Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Sharps repro (Read 3968 times)
marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Sharps repro
Oct 24th, 2004 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
I picked up a Sharps model 1874 repro at a local gun show this morning. There's no sign of any maker's name anywhere on this gun. Any suggestions on where to look for hidden names of manufacturer on something like this?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Re: Sharps repro
Reply #1 - Oct 25th, 2004 at 2:17am
Print Post  
Vall,    Is there a ser. # on this piece ??  Robert Wells made 31 of these rifles --- one for me also. Mine doesn't have a name on it. The Well's made sharps was extreemly well nachined & polished !    Ken

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #2 - Oct 25th, 2004 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
Hi Ken,
Yes there is a serial number on the top tang, under the tang sight. I think I've solved the mystery too. I saw something sticking out at the edge of the buttplate, I removed the buttplate, and underneath I found a sales receipt for work that had been done to the Sharps. 
The list included a new barrel, bluing the barrel, cutting a rear sight notch, trigger work on the double set triggers, and fitting the forearm. According to the receipt, it's a Pedersoli, and the barrel is a 36" Green Mountain. I didn't know GM made a barrel over 34"? I pulled the wood, and can't find any info, so I'm guessing it was all on the original barrel.
The gun is chambered for .45-110, and the receipt for the barrel and other work came to more than I paid for the gun! Hope it shoots well!

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 25th, 2004 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
I was under the impression that Pedersoli marked their frames with their name. What is the serial #  ?   If it is over 31, it wasn't made by Well's.     Ken

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #4 - Oct 26th, 2004 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
No Ken, it's a 6 digit serial number. I know nothing about Pedersolis, and I'm just going from the receipt I found. There are only proof marks on the frame of this Sharps. That and the receipt tell me it's Italian for sure, and I guess the previous owner told the gunsmith it was a Pedersoli.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint