Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) lowall actions (Read 19650 times)
PETE
Ex Member

Re: lowall actions
Reply #15 - Jun 24th, 2004 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
Ken,
  Interesting how your gunsmith friend bends the tang. I didn't know they went to that much trouble to make sure things came out right. But then I'm more of a blacksmith than a gunsmith!  Smiley

I don't have any questions right now. I assume "my gunsmith" is reading this thread so will talk over the CF/RF action with him at the match this weekend and see what he has to say. Making the proper firing pin and drilling the required recess in the breech block for it should be no problem. The .22 extractor might be a problem, altho offhand I would think it could be converted over to a regular 6 o'clock one.

Thanks! I certainly will give you a call if I do have any questions.

PETE

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Jun 29th, 2004 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
Ken, a few observations from this neck o' the woods. Low wall complete standard actions are currently selling in the $300-$450 range IF in good shape. Add $100-$200 for the single set trigger & at least another $50-$100 for the pistol grip contour. Subtract $100 for an unwelded late Winder musket frame and add $50-$100 for an early paneled flareside frame. Subtract $100 for an unconverted 32RF or 38RF. I have noticed no difference in price between the 22RF actions and the CF ones, at least in the low walls.

Of course these are generalities based upon my own recent experiences and are certainly not intended to be anything more than a SWAG, prices vary tremendously sometimes. But this would indicate that a good PG SST action could be sold for $550-$700 before any adjustment, polishing, engraving or other gunsmithing is done. So, Ken, your $1000 price sounds like a heckuva bargain to me.

Food for thought: converting a standard single trigger to SST is easily done but will cost the average person about $150-$200 by the time he obtains not only the trigger parts but also the slotted sear and hammer with fly. Parts are available but usually require fitting & timing. Between the efforts of myself & our mutual friend HST & the Winchester Wall parts guy in FL, we can probably keep your SST expenses down pretty low whereas it'd cost anyone else twice as much.

I especially like the original low wall for the 22LR cartridge, due to its kicking ejector. My big fat fingers have trouble picking out the fired cases without help.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #17 - Jun 30th, 2004 at 12:12am
Print Post  
Ken,
There is an inexpensive option to the dst or sst, that is an old gunsmith trick. An adjustment for the trigger and sear can be made very easy by drilling and tapping a hole in the receiver, approximately .75" towards the hammer, as measured from the forward tang sight screw hole. A set screw, with Loctite is then installed and the sear engagement can be adjusted to fine tune the trigger. 
Of course this shouldn't be done to an original, but if you're building up receivers it's an inexpensive way to get a decent trigger, without all the cost. I have a lo wall in .22 with this setup on it when I bought it. I couldn't figure out what the extra screw hole was. Thought someone tapped for a longer tang sight base, but when I screwed it in, I found out what it did! It really works!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Jun 30th, 2004 at 1:52am
Print Post  
Thanks for the info Vall BUT, I have Steve Earle starting to program his lathe & mill to start making close couple & dbl. set trigers for the Win.  Afterwards he will probably start truggers for the Rem. rollers and Ballards.  He has some serious plans for improving the Win. triggers such as having trunions for the triggers . This one factor will eliminate any lateral monement.  Ken

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Jul 7th, 2004 at 11:30pm
Print Post  
I spoke to Steve Earle again this evening and he is caving in to my persistant proding. He tells me he will try and start programing the cc dst And tang within a week or so.  Looks like it might not take to long for him to start making them.  He is going to start the dbl set after that. I have also got him to agree to start making replacement levers like the Helm and Laudesack ----- of course , these will be machined to the same high quality as the Wesson action he is making.  More to come as I hear it,    stay tuned.   Ken

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Jul 8th, 2004 at 10:49am
Print Post  
Ken,
  Good to hear that. I'm in no big hurry for mine, but yesterday would have been nice!  Grin

PETE

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Jul 8th, 2004 at 11:22am
Print Post  
Hi Pete ---   that's what I keep telling Steve but he insist on doing other stuff like sleeping/eating and paying attention to family matters . I told him he had lost sight of what was really important Wink.     Ken

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Jul 8th, 2004 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
Ken,
  Yes.... Steve must learn to get his priorities straight! I really think he ought to consider our needs over his, dn't you think!  Grin

PETE

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint