Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Spotting Scope Power (Read 41246 times)
DonH
Ex Member

Spotting Scope Power
May 1st, 2004 at 7:11am
Print Post  
Hey folks;

For those of you who shoot 200yd rimfire, what power do you use on your spotting scope to resolve the bullet holes?

Don (Woodcutter)

IP Logged

Corky

Re: Spotting Scope Power
Reply #1 - May 1st, 2004 at 9:04am
Print Post  
I use a 25X LER on the Kowa.  I have 44X and even 77X eye pieces but no matter what you use they are hard to see.  It is a matter of clarity rather than magnification.  If you make the image bigger, you also increase the problems with mirage.

I have researched the possibility of using a wireless camera setup but haven't been able to justify the cost.  The quality you need to resolve a .22 hole exceeds what you can buy at Sam's Club.  I haven't given up on the idea but it is on hold for the time being.

My vision is poor so my results are poor.  My not so secret weapon is Cloudy Day, she still has 20/15 vision.  I believe that is the real answer.  The better you can see to start with the better you can see through the scope.

Corky

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - May 1st, 2004 at 9:23am
Print Post  
Corky & Don;
I use a Kowa 82mm with a 27X LER eyepiece. When conditions are good I can see the .22 bullet holes and when they are bad (most of the time) I cannot. I have poor vision and suspect Corky's suggestion is correct. You need good vision to start with.

200 yards is a "far piece" to see those tiny little holes. That is why I shoot at 100 yards with the .22. The difference between a .32 and a .22 is dramatic at 200 yards.

Dale53

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 1st, 2004 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Don,
  I'll agree with the other guys. Atmospheric conditions are the determining factor in seeing .22 holes at 200 yds. The stronger the mirage the less you'll see.

Like Dale I have a Kowa 82mm lensed scope, but I have the 20 - 60x zoom eyepiece. If conditions are good for seeing 20 - 30x will see the holes ok.

When buying a scope always go for the largest objective lens you can afford. That's the one out front if you didn't know. This is the lens that gathers the light and the bigger the better when viewing small objects at at long distances.

The Kowa is considered by the bird watchers to be the best bang for the buck in this regard. Of course we would all like a Leica or Swarovski but at twice the price, plus, of a Kowa they don't give twice the resolution.

PETE

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #4 - May 1st, 2004 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
Don, as I am sure you are now surmising, there is not a good answer that will insure seeing bullet holes at 200 yds, my only solution has been to go down and look, not an answer that is very helpful in the context of your question.  I WILL say that with CF holes of .32 or so, I find a 30-45X eyepiece about all I can handle without the ill effects of mirage ruining any additional gain...this is why those little .22 holes just don't seem to get big enough under any but the BEST of conditions (which always occur on practice days, but it seems never on match days ???)  Shoot centers and just count your winnings when you score the target!

Regards,
the Green Frog

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - May 1st, 2004 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
Don, Whatever scope you use, make sure you use a good solid steady tripod or scope stand.  It doesn't take much of a breeze to get a scope vibrating a little which really messes things up. 
At EG last weekend I never bothered even looking through my spotting scope----of course with my sighting in problems on Sat, and the wind on Sunday, I never bothered trying my luck on the 200 yard targets.  I was having too much "fun" trying to hit the ones at 100.
Another technique some folks use ius to put a red photo filter on their scope which cancels out the red on the target, leaving the bullet holes easier to see.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #6 - May 2nd, 2004 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
Your right a good stand is one of the most important things that you can have. This is the part where I  do my shameless comerical. I just got a Sinclair bench scope stand. It is rock solid. After talking to them about a longer staff so I could use it while shooting offhand they came up with an idea. They sent me the prototype to try. Basicly it is a delrin sleeve and a T-screw that ataches a shaft extention. I have tryed and it works great.

40 Rod

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #7 - May 2nd, 2004 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
40 Rod,
  Sinclair does make a nice bench mounted scope stand, but a little pricey considering you can make one yourself very similar to it a LOT cheaper.

What I've done is get a set of Pony Clamps and some black pipe long enuf to be able to clamp on any bench around here. Get a piece threaded on both ends. The Pony clamp goe on one end and a reducer on the other. Drill and tap that for a pipe the diam. that works with your scope mount clamps. Make that any length you want.

The only problem with these setups is that the longer the this small pipe is the wobblier it is. About the time you get it long enuf for offhand a regular tripod is a lot better. This is why I think the regular Sinclair bench mount is so short. Works good for shooting off the bench tho.

For real spotting work after I'm done with a target, or spotting for someone else, I have a regular surveyor type oak tripod I made. Short of a hurricane it's steady as a rock.

PETE

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - May 2nd, 2004 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
A trick I learned from an old photographer to steady a tripod is to hang your camera bag by the strap over the platform.  the usually heavy gear bag really helps solid-up the tripod.  It helps dampen the little wind tremors and vibrations that mess up long lens shots. When using a tripod for a spotting scope, a mesh sack--a'la oinin or potato flled with rocks, boxes of ammo or what ever would do the trick.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

DonH
Ex Member

Reply #9 - May 2nd, 2004 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
Thanks guys;
This amounted to some brain-picking, I guess. I just wanted to hear some of the thoughts of others on the subject. I'm using a 22x eyepiece and may try a 30 but I'm thinking my stand just isn't solid enough and I do know that makes a difference. Have to work on that.

Don

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #10 - May 3rd, 2004 at 9:30am
Print Post  
Pete
The pony clamp setup is exactly what I replaced with the Sinclair stand. I found it to be even more solid than the pony clamp. It gets a little deeper into the bench and has a wider foot so is more stable. 

40 Rod

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #11 - May 3rd, 2004 at 9:57am
Print Post  
40 Rod,
  That's good to know! From looking at it in Sinclair's catalog it does look like it takes a bigger "bite" on the bench, but no one around here has one so we can see how much better it is, and we all to cheap to buy one to see!  Smiley

Am wondering...... What thickness of bench are you restricted to, or is it just a question of how long the rod is? Around here we run anywhere from the thickness of a 2x12 to 6" concrete tops.

PETE

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - May 3rd, 2004 at 10:41am
Print Post  
Pete;
You are only limited by the length of the rod. It works pretty much like the powder measure stand (if you have seen them). I have the catalog in front of me and it states that it'll handle a bench top thickness between 1/4"-12". That should be adequate! Grin

Dale53

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - May 3rd, 2004 at 10:43am
Print Post  
Pete;
I neglected to warn you - that Sinclair catalog is addictive!! I am an authority on that!! Grin

Dale53

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #14 - May 3rd, 2004 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
Dale53,
  Thanks for the tip on the Sinclair scope stands.

I'll agree about the Sincalair catalog to. The only thing wrong with it is that I don't have enuf money to buy what I'd like. But did get one of their front rests and the windage adjustable top last Summer.

So... Being a Sinclair addict what did you end up buying?

PETE

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #15 - May 3rd, 2004 at 11:40pm
Print Post  
Pete;
I just received a Harrel Schuetzen measure and Sinclair measure stand along with a couple of extra bottles.

Nice jewelry for shooters! Wink

Dale53

IP Logged

DonH
Ex Member

Reply #16 - May 4th, 2004 at 6:15am
Print Post  
Dale;

I live maybe 5 miles away from Sinclair and can tell you that walking in to their retail counter can give a guy the shakes! 

The picture of the scope stand in the catalog was taken at our home range I believe and our benches are either 2x12 or 4 " concrete. I occasionally share the range with Fred Sinclair which is enjoyable. He shoots mostly cast bullets while there, but I haven't been able to convert him to single shots yet.

Don

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #17 - May 4th, 2004 at 9:30am
Print Post  
I know every year I buy myself one present from the Sinclair catalog. This year it was the stand. 

40 Rod

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #18 - May 4th, 2004 at 9:42am
Print Post  
Dale53,
  I bought a Harrel Schuetzen measure last year, and I'm not sure I'm entirely satisifed with it. I think Reddings 3BR, which I have also, is every bit as good as the Harrel, and cheaper.

The thing that bothers me is the powder cavity. Working the way it does as the slide moves in and out I think the "clicks" will not give you a uniform increase or decrease in the powder metered. The 3BR has a sliding stem inside a hole that never varies, and as such if you move it "X" number of clicks for a one grain increment, that same number of clicks will move it another grain.

Of course once you figure out what setting gives you a given amount for either you don't really have to worry about it. But as conditions change during the day so does the powder charge, and if I want to move the settings one grain, and I don't happen to have that setting for the Harrel, I'm just guessing, whereas with the 3BR I know "X" number of clicks will give me what I want. Plus with the 3BR you can set up a graph that you can refer to when first working up loads for a given powder. Something I don't think the Harrel will allow you to do.

What are your thoughts on this??

PETE

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #19 - May 4th, 2004 at 10:35am
Print Post  
Pete;
Take anything here with a grain of salt as I have had powder in the Harrel for a total of "one" time.

However, I have examined the Harrel carefully. When the Harrel's handle is up (talking only about the Schuetzen model as that is the only one I have) you have a perfectly readable micrometer. It reads in "tens" instead of "twenty-fives" but still a micrometer. It also has clicks in between the numbers. These clicks will allow you to make VERY small changes with assurance (if you need that). You can "graph" it as easily as any other measure. Now, it may give you different values at different ends of the scale (haven't tried that) but within a few grains up or down, it (shape of the cavity) should make no difference at all. It also, depending on the operator as does any other measure, allows you to be VERY accurate.

There is no doubt that the Redding Bench rest measure is an excellent measure and a good value. However, the Harrel's "Jewelry Value" has it all over the Redding  Grin ( I can't believe that I said that).

Bottom line, if money is a problem (and it can be for most of us) then buy the Redding. If you want the ultimate in snob appeal, then buy the Harrell Roll Eyes {there, I did it again Grin}.

Dale53

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #20 - May 4th, 2004 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
Dale,
  Yeah! The Harrel has "Jewelry Appeal", but I've always though beauty is as beauty does. I'm not faulting the Harrel one bit. Great piece of equipment.

I don't think you can graph the Harrel like you can the 3BR. With the 3BR you plot the point at a bottom setting, and one at the top end, and then draw a straight line between the two, and if you're using graph paper you can then look at any point along that line and tell pretty close where to set the measure. Works!!

The Harrel works on a different principle where the slide moves horizontally rather than vertically. This might work out the same but the shearing surface becomes larger as you move the slide out and, would in my mind anyway, alter the amount per "click". It works on the same principle as the Lyman 55 measure and I've never found that to be very good in this respect.

Probbably one of the best measures ever made is the B&M Visible measure, and it works on the same principle as the 3BR.

Maybe I'm looking at this in the wrong way..... but as they say.... That's my story and I'm sticking to it!  Smiley

PETE

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #21 - May 5th, 2004 at 9:48am
Print Post  
I have had the Harrell measure for a couple of years now. what I like about it is it's absolute repeatability. Once I get a setting I can sit at the range and drop the same charge all day. With a 32-40 I can get an extream spread of 3 to 7 fps over 10 shot sring. I could never get that kind of repeatability from any other measure.   
On my measure with Accurate No 9 or H 108  I get a drop of .2 grains for every 3 clicks. 

40 Rod

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #22 - May 5th, 2004 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
40 Rod,
  Guess I might have to change my story.  Smiley Probably need to work more with my Harrel to see what it'll do. Been shooting so much BP since before I bought it that I haven't had a chance to really work with it. Would hate to start using BP in it as it'll more tha nlikely really gun it up. I always use my B&M for BP as it never needs taking apart or gets jammed up with "fines".
  But in defense of the Redding 3BR, I will say it's every bit as accurate as the Harrel with the powders you mention. Considering many might not be able to buy the Harrel, the 3BR is the best bang for the buck out there as far as powder measures go.

PETE

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #23 - May 6th, 2004 at 8:16am
Print Post  
Pete
You'll get no argument from me on that. The B&M is hands down the best for Black. The BR3 is a good measure for the money.
What I love is that at a match if I decide to change guns all I have to do is go to the correct setting in my book and I will get the same drop that I got last week or last month. For ball powders is is the best that I have found. 
I will also tell you that for stick powders I use an Precision rifles bench rest measure. I feel that the meater area on it is better designed for stick powders like 4759 or 5744.

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #24 - May 6th, 2004 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
40 Rod,
  Considering how temp.'s and humidity can change at a match to the point you need to adjust your measure to compensate, being able to have precise, repeatable adjustments on your measure is invaluable.

Just wish it would work the same for BP!  Sad seems like every lot of that I buy I've got to retest and reset everything.

Speaking of which. Just sent for a case of Swiss. I see on their web site that due to the drought in Europe last year that performance is slightly altered. If you weigh the charges you'll get the same results as before, but if you go the volume route things will be slightly different. Has this been your experience? Or....??

PETE

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #25 - May 6th, 2004 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
Pete 
I havn't tryed the Swiss but it stands to reason. As you know Black is very hydroscopic a consistant moisture content is a must for consistant performance. In Phil Sharps he talks about keeping Black in a humidore is it can't dry out.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #26 - May 7th, 2004 at 10:03am
Print Post  
Black powder is not "very hydoscopic."  Not even close.  That is just another popular fable.   

You might find this website of interest.  Pete and Ed did the data collection and I did the analysis, such that it is.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Brent

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #27 - May 7th, 2004 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
40 Rod,
  Brents right. I think where the misconception comes in is that BP fouling "IS" highly hygroscopic. BP itself is not especially so, and doesn't seem to be any more than smokeless.

As I understand it BP does not have several lots blended like like they do with smokeless in order to get a consistent lot to lot burning rate. It's one of the things we have to live with when shooting BP, and was why I was wondering if you'd had experience with 2003 lot, and if the web sites info was correct.

PETE

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #28 - May 7th, 2004 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
Thats news to me. All the oldtimers that I learned from kept particular records as to temp and humidity. As they claimed that it affected the burnrate of the powder.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #29 - May 7th, 2004 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
Temp and humidity might affect exterior ballistics but it will not affect burn rate in a cartridge gun if using fixed ammo since the air in the case is not going to change significantly while waiting at the line to be ignited.  In a muzzleloader, there might be more of an effect in that the air that is mixed with the powder will be of a different consistency and hence, could burn at a different rate.  But, I think the big issue is just the density of the air as the bullet pushes it aside.   

Perhaps the oldtimers fell victim to a few myths too.  No reason they should be any more immune to them than we are.  And, certainly, there are many more myths to uncover.

Brent

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #30 - May 7th, 2004 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
Brent, I think you will find that loose black powder IS hyGroscopic, and that the relative humidity at the time the fixed cartridges are being loaded OR at the time a schuetzen style shooter is reloading the same case over and over, there WILL be a noticeable effect on the strength of the burn as well as some of the other features such as barrel fouling, etc., hence the copious records mentiond by 40 Rod.   I have even found that the blank 10 gauge shells that I buy factory loaded make a bigger bang after they have been riding around in my hot, dry van for a couple of weeks before the big football game.  Grin

Now, as to how all of this ties in to "Spotting Scope Power," I really don't know  Undecided so I think maybe we should start a couple of new threads, one on BP measuring and a similar one on how the various measures work on various grain types of smokeless.  F'rinstance, I have never found a PM that would match my old Ideal #5 micro for consistency with IMR 4759, but the B&M (like the one 40 Rod got off me) is the best I have ever seen for the tiny ball powders, just very slow and inconvenient by comparison to say the Harrell or one of the other recent comercial models.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!  8)
Charlie the Frog

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #31 - May 7th, 2004 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
40 Rod & Frog,
  Have either of you looked over the experiments that Ed Stutz and myself performed? Please do so. You will find my work on my web site at

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

which will then direct you to Brent's site where Ed's work is published and Brent's analysis of the results is given.

The reason the old timers kept track of temp. and humidity was not because BP attracts moisture, it was because temp. and humidity affect the bullets flight. The longer the range the more critical this is and at the Creedmoor matches the shooters even kept track of barometric pressure.

During some testing Ed did one Summer here are some coclusions he came to regarding the effects of temp. and humidity on MV's using BP..

As humidity decreases velocity increases 2 fps per 1% change

As humidity decreases wt of powder drops .1gr per 1% change

Velocity increases 1.8 fps per 1 degree increase in temp.

I hope this will clarify some of your thinking!

PETE

IP Logged

DonH
Ex Member

Reply #32 - May 8th, 2004 at 8:29am
Print Post  
This is prretty far down the rabbit track from where I started this thread, but maybe you guys can "splain something to me regarding black powder.
Last fall when loading fixed ammo for the Ballard match I didn't finish the first evening and resumed loading the next day. Nothing about my procedure or setup changed. The powder measure was unchanged and the powder was from the same can as the evening before but the powder charge weight was significantly (grains) different! The only thing different were the climatic conditions.
I won't argue whether or not black powder is hygroscopic but charcoal is wood and  the moisture content of unprotected wood will change with changes in relative humidity. Ever had a door swell and stick or a panel in a cabinet door shrink? Why would not the "wood" in black powder do the same thing?

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #33 - May 8th, 2004 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
DonH,
  Good question, and not sure I can answer it to your satisfaction.

Roughly.....The ingredients in BP are ground together into almost a dust like consistency, mixed with water and pressed into a "cake". When it is dried to a certain point it is broken up and put into polishing drums which harden the surface of the individual grains. Part of this process is the addition of graphite.

What you have when you get done is almost the equivalent of a coupla coats of varnish on that wood door you mention. Like the door, if the powder has been properly treated it will resist the absortion of moisture.

I assume you have looked at the tests run by myself and Ed Stutz. Those are FACTS!! If people wish to disbelieve them and except long standing myths then that's their perogative.

Since there doesn't seem to be any interest I won't carry out an experiment I had in mind to further prove, or disprove, this point.

PETE

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #34 - May 8th, 2004 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
Whew! Glad I got out of the newbie class!  Smiley Wonder what class is next!

PETE

IP Logged

DonH
Ex Member

Reply #35 - May 9th, 2004 at 6:56am
Print Post  
Pete;
Just an added thought. If that "door" is exposed to the elements ( or sometimes even in interior space) it takes a highly impervious "varnish" coating 360 degrees to prevent moisture absorption. Not an easy nor a casual thing.

BTW, I am always a hard sell when someone comes up with something new which no one ever thought of before.

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #36 - May 9th, 2004 at 11:34am
Print Post  
DonH,
I am afraid that something DID change.  And if you think it was moisture then do the tests.   

BP simply is not that moisture sensitive.  Charlie, I KNOW that bp is not that hydroscopic.  I have demonstrated that to my satisfaction and Pete and Ed have demonstrated it beyond any point of argument.  I know that this flies in the face of popular "wisdom" but that's the way it is.  There are many such myths - especially with regards to bp that people just uncritically accept as gospel truth.  This is one of them.

As for moisture effects on fouling, I can buy that - I have not measured it or even tried to measure it.  But I'll believe it for now and have little reason to doubt it.   

Brent

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #37 - May 9th, 2004 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
DonH,
  Don't blame you for finding it hard to believe, but if you will look the evidence of the tests over it's hard not to believe. Plus there is nothing says you can repeat the experiments to see for yourself.

If you will look at my message detailing what Ed found out were the changes in MV with changes in temp. & humidity you will see a discrepancy that was one of the reasons we did the test. I thought sure someone would pick up on that and try to use that as a counter to the experiments. Guess I'll have to bring it forward myself. The original idea for the test was a thread on BP-L about just this moisture absorbing myth and how many of the top shooters would open a new can of powder every day of a match. This didn't seem quite right to me and thus the experiment.

Like all of you Ed thought that BP absorbed moisture and thought my experiment was flawed in some way so he figured he'd do a repeat in his part of the country to prove the results wrong. He didn't, as you can see from the results of his work.

To answer you latest question tho, the reason the BP granules don't absorb moisutre is as I stated. Think about it. The grains are rolling arond in a polishing barrel with a great deal of other grains. I forget what a charge weghs but there is quite a bit of wgt. bearing on each grain. This wgt. tends to compact the surface very tightly. This tightness is one of the factors that differeniate sporting grade powder from musket and rifle powders. The longer you leave the powder in the polishing barrel the harder and thicker this surface becomes. Then when you add a slight coating of graphite this only adds to the imperviousness of the grains to moisture.

An experiment I was thinking of running if some positive replies had been given was to take a given wgt. of powder and put it into an open top pan and leave it exposed to atmospheric conditions on a shelf in the garage for an extended period of time. I'd weigh it every day to see what the changes in wgt. were, and to see if at some time in the future it actually did pick up moisture/wgt. I'd report the results every few days or so, so you all could keep up with things. At the end of a month... six months... whatever was agreed upon..... the charge would be put in the oven at 150 degrees F. and allowed to dry out, and then weighed. Would have made and interesting experiment!

PETE

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #38 - May 9th, 2004 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
Pete,
That would be an interesting experiment if someone really needs to know.  But if your garage gets as hot as mine, you might melt the sulfur. I forget what Bill Knight said about that, but the one way to degrade bp is to get it hot enough that the sulfur begins to melt and volitalize.  I don't recall that temperature, but I think it was quite low - in the 125 degree range perhaps.   

You might do it in your basement instead.

Brent

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #39 - May 9th, 2004 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
Brent,
  Wondered about that. But the house is air-conditioned and the temp. and humidity in the basement stay pretty constant. I have a dehumidifier down there for keeping the lathe and other tools from rusting. The garage was the only place I could think of offhand to put it.

But since there doesn't seem to be any interest there's not much sense doing it. I don't plan on leaving a can open longer than a 24 hr. period anyway, nor do I think anyone else is either.  Smiley But thought it might be of interest to see just how long it does take for BP to deteriorate to the point where it might absorb moisture. Probably just one of those useless bits of minutae (inside joke) that would rattle around in your head.

PETE

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #40 - May 9th, 2004 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
Pete,

I didn't mean to sound like I had all of the answers, but the one "test" I had done on black and its propensity for strength vs water content was the one with factory loaded (Winchester-Olin) plastic shotgun shells, with the results described.  A bit on the informal side, I must admit.  I have printed out your article and will study it (and the others) further. I'm a little confused by the line in your post which said,

"As humidity decreases wt of powder drops .1gr per 1% change..."

Doesn't that mean that relative humidity DOES affect weight of an equal volume of powder?   ???  If we are talking about a change from a common 75-85% relative humidity here in VA to something under 50% or even lower in the South West, that could be pretty significant, if am I reading the statement wrong?

As for fouling, that is of course a whole different bucket of cinders.  I have empirical data for that in my Green Mtn barreled .45-70 that will shoot all day just using a blow tube between shots when the temps are moderate and humidity is high.  If nothing else is changed except that I am shooting on a hot dry day in VA in July, the fouling in my barrel builds up quickly to the point where I need to use a lot more wet stuff to even be able to continue to run a patch through the bore.  BTW, this is with a home-brewed lube based on beeswax and anhydrous lanolin, and pure lead and tin at 25-1 with GOEX ctg grade powder.

Those are my admittedly limited experiences with BP and moisture, so I will just sit back and see what everyone else has to say.  TIA for everyone's input...when we all discuss and listen, we all gain.  Grin

Regards,
Charlie the Frog

PS  My basement is wet enough to grow mushrooms, so maybe I ought to run the test you suggest...I also just got a new digital scale.  Would the aforementioned GOEX be satisfactory for a test powder?  GF

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #41 - May 9th, 2004 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
Charlie,

Ahhh! You've caught the "fly" in the ointment.

Yes, the part of Ed's work says what you think. The problem is, is that it was written under the same assumption we all had prior to the testing we did. As you might notice in the message I addressed to DonH you will see where I address this, altho in a roundabout way. I wanted you, or someone else to "discover" it.

When I did the test as outlined in the message to Brent there were some questions in my mind as to why some shooters would open a new can of powder each day of a match. I figured that BP couldn't be THAT hygroscopic! After I did the test and posted it on BP-L Ed didn't really believe it so thought he'd do it himself. Which he did and found out exactly what I had found out. Brent did the statistical analysis to see if there was enuf evidence to, however small, to show that possibly the BP sample did pick up some moisture. His conclusion was that statistically there was no evidence that it had.

Now both experiments only covered a 24 hr. period, and satisfied the question about the sample absorbing moisure in that time frame. Another experiment I did following this, but which I dont have on the web site, was putting the sample in the oven, under Bill Knights directions for a period of time to dry it out. This was to see, again, if the sample had picked up moisture we couldn't detect. After drying the sample was weighed as fast as posibble after removal from the oven. No detectable change in wgt. was noted.

You are right about fouling being a whole 'nother kettle of fish. But we didn't have a way of really getting a sample directly after firing, weighing it, and then repeating the experiment along the lines of unfired powder. This would probably be useless since everyone can easily provide anecdotes proving this.

As for doing the experiment in your basement... be my guest. I for one would be very interested in what you find out over an extended period of time. Offhand I would assume that somewhere along the line moisture will penetrate the "skin" and the sample will pick up wgt.

As you say... the more input we have the more we all learn.

On the electronic scale.... Personally I wish you would use a standard beam balance. My experience with electronic scales shows most of them as being of limited use and not as sensitive as the other type.

Powder..... I don't suppose it would make any difference other than I used Elephant. Forget now what Ed used. Just make sure you take your sample from a new unopened can so the experiment will be as unbiased as possible.

If you decide to give it a try possibly we can get Josh to split off all the messages dealing with this and put it under a new thread. What do you think?

PETE
« Last Edit: May 9th, 2004 at 11:02pm by »  

IP Logged

DonH
Ex Member

Reply #42 - May 10th, 2004 at 6:51am
Print Post  
Brent, Pete;

I'm not rejecting your data totally. I just have a nagging reservation because of the experience I described. I don't operate on myths and in fact had never heard the thing about a new can of powder every day until it was mentioned here. In the instance I described, NOTHING CHANGED. The powder measure was untouched and the powder came from the same can as the day before except for being exposed to air in the measure for several hours. Before I reject my own experience I would need to know that the results are Always the same in Every experiment, With EVERY powder tried and in EVERY climatic condition.

It is not my intention to just be argumentative, but I'm a relatively intelligent guy who tries to do thing in as regimented way as possible and  I had this thing happen. For now at least, I have to allow that I saw exactly what I saw.

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #43 - May 10th, 2004 at 7:57am
Print Post  
Well, you guys will just have to do your own experiments I guess.  I imagine a month or two in a mushroom cellar might lead to greater moisture absorption.  I have no idea what the utility of that information might be however.  If you spend a month in a mushroom cellar between shots, perhaps there is something to it.  But the issue that started this was the "need" to adjust measures in the middle of a match due to atmospheric variation in humidity causing changes in gunpowder.  And for that, the Pete-Ed-Brent experiment is pretty tough to argue against.  Not that you guys seem to lack for ambition in that department though.  So, have at it.  Me, I'm moving on to another myth.  I used to keep track of all the bp-fables I heard when I started this game and how many of them were absolutely gospel and now, how many of them have fallen?  There is a good article or three in there for someone to write I think. 

Brent

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #44 - May 10th, 2004 at 9:32am
Print Post  
DonH,

The problem with one or two experiments trying to prove a point is that they are a very small sample. I think Brent will tell you that in order to get statistically accurate info you have to have a large input under various conditions. This is why we did the experiment over a relatively long period of time in relation to what a shooter would have done while shooting a match. This was also done in two sections of the country..... Iowa, & Ohio. As you will also note in my experiment there was quite a range of weather conditions, temp.'s and humidity. This was done on purpose!

As to what you've experienced I don't know what happened and since it didn't occur under controlled conditions any scientist would tell you it's invalid. If you will try to duplicate what you've done under controlled conditions and get the same results then we would have to take it into account.

As Brent mentions in another message..... there are so many myths in BP shooting it's hard to keep track of them. I'll mention one in a reply to him. Where these myths come from I don't know since if you take the time to read the old books and magazines you'll find mention things that totally disprove what we THINK we know today.

PETE

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #45 - May 10th, 2004 at 9:45am
Print Post  
Brent,
  One of the big myths in BP shooting is that you must fill the case with powder. You must not have an air space! Yet if you read the loading articles in Shooting & Fishing there are literally dozens of references to just the opposite being done.

Also I've done some experimenting along this line and nothing disastrous happened. I will say tho that I didn't get better accuracy than I would get with a full case under some compression.

With the .28/30 I'm playing with now I'm breechseating and the best powder charge only fills the case about 2/3rds full. On top of that I put a 1/16" cork wad. There must be pretty close to 3/4" of air space in there and I've fired a coupla hundred rounds with nothing unusual happening. I was getting terrible results doing it the "excepted" way until I started thinking outside the box! 

A very big part of the problem with shooting BP is that a lot of these myths are what is holding us back from getting the same results as the old timers got. Due to expensive or unavailable material on the subject we have been re-inventing the wheel these past 20 yrs. or so.

PETE

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint