Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Ivory front sight (Read 16432 times)
Brent
Ex Member

Ivory front sight
May 17th, 2004 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
You know?  I really hate one aspect of this site.  Twice I have typed in a long and detailed message hit post and then had my entire message lost because I forgot th type in a subject field first.  Nothing will recover the lost message - what a pain.

The short question is how might I attach a sliver of warthog ivory to a german silver blade on a Lyman #5 convertible front sight?  Is accuraglas going to be tough enough?   

Brent

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Re: Ivory front sight
Reply #1 - May 17th, 2004 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
Hi Brent ---   I would say go with the glass.  I tried an experiment with glass once, it goes as follows.   To determine how strong glass was, I glassed a piece of gold that was well polished flat with 400 grit paper to a piece of 400 grit polished steel & threw into bluing tank ( 298 deg.)   After the piece was blued , cooled, I tried to remove the small piece of gold to find the only way I could get it off was to cut it off with a chisel.   I'd say it would work if the pieces are closely fitted & degreased.   Ken

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 17th, 2004 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
Thanks Ken.  That's exactly the advice and experience that I was looking for.

Brent

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #3 - May 17th, 2004 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
FWIW Brent, Lyman originally made at least two versions of that "Beach-type" convertible sight.  One had the ring and pin as one option and the gold bead/post as the other.  The second one had a the same ring and post, but had been drilled through from the bottom of the second post and a tiny cylindrical rod of ivory inserted from the bottom with just a thin backer of steel to support the ivory somewhat.  I have one of this latter style, but the ivory has chipped off of it and I have been hoping to get it replaced.  Anyway, if that chipped off, I'm not real sure how durable the ivory itself would be if just epoxied on.  Undecided

Green Frog

PS  Did you know that Lyman also made a windage adjustable version of the Beach sight by putting the #5 top on a #7 (I think) base?  How weird did THAT look?   Roll Eyes  GF

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Reply #4 - May 17th, 2004 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
Brent ----   I forgot to mention that ivory has a bit of natural oil in it.  Therefore,  be sure to wrap the small sliver of ivory in a cloth & soak it with acetone for a few minutes before attaching to glassed sight. Also, wear plastic gloves to keep your body oil off ivory while attaching it.   Ken

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - May 17th, 2004 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
Now I don't have to wonder what to do with this big chunk of elephant ivory I have! Cheesy

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #6 - May 17th, 2004 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
Marlinguy,
elephant is not supposed to be so good for some reason.  I have a bunch of hippo somewhere - darn stuff cracks, flakes and generally falls apart.   

Brent

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Reply #7 - May 20th, 2004 at 8:19am
Print Post  
Marlinguy ----   I have a friend who makes grips for clients who want their Colt SAA pistols engraved. He buys old Ivory when he comes across it.   Wana sell some or all ???  I can put you in touch with him.  Oh yeah,  African Ivory is second only to walrus ivory for hardness, much better than Indian ivory and hippo ivory really isn't in the same league.  Ken (kenhurst1@earthlink.net)

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #8 - May 20th, 2004 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
I had an entire tusk that was given to me by my aunt, after my uncle passed away years ago. Unfortunately it was cut into 6" lengths, and not properly sealed. I sold all but one piece to a knife maker, who said he could salvage large enough pieces from the remains to make knife handles.
The last piece I have is hopefully going to be a set of grips someday, but so far I haven't ever found a handgun that I loved enough to use it on. Seems I'm so into rifles, that most pistols just don't do much for me.

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Reply #9 - May 20th, 2004 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
Try a Colt SAA or Colt gov. mod.    These are classics and I get far more orders for ivory grips for them than any other hand gun.   ken

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #10 - May 23rd, 2004 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
I thought the SAA would be a good choice, but since the three I have are all clones, it would be a waste of this ivory. Maybe someday I'll own an original, that would be clean enough to deserve the ivories!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint