Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic New Rifle (Read 6644 times)
Quisto56
Ex Member

New Rifle
Oct 2nd, 2004 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
Looking to get a new rifle   I was thinking about the CPA  with a  modle 52 stock  a #4 barrel 30 long  in 45/70   I have never seen a CPA  but have heard they are good  What is the general feelings about these rifles  and their suitability as a hunting rifle   I usually hunt horseback  and weight is not really a factor within reason.  The idea of getting a second barrel in a varmit caliber is very apealing  but I thought I would ask the folks who know  what you think about these rifles

Quisto56

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Re: New Rifle
Reply #1 - Oct 2nd, 2004 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
Quisto56

Well, you can certainly do worse, and not a whole lot better, than a CPA copy of the Stevens 44 1/2. CPA beefs up the dimensions of their rifle slightly over the originals, and of course makes them out of better steel.

But I would think more carefully about the stock design and barrel wgt. if I was planning on using the rifle mostly for hunting. A #3 barrel might be a little better in case you have to do any amount of walking. Your horse won't notice the difference but you will after a mile or so. As for a stock I'd look at a more traditional sporting stock. But if you'd like to do some offhand target shooting too then the Model 52 stock seems to be a good compromise.

Depending on whether you will be mounting a scope, iron sights or using smokeless or black powder will determine max./min. barrel length to some extent. A scope and smokeless powder doesn't really need anything more than 28". Some would argue even less, but I think anything shorter detracts from the overall "look" of a SS rifle. For irons and BP you might even want to increase the barrel length to 32" in order to get a better burn with BP. Of course if you really want that length and wgt. it certainly won't hurt anything. Especially if you plan on doing a lot of plinking with it. The heavier barrel will be nice to have to soak up the recoil.

And, by all means consider getting a smaller caliber varmint barrel to. These guns are ideal for switching barrels and many people have done so.

PETE

IP Logged

rimfire
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 4th, 2004 at 7:22am
Print Post  
if you haven't done so yet check out their web site @
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links);  - I have one in 32-40 and 
with an extra bbl in 22lr with rimfire breachblock.   
I like the rifle and they are good people to work with. 
They stand behind their product - rimfire

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Oct 4th, 2004 at 8:34am
Print Post  
I have a high regard for CPA rifles. I have even HIGHER regard ( if possible ) for CPA - Paul Shuttleworth and his daughter, Gail Shuttleworth. They absolutely stand behind their product. Several years after I purchased mine, they improved the firing pin configuration to eliminate or greatly reduce the possibility of broken firing pins. They made the "fix" retroactive at NO cost. In my estimation, that is "above and beyond". They are FINE rifles and FINE people.

Dale53

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Oct 4th, 2004 at 9:20am
Print Post  
Quisto,

I can 2nd the comments on CPA Paul and Gail. Real nice people to deal with.  I am only guessing but I would think they have built more special and target 44 1/2  rifles than Stevens did.

On the stocks,  I have 2 CPA's One is pure Schuetzen with 32/40 and .22 LR barrels. 

The other is stocked for BPC Silouette and is 38/55 # 4 with an extra walking sporter weight barrel in 219 Zipper.  The BPC stock is very suitable for a hunting rifle and would be the stock I would want if using the 45/70  Cheekpiece and shotgun but would be best for the recoil.  The # 4 barrel would also be the most suitable for a 45/70 hunting rifle.

I think I would avoid the Stevens 52 stock for a cartridge that recoils like a 45/70   The prong butt plates like on the origanal rifles are pretty hard on you in a recoiling cartridge except when fired offhand.  I shoot Trapdoors a lot and even the mild cresent butt on a Trapdoor is tiring after a while.  Prone it's amost impossable to shoot well.

For your Varmit barrel Paul sets up in a number of calibers and you could get about any reasonable cartridge as well as the barrel weight and configuaration for the type of hunting you plan to do. The BPC buttstock is also very good for a Varmit rifle.

You also have a number of sighting options. I use Old Style scopes and target tang sights but CPA does set rifles up for modern scope mounts.  And a number of the tang sight builders sell both hunting and target models on the same base.

You would not go wrong with a CPA 

Boats

IP Logged

Quisto56
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Oct 5th, 2004 at 1:37am
Print Post  
has anyone had a CPA chambered in something like a 25/06 or a fast stepping 25 wildcat . Was thinking about something fsuitable for coyotes and deer/antalope. The more I look a the the CPA  and after hearing what you have said about the quality  and customer service    It just seems like one rifle  with a couple barrels  would fill the bill and be cheaper in the long run. One gun to get used to handling .Any suggestions or ideas

Quisto56

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Oct 5th, 2004 at 8:08am
Print Post  
I have thought about this often but fall back on my Bolt actions when looking for high performance. My opinon is not based on experence but knowing the CPA's pretty well and thinking about it a lot here is some food for thought.

Like most Single Shots The CPA's do best in a rimmed cartridge.  If I wanted a .25 cal  for modern hunting I would look at one of the wildcats on a 30/30 case There was a factory 25/35 on the 30/30 case that should produce good velocity in a modern strong rifle. Particulary since you can load pointed bullets in the CPA.

Look at the data for 7/30 Walters too. With pointed bullets and a long barrel it's a real good performer.

Any of the 30/30 based cartridges are considered safe in a T/C Contender pistol action and the CPA is certainly stronger than they are.

To my mind the best of the small .25's is the .250 Savage and perhaps CPA can fit an extractor for the rimless case. I don't know if they recomend the action for cartridges of this preassure. Again using the T/C example they do not recomend it for the Contender action and use the stronger Encore action for higher pressure cartridges like the Savage.

I would not think the CPA action suitable for cartridges based on the 06 or 308. If you want a single shot that powerfull the Ruger is probably the way to go.

It would make a nice rifle set up in  45/70 .25 high velocy and a .22 Varmit barrel. Add a .22 long rifle and you would never need another gun for hunting

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint