Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 25  on a 348 case (Read 9266 times)
Quisto56
Ex Member

25  on a 348 case
Oct 5th, 2004 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
Was thinking about the CPA action and a fast stepping 25  for a varmint  barrel.  Wondered if the 25 caliber based on the 348 or something like that had been done   Something like a 25/06 with a rimmed case.  I have the opportunity to shoot long range coyotes as well as deer and antelope  a 25/06 would be nice  but really seem to need a rimmed case   any suggestions 

Quisto56

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Re: 25  on a 348 case
Reply #1 - Oct 6th, 2004 at 12:26am
Print Post  
May I respectfully suggest that you use the standard 25-06 chamber and loading dies, and use any of several parent cases to form a rimmed version of this splendid cartridge? The gunsmith who chambers your rifle SHOULD certainly be able to cut the rim recess to fit whichever parent brass you choose. Some possible parent cases for a rimmed 25-06 include 7x65R and 9.3x74R, both available from European makers such as Norma, RWS & similar, as well as (probably) the new issue of the 405 Winchester. Also I'm sure that Buffalo Arms would be happy to draw (lengthen) some shorter brass such as 444 Marlin, 8x57R or 7x57R to the proper length for you.

Sure is a lot simpler and safer and cheaper to use a standard chamber with rimmed brass. No special reamer, no special dies, no long period of load experimentation and chamber pressure approximation/extrapolation. Just use a stancard 25-06 reamer and headspace gauges and reloading dies along with a shell holder to fit the parent case rim and of course have the barrel's chamber and extractor cut for the same brass.

And forming the brass would sure be a LOT easier.

I would also suggest IDing the brass in some way such as magic marker or paint or a light lathe cut through the headstamp (neatest), so that someone in the future doesn't unknowingly attempt to fire it in its parent chamber.
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

Quisto56
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 6th, 2004 at 1:27am
Print Post  
Thanks for the information  That will be alot easier  I didnt know the cases you mentioned were the same except for the rim. Hopefully  I will get this started before too long. Sort of exciting to think about one rifle that will shoot 25/06  and 45/70 or 348. Sort of covers all the game with one rifle.
Thanks again 

Quisto56

IP Logged

DonH
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 6th, 2004 at 6:03am
Print Post  
Quisto56;
It might be worth considering a rimmed .257 Roberts which would be easily accomplished by necking a 7x57R case to .257. Not quite a .25-06 but not far behind and certainly capable.
There is also the .25 Krag made from a .30-40 case.

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Oct 6th, 2004 at 8:57am
Print Post  
Quisto56,

Actually the first thing I would do is to give a call to Paul Shuttleworth at CPA and see if some of these cartridges you're contemplating can be safely chambered in their action.

The 44 1/2 action is a relatively strong action, and CPA's use of a slightly thicker frame and modern steels still doesn't make it the equivalent of a Mauser type bolt action.

PETE

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #5 - Oct 6th, 2004 at 9:33am
Print Post  
Quisto56, 

What's wrong with the standard .25-35 that was used in many single shots and that was, at last check, still available in factory loads even? (or at least the brass is still made.) The "parent case" is the easily obtainable .30-30 to .38-55, so making brass and finding an extractor is no problem!
     I have owned a high-wall in this caliber with a pencil thin barrel.  Even so, it was fun to shoot, and though it was sort of cobbled together, it seemed to have good accuracy potential...I hope to get back to it again sometime.

Regards,
Charlie Shaeff
Green Frog

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Oct 6th, 2004 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
Pete raises an interesting question. I didn't address action suitability since I don't care for Stevens very much, but the strength issue is certainly an important one. Regardless of my personal prejudices, the 44 1/2 action is still not one of the very strongest of the single shots & might not be a suitable candidate for 50,000 psi or previously-untested wildcat load development in the upper ranges.

Several stronger actions lend themselves to a switch-barrel configuration although CPA is the only one that offers it in factory form (I believe). If official NRA BPCR Silhouette competition isn't a consideration then you might consider a Martini or Sharps Borchardt or other hammerless design, and there are several external-hammer actions that would work nicely albeit on a custom-built basis.
TIA, Joe
« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2009 at 8:40am by Jim_Borton »  

IP Logged

Quisto56
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Oct 6th, 2004 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
What are some of the stronger switch barrel actions and where could  I get a look at some of them.  All I have ever used  is a old military rolling block  and a ruger #1 as far as single shots go

Quisto56

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Oct 6th, 2004 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
The CPA action is plenty strong enough for high pressure cartridges of the normal variety. You DO need to get the heat treated varmint action. CPA chambers the rifle for .225 Winchester which is about the diameter of the 30"06 and is a fifty thousand pound cartridge as loaded by the factory.

Incidentally, Roberts used the original Stevens 44 1/2 action in the development of the .257 Roberts. I am a .257 Roberts fan and have two of them. That would be an excellent choice in a rimmed case and if you want a bit more, then the Ackley .257 Roberts Improved (with a rimmed case) would be a fine choice. Frankly, a .257 standard Roberts will drive a 100 grain bullet at 3000 fps. That is a fine load. I loaned one of my Roberts to a friend and he took a nice black bear with it (115 grain Nosler Partrtion bullet at 2800 fps). One shot kill.

Your switch barrel idea is not a bad idea and if you just load with common sense, the heat treated CPA (NOT the case hardened action) will do just fine. Read CPA's web site for further information.

Dale53

IP Logged

DonH
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Oct 7th, 2004 at 6:21am
Print Post  
The .257 Roberts in it's standard loading is a 45,000 cup cartridge. The .30-40 Krag is a bit less, I believe and is listed as an available chambering by Shuttleworth. Either the Roberts or the .25 Krag would make sense from a safety standpoint. I like a wide margin myself.
If you just need a high pressure round in a traditional single shot, Ballard now lists a High Wall chambered for such with the action being made of 4140 alloy. I know the High Wall has been chambered for just about everything but the newest of them is nearing 100 years old.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Oct 7th, 2004 at 9:05am
Print Post  
Quisto,

I think I would keep the cartridges compatable in a number of areas.

First Rim size.  You can put together a switch barrel based on the same family of cartridges.  For example the 30/06 has a .473 rim and a number of good cartridges are formed from it.

.358 Winchester, .308 .7mm08 .257 Roberts .243 Win and .22 250 all share the same base dims

A 7x57 rimmed would do the same thing and perhaps would be the best base case for a CPA

Compatablity lets you switch barrels without changing extractors and share loading tools, In fact with press type dies you can use the same set up and only change the neck sizing ring and bullet seater 

Also the cartridges would share the same working pressure which gives you better feel for what is happing as you work up your loads. And perhaps they would like the same powder too.

Another thing is for a modern set up there is no reason to go for the long cartridges.  As much as I like the 30/06 it is 100 years old and designed for the powder avalable at the time. You never need to fill the case with modern powders.  It's better to use one of the shorter cartridges for modern rifles . More accurate and efficent

Also for a single shot there little reason to use a tapered case. They were designed to feed in magazines. The staight sided wildcats not only hold a bit more powder they handle preassure better and don't need as much triming. For hand dies straight sides work better.  Any of the 06 based rounds are avalable as a straight sided wildcat.

Tell you the truith  I keep my CPA's for target use but have put together the basics of a hunting switch barrel SS. Of course our Eastern hunting and game laws favor a different set up. I am shooting a T/C carbine on a Contender action in .22 lr & .22 K Hornet. 

This year I am adding a .45x209 muzzle loader and intend to add a high velocity deer round sometime. Probably a improved 7/30 Waters but perhaps a .25  on the 30/30 case. I do want straight sides on the deer cartridge. The K Hornet vs the standard one convinced me it's a better way to go.

I put Leopold QR bases on the barrels and use a 3/9 compact A/Objective Leopold scope. Premier Reticule added target knobs and the rifle will zero after barrel and scope switches when I dial in the proper settings. It never needs more than a click or two to fine tune zeros. I don't know if it do so well in the higher recoiling rounds. 

You project should be a lot of fun and be very usefull for hunting.

Boats

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Oct 7th, 2004 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
Browning has chambered their new repro, low-wall. of all things Shocked in .260 Rem. so they must have a LOT of confidence in the strength of the action.  kind of surprised me to see in in the low wall version rather than the hi-wall action -- new alloys etc I guess.  It would make a heck of a nicew woods walking rifle.  I'm sort of looking for one myself.  I know that the action is a bit quirky to work on but .  .  .  .   DWS

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #12 - Oct 7th, 2004 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
I feel that the .25 Niedner Krag would be an excellent choice for varmint and thin skinned game. Fine caliber and very accurate. If you wish to pursue switch barrels for different calibers then the 30-40 Krag case lends itself to A) 30-40 Krag, B) 40-70 SS, and i am sure many other cases based on the 30-40 krag. Also in single shots you have the benefit of a strong rimmed case. I have a .25 Niedner Krag on a Hiwall and it is a tackdriver. Regards, FITZ.

FITZ

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint