Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Ruger #1 lever (Read 13451 times)
Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Ruger #1 lever
Jun 29th, 2004 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
Does anyone know of a schuetzen-type lever available for the Ruger #1?  I recently shot my first Hudson (100 shot) match with a really nice Ruger, but my right middle and ring finger were very sore at the end from hanging over that little lever spur for all of those shots.  TIA to anyone who can help me out with a lever suggestion.   Smiley

Green Frog

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Re: Ruger #1 lever
Reply #1 - Jun 29th, 2004 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
Hey Froggy .....   Call Wayne Schwartz.  He hung a pope style lever on my #3 Ruger & it's a dream.    ken

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #2 - Jun 29th, 2004 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
Ken, 
     If I were working with a #3, I could do the same thing, but remember that the #1 has that lever separate from the trigger guard, and with a latch that hooks into the TG.  It will have to have some sort of special arrangement to either replace all of that or incorporate a latch into the lever and retain the original TG.  I am thinking of maybe fitting a Walker or Laudensack style lever from the latch pivot back.  What I need is a place to put my middle finger, like what the levers mentioned (and your Pope lever) all provide.  The hunt continues!  ???

GF  8)

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #3 - Jun 30th, 2004 at 10:43am
Print Post  
Green Frog
Take a look in Sellers Sharps Book on page 244 there is a picture of a model 1875 Sharps prototype that Zischang did when he was at Sharps. It looks a lot like what you want to do it will at least give you some ideas.

40 Rod

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 30th, 2004 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
Froggie, a very neat & unobtriusive way to retain a lever in the closed position is to use a small alnico magnet epoxied into a recess. Cut the recess with a drill bit just slightly larger than the little round magnet, either in the bottom of the tang/PG area or the top side of the lever where it meets the bottom tang at the wrist. No muss, no fuss, no tedious fabbing & fitting of parts, just a few dollars spent plus 2 mins with a drill motor & some epoxy or Black Max. I have several of these little round magnets, will send you one if you're interested. These little alnico magnets are very strong for their size & will hold the lever with no problems.

Of course it might mess up reading the little compass that some folks have inlaid in their stocks.........

IP Logged

Long_Rifle_101
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jul 25th, 2004 at 11:36am
Print Post  
Hello Green Frog, I am very interested in your lever ideas for the ruger # 1. I posted a  project dealing with a SS trigger
and I was thinking about a custom lever built around a #3
lever. A problem we have is the SS trigger swings forward
enough to consider the relocation of it inside the trigger gaurd
when in the firing posituion. I was thinking that eliminating the trigger gaurd and remodel a #3 lever may work. All this fits into my plans to design a long range BPRC with target vernier
sights. So far my work with # 1 rugers has been for schuetzen
style BR shooters and they use modern target reciever sights.
Long Rifle

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - Jul 25th, 2004 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
Long Rifle,
Will they let you shoot a Ruger in BPCR? I thought they were illegal in BPCR?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Long_Rifle_101
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jul 25th, 2004 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
Hello Marlin Guy, Glad you brought up that point. There is a 
small group that shoot quite often but will probaly not
shoot in any registered matches. I think the Quigley match allows the use of a ruger. There is a yearly 22 LR match I used
to shoot and I use a lo-wall rebarreled with a douglas target barrel. It is a schuetzen match and every style falling block is 
allowed including the BSA mark 111 rifles. Hopefuly there will be a split
of the classes to separate modern stye from open hammer falling block to try and include more shooters.
Thanks Long Rifle

IP Logged

First_Shirt
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jul 25th, 2004 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
Ruger No. 1 and No. 3's are not legal for NRA BPC Silhouette matches, but are legal for NRA BP Target Rifle mid and long range matches.  I haven't attended a Target Rifle match, but have been told that while legal, Rugers are not popular in those disciplines.

Greg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint