Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Age Hardening/Softening of Cast Bullets? (Read 17983 times)
Ray_Newman
Senior Forum Member

Age Hardening/Softening of Cast Bullets?
Nov 25th, 2004 at 1:12am
Print Post  
we've a discussion/thread starting on age hardening of cast bullets on the Shiloh board.

Somewhere I thought that the Cast Bullet Assoc had an article that a CB--depending upon alloy-- will slowly harden, the soften over time?

Does anyone else recall this or have any info?

ASSRA Life #194
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Re: Age Hardening/Softening of Cast Bullets?
Reply #1 - Nov 25th, 2004 at 9:34am
Print Post  
Ray,

Well, the info I have is pretty old so might be out of date.

The way I get it is that alloys of Lead & Tin do not appreciably harden over time, altho I do know shooters who feel that you should leave this type bullet sit for a month before shooting.

Alloys that contain Antimony will self harden over a period of 20 to 30 days and then slightly soften.

Self hardening will only go so far so quite a few of the CBA shooters will harden them further by either dropping them directly from the mould into a pail of water, or will put them in an oven and soak them for a given length of time and then immediately drop them into water. Again, they will let these sit for about a month before using them so the hardness will stabilize.

I've never gotten into this so what I've wrote is general in nature and from what I've read in CBA's "The Fouling Shot" over the years. I'm sure if you need exact info there will be someone here who can provide that.

PETE

IP Logged

FAsmus
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 25th, 2004 at 9:36am
Print Post  
Somewhere I thought that the Cast Bullet Assoc had an article that a CB--depending upon alloy-- will slowly harden, the soften over time?

Ray,

I'm sure the subject has been addressed in TFS at one time or another. As for finding it a fellow can get an idex of articals from them, go look it over and request a copy.

However, the short answer is that yes, cast bullets containing anitimony will "age harden" over time and, not only that, they get slightly bigger as they age.

Bullets so treated will never get as hard as heat-treatment will provide but it sure is easier!

The sofening of cast bullets happens to heat-treated bullets. They take about a day to reach their full level of hardness after quenching, then they very slowly get softer. Again, after a long period of time all such bullets reach stabilization of hardness, right around the same level as if they had been allowed to "age-harden" in the first place.

Good morning,
Forrest

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 25th, 2004 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
Ray, how come yer always askin' these thought-provokin' questions?

The article you're seeking is in The Fouling Shot/The Cast Bullet issue #89 Jan-Feb 1991 and was written by Dennis Marshall in response to a question by OH McKagen. It's fairly extensive & gives probably more info than some folks might want, but I've copied it anyway & will mail it to you whenever I can get one of them tuit thingies.

There are other articles on heat-treating bullets (both to harden and to soften them) scattered throughout the issues, but this one gives the best explanation of the mechanisms and results.
HTH, Joe

BTW the CBA is a really neat org for ASSRA shooters, our own FAsmus as well as Wayne Schwartz and others have written for their magazine. The back issues have a LOT of good info.

IP Logged

GWarden
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Nov 25th, 2004 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
On a similiar note, I've read and heard many times that one should not use "old" cast bullets; ones that have been carried over from one summer's shooting till the next spring. I've read that changes take place  in hardness, and change in diameter also. Supposedly such "old" cast bullets are not as accurate as new cast. Question of the day: has anyone done any actual shooting of such "old" and new bullets to see if there is any difference in accuracy? Too much turkey/dressing and pie makes me think too much.
Bob

Game Warden: what boys dream of being and old men wish they could have been

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 25th, 2004 at 10:57pm
Print Post  
Bob,

Well, I'm going to try a first for me and cast up about 2000 bullets for the Krag so I can shoot the CBA's military matches next Summer. So will be able to give you a definitive answer then as I have several targets shot with fresh bullets, and if there's any definitive difference it should show up then.

PETE

IP Logged

ResearchPress

Reply #6 - Nov 26th, 2004 at 3:53am
Print Post  
William Metford in his letters to Sir Henry Halford in the latter half of the 19th century refers to leaving bullets to 'rippen' to the right hardness. Metford used alloys of lead/tin/antimony in his bullets. Here's the sort of note I am referring to:

"28 May 1871
"I sent off Friday some bullets, 200, of 3/4 anty., 2 tin, 50 lead, old and fully ripe and restruck up to .460 diar. instead of the usual match size of 452.5-453.5. Also 200 3/4 anty., 2 tin and 50 lead, new .460; the last are at present too soft, I suppose. They are clearly shorter and being also larger will be liable to distortion."

David

David Minshall - (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) - (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Firearms, long range target shooting and military history
IP Logged

FAsmus
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Nov 26th, 2004 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
I've read and heard many times that one should not use "old" cast bullets; ones that have been carried over from one summer's shooting till the next spring. I've read that changes take place  in hardness, and change in diameter also. 

Bob,

I think we have to keep the bullet separate from the cartridge here.

I, like the fellows below in this thread, really like to shoot well-aged bullets! I love it when I locate a box of "Match" bullets a year or even two after they've been cast. I know then that they are stablized as per hardness and size such that a fellow may reduce at least a couple of the variables we contend with when shooting cast bullets.

On the other hand, a fellow should approach old ammunition loaded with cast bullets with rather low expectations! I have it on good "range authority" that shooting cartridges loaded much longer than a week or two will toss the uncalled flyer even when shooting a proven combination.

We could ask for reasons and/or speculations why this might be so here on-line. Right-off I don't really know for sure why.

I do not know this for an actual proven fact. But I always make sure my "record" shells are fresh!

Good afternoon,
Forrest

IP Logged

EdStutz
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Nov 26th, 2004 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
Guys,

A man from Lead Bullets Technology by the name of Veral Smith wrote a book titled "Jacketed Performance With Cast Bullets". It covers the subject in great detail, without quoting cause there is too much material, suffice to say an alloy of lead/tin will harden but will degrade over a period of 40 days. While an alloy of antimony/tin/lead and a trace of arsenic will age harden to max in about 20-30 days and then will degrade slowly over time. So yes last years bullets may be suspect for accuracy.

Ed

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Nov 26th, 2004 at 11:38pm
Print Post  
Forrest,

Quote:
We could ask for reasons and/or speculations why this might be so here on-line. Right-off I don't really know for sure why.

About the only reason I've heard for this fresh vs old ammo is that the lube in cast bullets will over time tend to "lock" in. The article I read on it said the author had set up a jig of some sort to test how much it took to pull fresh and old cartridges, and if there were any differences between any cartridge in each group. His conclusions were that it took more pressure to pull old ammo and individual cartridges in the old batch varied quite a bit. New loaded bullets pulled easier and were more consistent over the batch.

I haven't tried to verify this, but since reading it I always use loaded ammo no older than two days for match shooting.

As for leaving bullets set for a while or use them fresh, is a good question. Personally I usually shoot fresh bullets, but I know shooters who won't shoot anything fresher than a month old. From the way we all shoot in our club I can't really say one way is better than another. Considering the accuracy we can achieve with PB Lead bullets I'm not sure if you could tell the difference.

PETE

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Nov 27th, 2004 at 10:55am
Print Post  
It's a known and demonstrated fact that jacketed bullets, under some conditions over time, sometimes seemingly 'weld' themselves to the case walls to one degree or another. This of course results in wild shooting because of the randomly and unequally increased bullet pull for the different cartridges.

Knowing what I know about bullet lubes and the way they dry out and otherwise change over time, to me it seems very possible that varying bullet pulls can result with 'old' cast bullet ammunition.

The accuracy-minded jacketed bullet boys have found that their accuracy with old ammo could be restored fairly easily. They simply run their old ammo thru the seater again, adjusting the die to seat the bullets a few thou deeper. As I remember, 0.005" was plenty. This small displacement was enough to break the adhesion, allowing the bullets to pull out of the cases with something approaching their old uniformity, and the old good grouping was restored.

Food for thought IMO.

Pete, maybe you could include a batch of 'reseated' old cartridges in your testing?
ttfn, Joe

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Nov 27th, 2004 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
Joe,

Neat idea about re-seating bullets a bit to break them free. I can see how this would probably work very well with jacketed ammo. But, I wonder if bullet lube when locked into the case would leave a clean surface when broke free. Or, if froze ammo on firing would leave a ring or part of a ring of lube. If so then possibly this might score the sides of the base and be the real cause of inaccuracy in old ammo.

As for doing a test on the idea, I just don't have any cartridges that have been laying around for any length of time. As I mentioned I load up any cartridges I'll need for the weekend on Thursday or Friday, and any left over I'll shoot down within a day or two during the following week.

Just checked to be sure and all I have are about a dozen PP .45/70's. Since they are loaded with BP I'm not sure if seating them deeper would be off much help since they are loaded against compressied powder, and I don't have any jig to pull them.

PETE

IP Logged

GWarden
Senior Forum Member

Reply #12 - Nov 27th, 2004 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Guess there is one way to find out if there is any noticeable difference in breech seated "old" vs "new " bullets.
Will try and shoot several targets on the same day with good weather conditions -so biggest problem will be with the nut behind the trigger, can't blame the weather then.
Bob

Game Warden: what boys dream of being and old men wish they could have been

IP Logged

FAsmus
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Nov 28th, 2004 at 2:49pm
Print Post  

Neat idea about re-seating bullets a bit to break them free. 

PETE,

Your first post and this one read well.

We shooters here in Sheridan think the problem of shooting old ammunition is to do with unequal bullet-pull with shells that have been loaded for an over-long period of time.

I have at least partly overcome this in some loads by intentionally loading to excess overall length and letting the rifle "seat" the bullet upon chambering the round. This will only work when shooting rilfes with some sort of power associated with closing the breech as in Ballards, Stevens and so forth. 

I certainly would not work with BP over a copressed load or some of the smokeless loads I use that are loaded over compress powder and inert cerial of some kind.

Good evening,
Forrest

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Nov 28th, 2004 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
Forrest,

Quote:
I have at least partly overcome this in some loads by intentionally loading to excess overall length and letting the rifle "seat" the bullet upon chambering the round.

An interesting idea I hadn't thought about. What would be your thinkink tho on fouling building up in the throat and then causing OAL to vary?

This is something that has bothered me for many years. Since we have to loosen up neck tension to the point where the bullet isn't deformed I've often wondered if this was still tight enuf so the bullet wouldn't be pushed back as the throat fouls.

I know many feel that best accuracy is gotten by seating the bullets varying amounts off the rifling, but this hasn't been my experience over the years.

PETE

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint