Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic testing alloy (Read 6690 times)
skeet

testing alloy
Oct 24th, 2004 at 9:52am
Print Post  
question for anyone,  what method or tool do you use to test lead or alloy for hardness?  skeet

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Re: testing alloy
Reply #1 - Oct 24th, 2004 at 11:33am
Print Post  
This works for me,

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Brent

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 24th, 2004 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
Brent,

Very interesting! I've used this method for just checking to see if I have alloy close to a known one, but was unaware that you could use the same test to actually figure out the Brinell.

PETE

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 24th, 2004 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
Pete, 
If you make up the samples, I'll make a chart that would allow you to calculate lead:tin ratios as well.  I have/had such a chart somewhere but I lost it.   

Brent

IP Logged

skeet

Reply #4 - Oct 24th, 2004 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
brent, thank you for the information.

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Oct 25th, 2004 at 9:21am
Print Post  
Brent,

Thanks! I'll take you up on that one of these days. I've got about 50 lbs of Lead/?? that a Bullseye Pistol shooter gave me because of a mistake he made in loading. I'm assuming it's pure Lead, but not sure, and I've been letting it sit for a coupla years because I didn't want to mix it in with anything else, or use it as is without having some idea what it is.

PETE

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Oct 25th, 2004 at 9:50am
Print Post  
Pete, All I really need to do that is to have a sample of the lead - if it's pure, I can test it against some of my known pure lead - but you can do that easily too if you have any of the Doe Run lead from Bob.  That's pure, and you can run that test quick.   

To make a complete chart though, I would need a small amount - about 500 grs of lead of each alloy.  Preferably in increments from 15:1, 20:1, 25:1.... up to say 40:1.  I can do without all of them, but the more the better.  I just need enough to fill a bottle cap - like  beer bottle cap.  I've got the 25:1 and 40:1 and pure, but I'd like some others and I haven't the time to make up all the alloys.   

Brent

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Oct 26th, 2004 at 11:33am
Print Post  
Brent,

Well, I've got quite a few different alloys, ranging from about 1-10 thru 1-40, plus of course WW's, Lino, and 50/50 combos of those.

Not being much of a beer drinker I didn't know you could even buy beer that had caps on them anymore.  Smiley Must be that expensive stuff that's out of my league!

We'll have to get together when the League starts, or sooner, and see what we can get going on this.

PETE

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Oct 26th, 2004 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
Quote:
 Not being much of a beer drinker I didn't know you could even buy beer that had caps on them anymore.  Smiley Must be that expensive stuff that's out of my league!

Pete, you drank a few in our gunsmith's basement on night as I recall.... But I've got the caps.  Just need the different alloys.   

And I gotta find my lowwall...
Brent

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Oct 26th, 2004 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
Brent,

Just goes to show you that my memory isn't to long either!  Smiley  The stuff I remember is that homemade wine down at Art's farm! Good stuff Maynard!!!!!

We'll have to get together one of these days then and fill a few of those caps up. Shouldn't be much of a chore!

You still don't have that Low Wall back yet? You might have to take a trip up to the Falls and rattle a few cages.

PETE

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint