Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic New Rolling Block Actions /Which one??? (Read 5120 times)
Quisto56
Ex Member

New Rolling Block Actions /Which one???
Oct 26th, 2004 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
There seem to be several new rolling block actions being made  Lone star, Ballard  Rifle the italian imports  and Mr R Storie  just to name a few and im sure there is more.  I was hoping to get input from people who haveowned or used these actions  and what they thought about them. Quality price finish materials used   any good opinions. This will be for a extra nice rifle and I want to go first class with everything  Thanks for any opinions and info 

Quisto56

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Re: New Rolling Block Actions /Which one???
Reply #1 - Oct 26th, 2004 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
I have bought Rodney's actions (Farrow, Redfield and D.S. Cole) and will say that they do require more work fitting than the average guy can handle. You can't put one of these actions together with a file .......   A compitent g'smith can do the work but the qualified men are few and far between !  The advantage to a Storie action is you are getting an action of new 8620 steel and you can get an action not available else where. For a roller,   I wouldn't give a second thought to  buying a #5 roller action & converting it to a rifle suiting my wants. I own two of these actions made into a rifle and have another one in the works.     Ken

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Oct 28th, 2004 at 11:30am
Print Post  
Ken;
Just for Quisto56's benefit, I presume you are talking of an original Remington #5 for making up a fine rifle? A person could hardly do better. The Scandinavian actions are also quite good and strong.

You know, this brings up a good point: when building up a fine rifle, should a person use an original action (not getting into the argument over whether one should break down and original rifle to just to get an action - only consideration here is the suitability of an action for a new rifle) or a replica.

I am kind of torn about what to recommend when I am asked. It really depends on the action and what it is to be used for. In this instance, I would also go for an original Remington #5 but I would prefer that it be on an original, unaltered rifle (could even be a little rough). I would feel more confident that it had not been overloaded by some enthusiastic but uninformed previous owner. Any original action needs to be inspected by a QUALIFIED gunsmith before using.

I have both original action rifles and replica action rifles.
Dale53

IP Logged

Quisto56
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 28th, 2004 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
WinkI had decidided to use a new action for just that reason  I figure  if the old actions have lasted 100 years then the new ones should last me as long as I will need it .  I dont know  anything about what the new actions are made of or what action is the strongest and best made.Since it will be a once in a lifetime rifle  I think I should go with the best.  Nothing wrong with a original action just that I wanted new

Quisto56

IP Logged

DonH
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Oct 28th, 2004 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
For what it is worth I have been shooting a Lone Star silhouette rifle for a year and like it a lot. I would have no qualms about buying another from Dave. To my knowledge his receivers are 8620 steel and they are fitted up very well. My only complaint, if you can call it that, is that the tolerances may be just a little too snug! Were I to buy another one I would add the double set triggers but his single trigger adjusted to 2 lbs. is very nice.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint