Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 4070 BN (Read 14934 times)
40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

4070 BN
Jun 16th, 2004 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
Anybody out there got a 40-70 BN reamer that I can borrow. I got a barrel for my CPA and it was suposed to be 40-70 BN.
I got a set of dies ant made up a couple of rounds of brass but it's tight in the body by about .004. I just need to get in and clean it up so I can shoot it.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Re: 4070 BN
Reply #1 - Jun 16th, 2004 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
40-rod;
I had a similar problem with my C. Sharps 40-65. It turned out that if I ran a lubed case clear up to the rim (only have to do one time) it sized the area of the head that was a bit too large. Since is was the solid head portion that was a bit big, it was never necessary to do it again on any particular case.

Of course, you MUST remove the decapping rod, use a small shell holder (something like a Hornet is near perfect) and set the case on TOP of the shell holder and push it clear up to the rim. Then use an appropriately sized dowel rod and knock the case from the die. It is easy, quick and solved my problem. Give it a try, can't hurt anything.

Dale53

IP Logged

Asst
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 17th, 2004 at 6:30am
Print Post  
The web is a bit to large in dia.on the cases or the chamber is a bitr to small,  I made a die that only sizes the web.  I beleve it is 1/2" dia.   Or there abouts and a #2  morse taper reamer will make the die.

I would much rather alter the cases than the chamber, ugly things could happen you don't want.

Take one of the cases and chuck it up and remove a bit of material from the case and see if that solves the problem first.

Just a thought.

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #3 - Jun 17th, 2004 at 8:17am
Print Post  
No the body is too small by about .004. After I couldn't get it to chamber on the first pass I tryed running it up all the way into the die it helped a little but still couldn't get it to chamber so I made a chamber cast and miked the cast and a formed case. The neck and sholder are fine the body of the chamber is small by about .004 then the rim is fine. I checked the dimentions with Donnelly's book on cartritge conversions. What I need to do is put it in the lathe and use a proper size reamer to open up.

40 Rod

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #4 - Jun 19th, 2004 at 8:27am
Print Post  
Ok does anybody out there have the number of the place that rents chambering reamers. I know that there is one out there but don't have the number.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Jun 19th, 2004 at 8:47am
Print Post  
40Rod;
Go to Google and write "chambering reamers". I got several "hits".

I haven't used any of them but I have heard of people who have used these people with satisfaction:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Dale53

IP Logged

Asst
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jul 1st, 2004 at 8:43am
Print Post  
Just came acrossed a Chamber Reamer rental,

White Rock Tool & Die
6400 N. Brighton Ave.
Kansas City, MO  64119

816 454 0478

IP Logged

Asst
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jul 1st, 2004 at 8:48am
Print Post  
Also:

4-D Products Inc.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

DonH
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jul 2nd, 2004 at 6:30am
Print Post  
Keith;
Is that current info on White Rock? I have used them in the past but had heard they were out of business. Their service was great.

IP Logged

Asst
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jul 2nd, 2004 at 7:10am
Print Post  
Got the info from the June/July 2004 Machinists Workshop.

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jul 3rd, 2004 at 1:47am
Print Post  
On two previous occasions I've used the folks at reamerrentals.com, also known as Shawnie Tool. Both orders were filled promptly and correctly, and one of these entailed a special-dimension pilot at no extra charge.

I recommend these folks highly, and will use them again soon myself.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint