Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic .43 Spanish (Read 3053 times)
Blacki
Ex Member

.43 Spanish
Sep 10th, 2004 at 10:12am
Print Post  
Well I finally got to fire the old girl today.Hooked it up so that I could fire it by using a long pull cord on the trigger ( better safe than sorry ) after all she is > 100 years old! Used handloaded Spanish Remington brass with 65 grs. of B.P. and a .439 bullet with a .030 veg. wad . Fired at a log approx. 15 ft. away.Great old BOOM and cloud of B.P. smoke, what a thrill!!Only problem was that the bullet keyholed the log ( tumbled?? ).Using a larger bullet or paper patching should help this problem, I assume. Any suggestions?May also try breech seating a 45 cal. bullet.

Blacki

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: .43 Spanish
Reply #1 - Sep 10th, 2004 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
BP is the way to go.  The tapered or funnel-shaped barrel is a challenge.  I recommend using only nearly pure lead bullets for experimenting.  Find some 45-70 bullets & try them.  I would convert some hollow-base form with a drill press.  Drill some of them very deeply to let them collapse inward instead of transferring the swaging force to the old barrel.  I have shot a lot of bullets into a box of dry sand when I wanted to inspect the bullets after firing.  About 3 feet of sand will stop most bullets.  The sand will scratch the bullets, but I would only be looking for gross diferences; end-on hits vs. keyholes and what the bullet bases look like after firing.  Someone else will say sawdust or something else.  I have only used sand.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint