temperatures it is more difficult to maintain consistant barrel temperature than at moderate temps.(65 -80degrees F). Bullets do not lubricate themselves so much as to leave a lubricant residue for the next bullet down the barrel. The residue left in the barrel is a combination of lubricant and powder residue.  Barrel leading is sometimes confused with powder/primer glazing which may appear on a cleaning patch as leading.  My testing has been with smokeless powders only and in my opinion are far less severe than for blackpowder shooting where powder fouling is much greater. 

There are MANY factors that effect bullet velocity, accuracy is typically found to be best within a very narrow velocity region between the barrel muzzle and the target. Air temperature does effect all aspects of the dynamics of shooting (components/ballistics).

Regards,

IP Logged

FAsmus
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Nov 30th, 2004 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
  Have a safe trip..... I'll agree about the Javelina as I use the same lube for my smokeless loads. What we've found is that at about 60 degrees, and below, there is a slight decrease in accuracy.

PETE,

I no sooner filed the Flight Plan, went out to preflight, fueled the airplane and got in for departure when the trip canceled.

So.

My story about the Javelina is that I cut the NEI 458-555-PB "Gunn" bullet to suit my fancy one day, turning the first two grease grooves into a nose-riding 0.451 diameter ahead of the driving bands.

I did the initial testing in temperatures cooler than really comfortable but nothing really tough. My loading notes are home you see, but to our point the load provided reasonable accuracy at short range but left the skuffing of light leading toward the muzzle of my rifle.

Ah! I said: Lube failure! 

Not enough to do the job was my conclusion and I didn't load any more of those bullets again until just before the Montana 1000 yard championship. It was hot by then of course and I only loaded these bullets because they were the heaviest I had at the time.

They did quite well! Accuracy was pretty good and there was never a bit of "wash" or leading whatever.

I concluded as this thread has: The stuff needs to be fairly warm in order to function as intended.

P:  The SPG, on the other hand, works well down to at least 30 degrees, which is as far as I've gone.

F: That is nice to know.

I have some SPG look-alike in my #2 sizer; next time out this winter I'll grease some of them up with it and try the loads side-by-side with others greased with Javelina.

P: Your starting out at -10 deg.'s is way beyond what I care to do. Used to walk up Fox in colder temp.'s than that but I think I'd freeze to death sitting at a bench.

F: Certainly! The morning began at -10 but soon warmed up to reasonable shooting temperatures: Something like 35 or so as I recall. Warm sunshine and no wind to speak of.

Good afternoon,
Forrest

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Nov 30th, 2004 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
Barry,

Quote:
The effect of temperature on bullet lube has more to do with the consistancy of the barrel residue than the lubricating qualities.

Right! Guess I didn't make myself clear.

The residue left in the barrel after a shot is made up of powder fouling and lube. The lube tho is the only part of this fouling that can change consistency, so if the barrel can't maintain a consistent temp. then the lube will have to be softened to accommodate it.

Quote:
My testing has been with smokeless powders only and in my opinion are far less severe than for blackpowder shooting where powder fouling is much greater.

I can't agree with this. Yes.... There is more fouling per shot with BP, but if you wipe between shots as most target shooters do it is a non issue. With Shilouette shooting where a blow tube is used fouling only builds up for the following shot. If the blow tube is used correctly, and you are using a correctly designed bullet, the following shot wipes out the preceding shots fouling. When it comes time to clean a BP gun it isn't any harder to do than for a smokeless gun. In some cases if the smokeless load has built up quite a bit of hard fouling, as you mention, a BP gun will be easier to clean. A properly made up BP load, bullet design, and alloy, will no more Lead a barrel than the best smokeless loads will. In fact I've probably had less trouble with BP in that regard than with smokeless.

PETE

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Nov 30th, 2004 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
Forrest,

Interesting test, and glad you took the time to post it.

Quote:
The morning began at -10 but soon warmed up to reasonable shooting temperatures: Something like 35 or so as I recall. Warm sunshine and no wind to speak of.

35 is still plenty cold for me. Guess they just make them tougher out WY.  Smiley

I would have thought even after turning the bullet down to suit there would still have been very shallow grease grooves left. Were the grease grooves shallow enuf that they disappeared?

Not sure if SPG "look a like" will do the trick as well but if it's softer than Javelina it might be worth a try to see what happens. Let us know how it works out!

PETE

IP Logged

ole7groove
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Nov 30th, 2004 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Pete,

I stand corrected Sir. My reference to lube/powder fouling was made without wiping or blow tubing between shots with BP. My reference was only meant to show the great difference in fouling conditions and the ability of the bullet to be lubricated by the lube/fouling condition.

I agree with your comments entirely.

Regards
« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2004 at 11:07pm by »  

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Nov 30th, 2004 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
Barry,

Quote:
I stand corrected Sir. My reference to lube/powder fouling was made without wiping or blow tubing between shots with BP which is the norm.

The sarcasm is noted! Sorry.

In todays world of BP shooting either wiping or blow tubing is considered the norm. As I read the above you feel that it isn't?

PETE

IP Logged

ole7groove
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Nov 30th, 2004 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
PETE,

It was not my intent to be sarcastic Pete. A coma would have made my agreement with you more clear. I do realize that the norm is to "wipe between shots". 

My sincere apologies for for the misunderstanding old friend.

Regards,
Barry

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Dec 1st, 2004 at 8:22am
Print Post  
Barry,

No problem! I'm probably being particularly obtuse these last few days. Sometimes I don't get it and ramble off somewhere other than what the intent of the message was.

Probably ought to take time off for a while and let somebody elses message counter catch up to mine.

PETE

P.S. Just saw on BP-L that you are being referred to as "Homer" Darr in reference to what your Darr lube consisted of.  Cheesy Fame is sure fleeting, isn't it?

« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2004 at 8:30am by »  

IP Logged

ole7groove
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Dec 1st, 2004 at 8:53am
Print Post  
PETE,

I should explain further that all of my comments regarding bullet lubrication are based on testing breechseated bullets, this in itself may result in different results when shooting fixed cartridges. 

Best Regards,
Homer? ??? Wink

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Dec 1st, 2004 at 9:36am
Print Post  
Barry, or Homer, whichever the case may be,

Quote:
I should explain further that all of my comments regarding bullet lubrication are based on testing breechseated bullets,

I should have remembered this. As you say, there might be a difference between that and fixed ammo. Most, if not all, of my cold weather shooting is done hunting with fixed ammo, so other than a coupla times in 40 to 50 degree weather, I haven't really tested out the lube/fouling question.

With fixed ammo, in some calibers, you can feel the resistance building up the more you shoot. With either breech seating or fixed. Especially the under .28 calibers. The colder it gets the worse it is.

On the fixed ammo issue that was why I asked the question to Forrest wondering if as this lube/fouling builds up in the throat will it push the bullet back into the case? Would it be better to work up a load with the bullet set back in the throat a little?

I've found for cold weather hunting using cast Lead bullets you have to change your load slightly, or adjust your sights just due to what I imagine is partially due to the added resistance in the barrel. I'm not sure that the slight loss of accuracy you get is due to the slower burn of the powder...... lower MV..... or the bullet being deformed by the lube/powder residue.

Lots of interesting questions for someone who likes to shoot in cold weather!

PETE

IP Logged

FAsmus
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Dec 1st, 2004 at 9:45am
Print Post  
  I would have thought even after turning the bullet down to suit there would still have been very shallow grease grooves left. Were the grease grooves shallow enuf that they disappeared?

PETE,

For clairification go look at the NEI catalog for the bullet in question.

It is a good BP design I think with a great deal of its weight in the nose, allowing a fellow to short-seat it into say a 45/70 case but leave plenty of room for powder.

The design actually had one grease groove cut into the nose riding portion of the bullet and the next one marked the place where the nose ended and the base began.

My modification of the mold itself removed both of these grooves completely and provided a very slight interfearance fit into the barrel of my Ballard as each round was chambered.

Removal of the grooves upped the weight to 572 grains as well and I had hopes it would shoot better than anything else I had yet tried in the 1000 yard matches.

This did not prove to be the case. It did very well at short ranges but never quite out performed the old Lyman "Postell" design at the 1000.

Good morning,
Forrest

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Dec 1st, 2004 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
Forrest,

Quote:
The design actually had one grease groove cut into the nose riding portion of the bullet and the next one marked the place where the nose ended and the base began.

I did look at the NEI catalog of your bullet, but possibly it's not the same one you are talking about since it doesn't have a GG in front of the front band. In the catalog I have, which is an old one the bullet you mention is the.458-555  #349J  Gunn Long Range.

But actually the reason for asking if there was any lube groove left, it looked as if the lube grooves were machined off there might be some GG left, albeit it would have to be a thin. Altho the picture is supposed to be dimensionally correct, working with that close of tolerances it was hard to tell whether any GG was left.

So, with that out of the way...... Yes, it does look like a pretty good BP bullet, but then Dick Gunn is pretty good at designing that kind. Dick & I hashed over a design for my .50 cal. and Walt put it in his inventory. Proved to be a very good bullet and I won quite a bit of hardware with it.

As for the Postel..... It's a pretty hard design to beat so it didn't surprise me to see you think it's the best one you've tried so far.

PETE

IP Logged

iowa
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Dec 1st, 2004 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
Pete:: Is the Roderick Lube you mentioned for use with Black Powder?   If so could you share the formula and or the temper mix.   Best Regards  steve witt-waterloo

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Dec 1st, 2004 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
Steve,

Well, I can't say for sure. I assume it was originally made for smokeless Schuetzen shooting as that's what Claude was most interested in. But refreshing my mind on it I don't see why it couldn't be used for BP.

If you like I can scan it and send it to you. Send me an email at 10x@adiis.net and I'll get on it right away.

By the way.... Congrats on your NCOWS Buffalo Match win this Fall. That was a GREAT score. I know. Been there, done that!  Smiley

PETE - M'town

IP Logged

FAsmus
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Dec 2nd, 2004 at 11:31am
Print Post  
  I did look at the NEI catalog of your bullet, but possibly it's not the same one you are talking about since it doesn't have a GG in front of the front band. In the catalog I have, which is an old one the bullet you mention is the.458-555  #349J  Gunn Long Range.

PETE,

You have the correct bullet. The catalog picture does not have enough detail, I find, to show how the first two GG are actually designed into the bullet. If you had the mold in your hands, or a bullet cast from it you'd see right-off how the first GG is actually on the bore-riding nose and the next is located right where the bullet goes up to full diameter.

P:  But actually the reason for asking if there was any lube groove left, it looked as if the lube grooves were machined off there might be some GG left, albeit it would have to be a thin. Altho the picture is supposed to be dimensionally correct, working with that close of tolerances it was hard to tell whether any GG was left.

F: It is possible that your perseption is upside down or reversed as it were: The bottom of the Grease Grooves, being well under size as compared to bore or groove diameter are 
re-cut in a lathe such as to completely remove them, increasing the diameter of the bullet at the place they were formerly located to 0.451.

P:  So, with that out of the way...... Yes, it does look like a pretty good BP bullet, but then Dick Gunn is pretty good at designing that kind. Dick & I hashed over a design for my .50 cal. and Walt put it in his inventory. Proved to be a very good bullet and I won quite a bit of hardware with it.

F: What is the NEI number?

P:  As for the Postel..... It's a pretty hard design to beat so it didn't surprise me to see you think it's the best one you've tried so far.

F: Yes, it is the best 45 calber bullet I own. However, the Paul Jones 50 caliber "Creedmoor" is the best of all.

Good morning,
Forrest

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Dec 2nd, 2004 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
Forrest,

Like I said, I think the picture I'm looking at and the one you're referencing are two different ones. On the picture I have the driving bands are over the nose diam. so if you machined off the GG's to nose/bore diam. that would still leave a very shallow GG.

Quote:
F: What is the NEI number?

The NEI catalog number shows it as .512-600 378E  Gunn 50 The actual wgt. using 1-25 is 605 grs.

PETE

IP Logged

FAsmus
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Dec 2nd, 2004 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
  Like I said, I think the picture I'm looking at and the one you're referencing are two different ones. On the picture I have the driving bands are over the nose diam. so if you machined off the GG's to nose/bore diam. that would still leave a very shallow GG.

PETE,

Yes, I see what has caused this difference in our viewpoints.

I just went over there a took a new look at 458-555.

That is for certain the bullet I started out with.

The drawing, after my review, is only marginally correct. It is drawn as though the first two GG were in the body of the bullet. This is shown by the fact that there is a line ahead of all four GG in the drawing, making for a rather short nose.

The way the tool actualy comes is not that way at all. The first groove is right on the 0.448 nose, well ahead of any driving band and the second one forms a kind of "scraper groove" just ahead of the following full diameter base bands. 

In the drawing the small difference between full diameter and nose diameter is not well defined, and further, the line ahead of all the Grease Grooves simply is not there in the real bullet.

P:  The NEI catalog number shows it as .512-600 378E  Gunn 50 The actual wgt. using 1-25 is 605 grs.

F: And a very nice design it is too. I may have to get one if the daugther there in El Paso can make me one rather undersize! This is because my Big Fifty has a bore size somewhat smaller than the norm.

Good afternoon,
Forrest

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Dec 2nd, 2004 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
Forrest,

As I get it NEI can make you a mould a coupla thou. bigger, but I would imagine that for anything smaller they would have to make a new cherry. That's kinda expensive tho. I had Walt make one up many years ago and it cost $150 at that time. Hard telling what a new cherry goes for these days.

You're losing me here tho. Does your daughter work for NEI? Or.....?

PETE

IP Logged

FAsmus
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Dec 3rd, 2004 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
  As I get it NEI can make you a mould a coupla thou. bigger, but I would imagine that for anything smaller they would have to make a new cherry.

PETE,

Yes, I know. It might be as well to order another tool from Paul Jones.

P:  You're losing me here tho. Does your daughter work for NEI? Or.....?

F:  I was thinking of Walt's daugther (and her husband) who are now making the NEI tools in El Paso.

Good morning,
Forrest

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint