Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Barrel extension question (Read 11135 times)
dgc27
Ex Member

Barrel extension question
Jun 15th, 2004 at 9:36am
Print Post  
I have a rifle in 32 miller , but the barrel is only 20 inches long. I am going to add an extension to the barrel to make it 24 inches. This would be threaded on. The question I have is there any certain size I should bore the extension to? I was thinking about a .375 hole or should I make it larger. My concern is that with a .375 bore that the gasses may disrupt the bullet in the extension , or I may be like everything else in Ohio this morning ,all wet. Any input is appreciated. DGC27

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Re: Barrel extension question
Reply #1 - Jun 15th, 2004 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
dgc27; I've been told that the dia. of the barrel extension should not be smaller than 5/8 inch for a 32 caliber. leadball

IP Logged

dgc27
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 16th, 2004 at 7:33am
Print Post  
Thanks for the information Leadball .  DGC27 (aka Porchdog)

IP Logged

JAGG
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 1st, 2004 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
  Why don't you try making it groove diameter first ?  I have had to  use a chamber reamer at the muzzle of a number of antque rifles to save from cutting the barrel off  a few inches !  This has worked out well as the reamer just removed the rifling at an inch or so from the muzzle and opened the muzzle face up in a cone shape ! The barrel shoots clover leafs when i do my part ! You can always open up the extention a little at a time if this doesn't work out ! JAGG

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 1st, 2004 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
In the late '70s I relined a 30" 32-40 high wall bbl to 223 Rem for the first 24" & left the 32 cal bore for the remaining 6" at the muzzle. The rifle shot just fine with the 224 dia bullet passing down the 32 cal bore for 6", shot 1 MOA & under with flat-base bullets.

This is only one experience. As my friend Coydog says, YMMV!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint