Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Fitting stocks (Read 14531 times)
JDSteele
Ex Member

Re: Fitting stocks
Reply #15 - Sep 17th, 2004 at 1:07am
Print Post  
Brent, IMO the only good reason for me to build a rifle is to please me. In fact I seldom show a rifle after completion except when at the range & someone wanders up before I can put it away. Gotta answer too many questions otherwise.

But I gotta confess I showed off the Ken Hurst-engraved low wall when finished, & I also gotta confess that I squirrel hunt with it. Sure would be a shame not to let the squirrels appreciate your new little beauty too, no?

BTW I've had good success using the Pilkington stains but only if allowed to dry thoroughly in our swamp-like rain forest atmosphere down here. Have used the Permalyn finish for many many years with the same caveat.
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Sep 19th, 2004 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
Joe, I'm probably not going to stain in the end.  Looks good as it is.  Was temping but decided against it in the end.  

The action will be cased, the barrel I will rust blue myself, and the swiss hook will be nickeled.  

This will also have the funky barrel that has a 16" Lilja barrel lined inside a 0.575" bored out #2 octagon that is 28" long.  Seems to hang well, which surprised me a bit.

Pete,
yes it will squirrel hunt - and soon.  In the white, but the squirrels won't mind.

Brent

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Sep 20th, 2004 at 12:26am
Print Post  
Brent,

I'm sure the Squirrels will wait to. Actually still way to much foliage on the trees and the ground. Could hear them yesterday but they were sure hard to see let alone get a shot at.

Besides the Turkeys we saw I'll send you a picture of a coupla Squirrels and the guns we used too. Ought to whet your appetite a little. Boy! That stock on GWarden's CPA sure makes my Low Wall look sick!  Sad Surprised he'll even take it out hunting.

PETE

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Sep 20th, 2004 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
Brent,       I have a source that does my nickel plating.  They do the original nic. plating without added brighteners that everyone uses today --- it won't look like a 49 Ford bumper !  These guys make their own plating solution and have been doings so since the early 30's --- family run business.   Contact me if interested.     Ken

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint