Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Close focusing for scope (Read 7283 times)
Dale53
Oldtimer

Close focusing for scope
Jul 30th, 2004 at 9:30am
Print Post  
I have a couple of modern scopes that I would like to use indoors at fifty feet. There is one hitch, however. They don't focus that close. I have a fixed power Leupold 12X that has the same problem. However, Leupold has (or had) an optional close up lens, that when screwed into the front of the scope, allows you to focus at fifty feet. Nifty! I have had one for many years and used it whenever I needed to use that scope indoors.

The new scopes are high power variables and have threaded objectives. There are all kinds of camera +1, +2, +3, etc "close up" lenses that enable cameras to focus closer than they would otherwise be able to do. Assuming that I could find a camera close up lens whose threads would fit the scope objective, has anyone had any success with this method? It would be very helpful to have information as to what "power" the close up lens would need to be. I can try the local camera store but limited selection of lenses may force me to have to order a lens. You see my quandry...

Dale53

IP Logged

Long_Rifle_101
Ex Member

Re: Close focusing for scope
Reply #1 - Jul 30th, 2004 at 10:43am
Print Post  
Hello Dale 53, We shoot 50 foot 22 BR in the winter. Some of 
our older scopes do not adjust down to 50 feet even though
they have adjustable objectives. Some of the fellows devise a short extension on the eyepiece that will have a cap. then they use a peep hole in the cap. It does not have to be precision. Some of the caps were soft plastic tube covers.
Then adjust the ocular so you can see the target and the 
peep hole will overcome the paralax correction.

I use camera lens filters on the objectives on my varmint scopes. I buy a lens adapter that is designed to step up from a small diameter lens to a larger diameter. I glass the male end of the  adapter to the objective end of the scope leaving the female end out. Then I screw in a camera filter which is usually the polarized lens for glare. If use use wax for a release agent you can remove the adapter from the scope.
Good Luck Long Rifle

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Jul 30th, 2004 at 11:48pm
Print Post  
LongRifle;
Thank you for your reply.

Dale53

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Aug 2nd, 2004 at 7:24am
Print Post  
Dale,

I shoot in my basement at 10 meters.  My old external adjustment scopes have no problem focusing and on my Airgun a Weaver KT 15 will go down to  10 meters too.

But when I tried one of my 6.5x20 Leopolds it would not, Returned it to them and they adjusted it at no charge.  I think the whole turnaround time was under a week..  I bought a new 3x9 compact with A/O for a hunting rifle,  Same thing It would not focus short but Leapold fixed it no charge and fast turnaround.

I guess they have little demand for that close and don't set up for it.  I have not seen any negative in long range focus with the Leopolds that were adjusted.

Boats

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Aug 2nd, 2004 at 8:47am
Print Post  
Boats,
Thanks for sharing that information with us.

Dale53

IP Logged

MI-shooter

Reply #5 - Aug 2nd, 2004 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
Dale
I have several Simmons Pro Air scopes. They focus down to 10m and work equally well at 200yds without changing bases. AO, target knobs, compact but they are a little heavy though. Cost wise through normal channels they are about $150. Lens clarity is not bad, repeatability is quite good. 

Ed

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Aug 2nd, 2004 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
Ed;
I have several scopes that work just fine. I just wanted to know if anyone had any experience using a "close up lens" for those that do NOT focus close.

Dale

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Aug 3rd, 2004 at 6:05am
Print Post  
Dale,

About the camera close up lens.  I have never put one on a rifle scope.  I do put camera filters on one of my spotting scopes sometimes but found the usual thread size on camera acessory lens don't fit any of my rifle scopes.

But the close up you get on a camera lens with the acessory lens is very close.  It takes a normal lens that will focus down to 6 feet or so to Inches of focus. Even the lowest power blurs when a foot away.  They are best for pictures of flowers etc.  I could not even use one for detail on a rifles action. 

So, guessing they would be difficult to fit and would be much too powerfull for normal rifle shooting.

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint