Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Browning B78 Sights (Read 11745 times)
Spitpatch
Ex Member

Browning B78 Sights
Aug 1st, 2004 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Howdy. I'm looking for a method whereby a tang sight can be installed on a Browning B78 45-70.  These rifles have no tang behind the action/buttstock junction.  Trying to get something of better (longer) radius than the factory buckhorn, and thereby being able to install a globe front in the barrel dovetail. Is installing into the top of the grip (wood) the only option here?  Anybody do this with good results?

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Re: Browning B78 Sights
Reply #1 - Aug 1st, 2004 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
Spitpatch --  I would/could only suggest you have a hand made tang of necessary length/width X 1/8" thick 4140 steel welded to the rear of the action. This would require inletting into the stock wrist and a bit of shaping the radius to match the rad. of the tang sight base for a good fit. Of course, this would also require drilling and taping for base and the action be reblued. FWIW,   Ken

IP Logged

singleshot
Senior Forum Member

I love singleshots!

Reply #2 - Aug 1st, 2004 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
I have made adapters for these to attach Redfield type peeps to the receiver bridge- fairly easy to make with a lathe and mill Roll Eyes

Willis Gregory, aka singleshot

IP Logged

buchsenmacher

Reply #3 - Aug 1st, 2004 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
Spitpatch,
The method that Ken suggests is a very good one and is the way Browning put tangs on the first 1885's.
However there is another way to skin this cat.
Take a piece of brass 3/8" wide and 3/16" thick and 2-1/2" long and inlet it into the wrist of the stock. It should stand a little proud of the wood so you can file it flush. It should then be drilled and tapped for the sight mounting screws and be epoxied into the wood. This will give a solid, metal base for the sight. There may be some slight movement of the sight from summer to winter as the wood expands and contracts with moisture but if the stock bolt is kept tight this should be minimal.
When the next issue of the Journal comes out my series on the "Modest Schuetzen" will pick up again and I'll be covering installing a tang like this on the H&R.

Steve Durren

Steven Durren
Professional member, ACGG

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 2nd, 2004 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
Spit patch.   Steve is correct. I forgot that I have done the same thing on a large Martini action and it works just great !

IP Logged

First_Shirt
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Aug 3rd, 2004 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
Spitpatch,

There is one more way.  I'm shooting a rebarreled B78 in BPCR silhouette competition right now.  I attached my MVA tang sights by drilling/tapping a 10x32 hole in the rear of the action, right behind the cartridge deflector, for the front screw.  The rear of the tang is fastened with a brass insert that is threaded 10x32 machine threads on the inside, and wood screw threads on the outside.  This insert is screwed into a pre-drilled hole in the stock wrist.  You can usually find these inserts at larger hardware stores (but might have to re-drill/tap to get the size you want)

I haven't had any problems with mine so far (going on 2 years of twice-monthly matches), but will have a tang welded on as soon as I can con my favorite metalsmith into the job.

Greg

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Aug 27th, 2004 at 11:21pm
Print Post  
SP, I inletted a false tang as Steve describes above on my '78 action. It works fine but be absolutely certain you have the screws straight. and the gun and false tang leveled and squared up properly or you can wind up with the sight staff canted.  DWS

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

longhunter79
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Aug 30th, 2004 at 11:53pm
Print Post  
Even if you get the sights a little off you can shim them to plum.  Put your rifle in a vice an level it. Both front to back and side to side. If you have a a sprit level in your front sight level it, Once you are true then put a level along the side of your rear sight(vertical).  If you are off shim till it becomes plum  with the bore. If you dont  have a  spirit level in your front sight and  you have a octagnal barrel you can lay your level  across it and adjust you rifle in the vice to get it level.  You can also put you level across the action and level this way also. Once you determin the shims needed  cut them to fit under the sight out of sight and you are there.  You should plum in your sight front to back also.  Most sights have an adjustment for the  vertical notch(front to back)  and this needs to be adjusted  and plumed in as well.

Hope that helps.

Jon

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint