Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Sight Problems (Read 11396 times)
thebear
Ex Member

Sight Problems
Sep 12th, 2004 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
Gentlemen, I purchased a highwall on Friday that has been lined to 38-55. It shot about 8" high at 15 yards so I changed the front sight to an MVA Winchester style that I had and I am still 6" high at 100 yards. The MVA sets at about .375 to the center of the aperature from the barrel flat and the rear sight is a Marbles that sets about 2.062" off the tang to the center of the aperature. The Marbles is turned all the way in so there is no adjustment left. Any ideas as to what I need to do? This is going to be a hunting rifle and appears to be sort of a parts gun. Thanks Thebear

IP Logged

MI-shooter

Re: Sight Problems
Reply #1 - Sep 12th, 2004 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
Marbles has three sight staff heights. Maybe one of the others will be the height that would work. Call them and they can send you the parts, for a fee that is.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Sep 13th, 2004 at 6:40am
Print Post  
It's best to do your figuring with a pencil rather than gunsmith an expensive sight or rifle blindly

I don't see your sight radius which you need to figure out how much to raise the front sight.  For 36 inch sight radius .001 is about 1 moa so .008 would make the correction.

I would suspect your sight radius is less so less that .008 would make it zero.

You can go higher but not lower so make any mistake too high. (the rear sight will correct if you go too high)

If you don't want to go the calcuation route just duct tape a higher front sight on out or some easy worked materal. Piece of plastic or cardbord. Then cut it down until she zeros then measure the height from the bottom of the dovetail so you know what you need .

Once you have the exact height required in hand it's simpler to mail order sights.

Boats

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Sep 13th, 2004 at 9:58am
Print Post  
Fred,
Boats is giving you good advice. 

After you determine the correct front sight height, then go to Lyman Products and look at their 1/16" ivory bead front hunting sight - it comes in many different heights. If you prefer a globe frpnt sight, then you can use their 17A front sight - it also comes in several different heights.

Here is the link to the front sights (in both ivory and gold):

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Dale53

IP Logged

wesg

Reply #4 - Sep 13th, 2004 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
Boats,

You're right as far as technique, but you're off by one decimal place. 1 inch at 100 yards is .010 inch at a 36 inch sight radius.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Sep 14th, 2004 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
WESG

You are right. I typed from memory.  Given 36 inch sight radius 1 moa would be .01 inch sight movement.

My sights work better than my memory. That's why I write them down when shooting.

Typing is another thing

Boats

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #6 - Sep 15th, 2004 at 9:12am
Print Post  
Nice sights.  Anyone know where these can be had that will fit in the 7/16 dovetails of Stevens rifles?  Or to modify them so they will fit?  2520

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #7 - Sep 15th, 2004 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
You had to ask the difficult question! Hope someone has an answer, because I have several Stevens that I am looking for front sights for! Haven't found a source yet.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Sep 16th, 2004 at 12:08am
Print Post  
Gentlemen;
I know that this sounds rather "crude" but have you thought about merely epoxying a shim in place (could also use soft solder). If it is done in a "workmanlike" manner should work just fine.

Dale53

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Sep 16th, 2004 at 12:16am
Print Post  
I've had splendid success using steel shim stock & Black Max, the Loctite adhesive. I glue a layer of 0.010" (or 0.020" or whatever) to the bottom of the front sight male dovetail, and slightly taper & break the edges so it'll start into the female barrel dovetail OK. Then check for size and either glue another layer or stone that one down to a good press fit. Works like a charm for those excessively loose fits, I believe it'll work for the Stevens upsize also. Any kind of good adhesive will work, I used Black Max 'cause I had some. Just don't make the fit TOO tight, the adhesive does have a yield point.
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #10 - Sep 16th, 2004 at 9:11am
Print Post  
Tried solder with mixed results.  Shims also but never thought about adhesives or epoxy.  These have promise.  Thanks for the advise.  2520

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Sep 16th, 2004 at 10:31am
Print Post  
2520;
We are here but to serve... Wink

Dale53

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Sep 19th, 2004 at 6:15am
Print Post  
I have some front sights that take Lyman apertures and fit a 7/16" dovetail. They go in without hammering, have a set screw to install and for coarse adjustments.  I had front and rear sights made to fit Sharps rifles, think they're great but few ever sold. Fronts are $35, there's a picture on AuctionArms.com, where I'm trying to sell the damn things and get my money back.
joe b.

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Sep 19th, 2004 at 8:38am
Print Post  
But; from the barrel flat to the center of the aperture is about .320". This would make your rifle shoot even higher.
Sorry about that. I designed the sight as low as possible to keep my face somewhere near the stock at longer ranges.
joe b.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint