Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Charles C Johnson single shots (Read 8266 times)
j_c_johnson

C C Johnson's grandson

Charles C Johnson single shots
Sep 26th, 2004 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
Gentlemen, I am the elder grandson of Charles C Johnson, 
the southwest Ohio riflesmith active from the early 1930's to 1972.  I recall the many visits to my grandparents when growing up, particularly the enjoyment of getting to enter the shop.  My first rifle was a gift from my grandfather on my 12th birthday, a J M Marlin Ballard converted to a .22 position rifle for his personal use in 1940.  I would very much enjoy hearing from any of you who have rifles built by him.  I have 
5 rifles he built, 2 .22 Ballard position rifles that were his personal #1 and #2 target rifles, the first Ballard rifle he rebarreled, done at the request of barrelmaker Charles Diller for a customer in Sioux City, Iowa, and 2 Hiwall Winchesters, one in 2R Lovell and one in .219 Donalsdon Wasp.
I am honored to be a member of this forum.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Re: Charles C Johnson single shots
Reply #1 - Sep 26th, 2004 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
Hello again, JC.  I will be looking forward to meeting you in person as well.  How late are you planning on being at the range Saturday?  I am hoping to spend the morning Sat at the OGCA show in Wilmington, OH then come up in the afternoon to shoot Sunday.  I hope that I can catch up with you sometime soon if not Saturday.

Several years ago I had a rifle that your grandfather had built (or been involved in building.)  It was a Winchester high-wall that had been rebarreled with a heavy round bbl in .22 K Lovell or some such and had a speed lock hammer and single set trigger that was purported to be his work.  There was some doubt as to whether he had made the stock for it, a very radical varmint type stock.  The rifle came to me with the barrel totally plugged for about an inch or so in the middle, so was disassembled and the receiver reused in a restoration project.  I think the barrel is still around here somewhere.  I really want to see some of his work that has NOT suffered the slings and arrows of cruel fate, as everyone who has seen such seems to be favorably impressed.

All for now, hope to see you at E-G.

Charlie Shaeff
the Green Frog  Smiley

IP Logged

singleshot
Senior Forum Member

I love singleshots!

Reply #2 - Sep 26th, 2004 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
JC- Your grandfather barreled a rifle for my father, Willis L. Gregory, in the early/mid '50s.  It is a Stevens 44 1/2 that was converted from RF to CF by Alfred Loescher (sp?), who then sent it to CC for the barrel (a 22 K-Hornet).  My father then stocked it in curly maple and shot crows and groundhogs throughout the SE US with it for years.  I have also "blooded" it on muskrat.  There was a letter from your grandfather to my father that staed that the RF/CF conversion was the best he had ever seen.  I will attempt to locate it and send you a copy.

Willis Gregory, aka singleshot

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 27th, 2004 at 12:06am
Print Post  
Welcome JC,

I have a .22 High Wall relined by your grandfather. Shoots very well with Win. T22. Does real well in indoor competition, and never heard any complaints from any Squirrels I've shot with it. It's one of my "keeper" guns.

PETE

IP Logged

j_c_johnson

C C Johnson's grandson

Re: Charles C Johnson single shots - stocking
Reply #4 - Sep 27th, 2004 at 6:55am
Print Post  
Green Frog, as to stock work, granddad would fit stocks from time to time, but did not build stocks as the metalworking kept him so busy. Based on his shop records, he averaged 200 - 250 jobs per year. There were several individuals in his area who did stock work whom he would have make the stocks when it was requested by customers.  Many of the jobs were done without restocking with the customer reusing the stock on the rifle or having it stocked by a stockmaker of their preference.   
I will be at Etna Green Saturday morning, but feel free to contact me and arrange a visit.

IP Logged

Mike65
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Sep 27th, 2004 at 9:39am
Print Post  
JC 

I have a Flobert that was lined by your grandfather to 22lr.  He may have done some stock work on this also as the brass butt plate, which is not original to the rifle, is stamped CC on the top.

The rifle shoots great and gets comments whenever it comes out of the case.

Mike

IP Logged

singelshotman
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Sep 27th, 2004 at 10:18am
Print Post  
I had a ballard once by c.c.in .22rf, great shooter, unfortunity i had to sell to needed cash-i sold it to jim Goergen, so propably some single-shot collector bought it.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #7 - Oct 4th, 2004 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
JC, sorry I got to Etna Green too late to meet you this time. I did have the good fortune to pick up one of your grandfather's old "Red Head" loading presses with his .30-06 dies and shell holder, as I travelled through the Ohio Gun Collectors' show.  I also met an older gentleman named Ken who had been one of your grandfather's long time customers and who remembered setting up at gun shows next to a son of CC's who had a young son himself.  Could that young son have been you??  Anyway, now I will be on a quest for the special shell holders I will need to use the press for .32-40 and .45-70.  Never a dull moment!
Hope to see you at the next match at E-G.  Please stay in touch.

Regards,
Charlie the Frog  Smiley

IP Logged

j_c_johnson

C C Johnson's grandson

Reply #8 - Oct 5th, 2004 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
Green Frog;
Email me and discuss shell holders.  I may be able to help you out.  Look forward to hearing from you.

Jerry C Johnson

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint