Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Re: How accurate is good enough? (Read 19753 times)
PETE
Ex Member

Re: How accurate is good enough?
Reply #15 - Jul 5th, 2004 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
Ken,
  That's good to hear. As for a set of CC set triggers for my Low Wall...... As I said in our phone convesation. I'm in no real big hurry. Got plenty of guns to shoot and work up this year anyway, and I'd have to line up wood and a stocker so I'm figuring if I can shoot it next year I'll consider myself fortunate. I just figure if you-all want money for Christmas I'll get it soonest!  Grin

By the way..... Told you about me and phone conversations.  Smiley Forgot to ask you what the shank size on that slab side was?

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #16 - Jul 5th, 2004 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
Great shot, Mike!  That looks like a rifle anyone would be proud to have and shoot.  Smiley  I know getting that one picture up was a hard job, but how about a full length shot to show the stock as well? I'm sure I'll short out my keyboard drooling, but it would be worth it.   Grin
Ken, as we discussed in a previous phone conversation, I am less interested in the CC-DSTs than their widespaced schuetzen type brethren, but it would be worth my while to put one set on an original tang (since minimal alteration is required) and have them laying around should the need arise.  Is Steve planning on making the hammers with flies and the long tailed sears as well?  What I would REALLY like to see at this point is a set of set triggers that I could fit to my Frankenstein Brown Ballard action.  Then I would build the Ballard bench .22 to end all!  8)  And just so this message still fits the thread title, either of those projects would be sufficiently accurate to beat my dearest friends.   Shocked
Regards,
The Green Frog

IP Logged

GWarden
Senior Forum Member

Reply #17 - Jul 7th, 2004 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
Are you all talking 5 or 10 shot groups?
Bob

Game Warden: what boys dream of being and old men wish they could have been

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Jul 8th, 2004 at 10:58am
Print Post  
MP,
  Without shooting your gun personally, I would take a guess that you are getting a fouling ring just in front of the chamber. Most seem to think they can shoot all day with smokeless and never have to worry. But shooting plain base cast bullets the lube will start combining with the powder fouling from the first shot, and depending on your gun, lube, & powder can mean you might have to clean your gun after every group/score. I know guys who will even in the middle of a score/group will clean their gun out if they feel there shots are opening up.

You don't mention what powder you're using, but the ball powders seems to build up faster than the stick type.

Also not sure why you're shooting that many foulers. Even out of a clean cold barrel I've never seen the need for more than two, and most of my guns will start shooting after one.

Fill me in on some of the details and maybe some of us can give you some hints to try.

PETE

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #19 - Jul 8th, 2004 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
How accurate is good enough?  It depends entirely on such factors as the target and the shootin' iron and the company which is present.

I like for social shooting levels of accuracy as "minute of wood-chuck" and "minute of beer-can".

But if my shootin' buddy is present, anything just a little better than what he's got will do.

I have one rifle that shot under 1/2 MOA the first time out.  Haven't shot it since - and it's been years!

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Jul 8th, 2004 at 10:39pm
Print Post  
MP,
  I guess if that rifle takes 4 or 5 shots to settle down you don't want to argue with it. I know shooting BP that some rifles are very finicky about how they want to be wiped out and I try and accommodate them.

Looks like you've got the bases covered then. If the Schoyen bullet is the most accurate bullet in that other rifle I'd look into getting one of the custom makers to make a copy. That buddy of yours must be a special friend to loan you a mould. It's something I rarely do. To easy to get them screwed up. I also don't like ot borrow moulds for the same reason.

As for shooting that Neidner rifle...... Why not!? I sure would. Of course I wouldn't with jacketed bullets, but with plain base cast bullets I don't see any harm. There are many recorded cases of over a 100,000 rounds put thru those old rifles with no loss of accuracy.

PETE

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint