Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Barrel tuning a Maynard barrel (Read 12964 times)
halp
Ex Member

Barrel tuning a Maynard barrel
Jun 9th, 2004 at 9:06am
Print Post  
Pete and I have been trading info on the use of a Pope type sled attached to our barrels. Got us to wondering about how the 22 shooters use of a barrel tuner might be of use to us in attempting to obtain maximum accuracy from my 32-40 fast taper Maynard barrel. Trying to get rid of high or low shots in a ten shot bench rest group. The usual things have been checked out, crown, no leading, barrel position up and down on front rest charges, loose barrel hinge, bullet fit. tight/loose hold. Gun is scoped. Last thing not tried is a barrel tuner.
Your thoughts, guys????
Hal

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Re: Barrel tuning a Maynard barrel
Reply #1 - Jun 9th, 2004 at 10:41am
Print Post  
Halp;
Keeping in mind that a barrel tuner is not legal in ASSRA competition, I believe that it is worth a try. However, shooting with a sled on a "loose" barrel (Maynard's barrel to frame fitting is considerably less stiff than a threaded in the frame barrel) may only be solvable by "technique" (trying to be as consistent as possible with holding, cheek pressure, etc).

I would think shooting a Maynard off the bench would be a real challenge because of the "loose" construction (that is, compared to shooting one offhand).

I have a question. I am about to put a sled on my Peregrine offhand rifle and am looking for suggestions on front rest material under the sled ( nylon, {thick, solid,neoprene}, delrin, or a dense hardwood). Anyone with experience in this area please speak up.

Dale53

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #2 - Jun 9th, 2004 at 10:49am
Print Post  
Dale 

I am in the process of getting together a a bench rest gun that will have a perminate sled atached like the slug guns do. I am planning to go to a counter installer and have him cut a piece of granite then drill a 1/4" hole and epoxy a dowell pin for a stop.

40 Rod

IP Logged

45auto
Participating Member

Reply #3 - Jun 9th, 2004 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
I just made a front rest for my Ruger#1 . The barrel is 1.25" diameter, and I was having trouble keeping any cant out of it. I hope this is a legal setup. We are having a local match this weekend and I am gonna try it out..... 
I made it from aluminum, witha  small delrin round that will make it easy to to level(I hope)
I have pics, but cannot figure out how to post them......
If someone tells me how, I will......
45auto

My job is so difficult that it's not really possible, but I somehow manage to pull it off time and time again. I couldn't even begin to explain what I do as that's even more difficult.

IP Logged

45auto
Participating Member

Reply #4 - Jun 9th, 2004 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
here are the pics of that Ruger #1 rest
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

My job is so difficult that it's not really possible, but I somehow manage to pull it off time and time again. I couldn't even begin to explain what I do as that's even more difficult.

IP Logged

45auto
Participating Member

Reply #5 - Jun 9th, 2004 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
Last 2 pics....... Keith, is this legal??

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Jun 9th, 2004 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
45Auto;
Someone must have shown you "real good" how to post pictures Grin. Those are clear shots.

I'm not Keith, but it sure looks legal to me (you can't have anything that does a "return to battery"). If you put it on a flat piece of "whatever", with no guide, it should be fine.

Keith or Jim can reply for a true legal opinion (Ass't or Schuetzenmeister).

It looks good, also. It'll be interesting to see how long the delrin "round" lasts without battering. I LIKE your version of a sled.

Dale53

IP Logged

45auto
Participating Member

Reply #7 - Jun 9th, 2004 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
Thanks Dale,
I spent about a  day making it,( that's the downside) but I did make the Delrin rod to be easily replaced. Now I hope my scores improve a bit.....Come on up to Lima this Sunday for our shoot.... Starts at 9, and is 5 min from I-75.....
Mike

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jun 9th, 2004 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
  Section 2.91 of the rules permit an anti-cant device "bob sled" such as the Pope style or the one described in Mann's book is permitted.

Dale,
  Here are my thoughts on what you should put under the sled. I assume you just want something so the barrel isn't scratched.

On the sled I have on the .38/55 I just put a piece of oiled ASSRA target paper.

My thinking is that you don't want anything to thick that will damp down the natural barrel vibrations. The sled itself will damp down vibrations to some extent but adding a material that absorbs vibrations rather than "passing" them on, so to speak will alter the vibration pattern more than necessary.

Just be sure when trying the sled out that you try different positions on the barrel to find where it shoots the best. On my .38/55 that puts the front edge of the sled about 6" from the muzzle. From what I have read tho 4" seems to be a good place to start.

PETE

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Jun 9th, 2004 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
Mike;
I won't be able to make the Lima shoot this week-end. However, in the future it should be possible. Lima is not all THAT far away from the Hamilton, Ohio area.

I need to work with the Peregrine some more before I take it out to play. I will be putting the sled on it and trying that out. It should make it easier to shoot off the bench.

Now, I just need to determine the best base material for the front rest for the sled to sit on.

Does anyone have any scrap blocks of Delrin? I would think that something on the order of 6"x6"x3/4" would be about right.

Dale53

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jun 9th, 2004 at 10:57pm
Print Post  
Dale & others,
  Just be real careful to check out with the Schuetzenmeister about the legality of the materials you plan on using for your sleds. As I stated in the rule 2.91 a Pope style sled or one similar to the one described in Mann's book is permitted. This seems ot limit a sled to an all metal one. The pictures shown in this thread, and your description of what you want to use for your sled, MIGHT not be permitted.

I don't want to be a wet blanket on this but you know the brouh-ha we had when we were discussing the tuner!

PETE

IP Logged

halp
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jun 10th, 2004 at 6:58am
Print Post  
Neat Neidner sled, MP. What is the "runner" material? 
Rest looks like aluminum. I really do not worry about shooting match rules as I am a 99% experimenter anyway. 

Has anyone done much bench rest shooting with Maynards? 
If so, any neat tricks that you would be willing to pass on??

The obvious is to make sure the link lever is pulling the barrel tight to the action. The rifle I am shooting is a 32-40W chambered, 28" half oct with a fast taper round section. No problem with 1-16 twist, bore condition, leading, 185 gr bullet fit. But, at least one or two shots in ten will always go high OR low!!

Thanks,
Hal

IP Logged

Asst
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jun 10th, 2004 at 7:19am
Print Post  
Match Equipment and Scoring rules.

Page 12

Section 2.91

A sandbag or shaped rear rest sand filled bag made of leather or cancvas may be used under the toe of the buttstock. No other device or support is permitted for the toe of the rifle. 
V-blocks or rersts, guides, ways, or any such devices which might aid in the alignment or re- alignment of the rifle, are prohitbted.

An anti cant device (bob-sled) similar to the Pope style muzzle rest or the one described in Mann's book is permitted.  A simple stop may be attached to the front rest as an aid in re- aligning the rifle for the next shot.
This may be contacted by the muzzle rest or the forearm at the discretion of the shooter if used at all.

The shooting bench top surface is the only common connection between the two that will be allowed.

The sled is legal, both are.

IP Logged

45auto
Participating Member

Reply #13 - Jun 10th, 2004 at 8:15am
Print Post  
Thanks Keith,
I hope it helps my score a few points.......
Mike

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint