Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Fitting stocks (Read 14532 times)
Brent
Ex Member

Fitting stocks
Sep 13th, 2004 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
I just got my fancy new .22 back from Billy Tierce.  I had him fit a partially inletted English walnut blank to my low wall bloop barreled .22.  I managed to make it especially challenging for him, but he really did a very very nice job.  And the day AFTER it arrived, the bill showed up.  So, he doesn't take your money until after you have seen his work.  I couldn't ask for more.   

I recommend him highly, if, like me, you just can't find the time to fit up a new piece of wood.  In my case, he did the fitting and major sanding and I'll finish sand it and the finish it myself.  After that, I will probably have him checker it.   

But before that happens, some squirrels are in serious trouble.  Maybe a few targets too.

Brent

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Re: Fitting stocks
Reply #1 - Sep 13th, 2004 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
I told you so, I told you so  Grin .   You will love his checkering Brent !  Tell him to use the crazy glue on your checkering job -- he'll know what to do. Those 3/1 ratio diamonds will wear forever and the grain will flow thru perfectly.  I have a few more to send him myself. So far, everyone he has done for me was perfect !  Try him for his ice bluing -- wears almost as good as a slow rust blue. The finish is tougher and the blue is deeper than a regular blue. He blues about once a week. I would suggest you hand polish the metal first to save money & for a more profeshional look.     Ken

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 14th, 2004 at 9:24am
Print Post  
Yup Ken, you were right.  I'll do my own bluing though. I enjoy rust bluing and I think I do a pretty good job of it.  Next however, is the stock finishing job.  I have to decide whether I want to add a little color or not.   

Brent

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 14th, 2004 at 11:25am
Print Post  
Have you given thought to using alkanet root ?  I have used the ground up version of the root and added it to turp.  Put solution in large mayo jar & placed it in a large pan of boiling water to really/quickly bring out color. I will shake the jar from time to time to help agitate the mix to get more color. Nice thing about using turp is that you don't have to sand raised grain back down. Works fine for me on Eng. walnut.    Ken

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Sep 14th, 2004 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
Ken,
Where does one find alkanet root?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Sep 14th, 2004 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
Welll, first you gotta find an alkanet bush  Grin    Okay, just couldn't resist doing that.  I would suggest you contact a wood workers supply house.  What I have was donated to me by a guy some years back and I don't know where he got it.   Ken

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Sep 15th, 2004 at 8:23am
Print Post  
Quote:
Ken,
Where does one find alkanet root?

Marlinguy, I think Dixie Gun Works sells it.  At least they used to.   

For this rifle, I am thinking of following some ideas suggested by Stephen Dodd Hughes.  He uses a stain that I believe is alcohol based and he puts it on AFTER a coat of sealer (Permalyn).  I've seen several of his guns in a museum show two years back or so, and his books of course.  They impressed the heck out of me, so I thought I would go that route.   

Brent

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Sep 15th, 2004 at 11:38am
Print Post  
FWIW -- I tried soaking the alkanet root in a thinner for about two weeks but had no luck getting the stain to leach out into the thinner. didn't try rubbing alcohol however as it contains mostly water. Turp however did very well for me and is alsoan organic vehicle and compatible with wood.   This is interesting Brent, please keep us posted .   Ken

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Sep 15th, 2004 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
Marlinguy,

Brent's right. In Dixie's 2003 catalog they list Alkanet Root for sale for $33.95. Pretty pricey stuff!! No particulars other than they have it, so if you're looking for some it might pay to call and find out what amount you get and if it's in solution or not.

PETE

IP Logged

Jimofatl

Reply #9 - Sep 15th, 2004 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
Brent, 

Since it is a Winchester, You might look at this site

Jim

IP Logged

First_Shirt
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Sep 15th, 2004 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
You can get ground alkanet root from "From Nature With Love".  They also have very nice yellow beeswax and anhydrous lanolin for boolit lube.  Try this link 

Price is a LOT better than Dixie, too!

Greg

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Sep 16th, 2004 at 8:26am
Print Post  
Jim,
I know of winrest - and I use their rust blue solution and have used their red-oil finish.  On this particular rifle, I will use the same bluing for the barrel, but finish will be entirely different.  An original winnie has a red-stained Iowa black walnut stock, but this rifle has a custom stock that is made of California english walnut from Cecil Fredi.  And that is just the beginning of it's oddities.  In the end, it will be a rifle built to please only me.   

Brent

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Sep 16th, 2004 at 10:35am
Print Post  
Brent;
I my "Not so humble opinion", pleasing "Me" is a high aspiration. All of the great works were done by people pleasing "me" (the artist, author, etc). The fact that other people like it is a bonus....

Dale53

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Sep 16th, 2004 at 10:52am
Print Post  
Dale, I agree, but my fragile ego might be bruised if everyone snickers when I pull it out of the case Smiley Smiley

In the end, it will be a pretty guy I think.  After the first coat last night, I may not stain afterall.  The wood looks just about right as it is.   

Brent

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Sep 16th, 2004 at 11:08am
Print Post  
Brent,

You gonna have this famous gun done in time to do some squirrel hunting with it this Fall? Or is it to pretty for that!?  Smiley

PETE

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint