Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Spotting Scope Power (Read 41244 times)
DonH
Ex Member

Spotting Scope Power
May 1st, 2004 at 7:11am
Print Post  
Hey folks;

For those of you who shoot 200yd rimfire, what power do you use on your spotting scope to resolve the bullet holes?

Don (Woodcutter)

IP Logged

Corky

Re: Spotting Scope Power
Reply #1 - May 1st, 2004 at 9:04am
Print Post  
I use a 25X LER on the Kowa.  I have 44X and even 77X eye pieces but no matter what you use they are hard to see.  It is a matter of clarity rather than magnification.  If you make the image bigger, you also increase the problems with mirage.

I have researched the possibility of using a wireless camera setup but haven't been able to justify the cost.  The quality you need to resolve a .22 hole exceeds what you can buy at Sam's Club.  I haven't given up on the idea but it is on hold for the time being.

My vision is poor so my results are poor.  My not so secret weapon is Cloudy Day, she still has 20/15 vision.  I believe that is the real answer.  The better you can see to start with the better you can see through the scope.

Corky

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - May 1st, 2004 at 9:23am
Print Post  
Corky & Don;
I use a Kowa 82mm with a 27X LER eyepiece. When conditions are good I can see the .22 bullet holes and when they are bad (most of the time) I cannot. I have poor vision and suspect Corky's suggestion is correct. You need good vision to start with.

200 yards is a "far piece" to see those tiny little holes. That is why I shoot at 100 yards with the .22. The difference between a .32 and a .22 is dramatic at 200 yards.

Dale53

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 1st, 2004 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Don,
  I'll agree with the other guys. Atmospheric conditions are the determining factor in seeing .22 holes at 200 yds. The stronger the mirage the less you'll see.

Like Dale I have a Kowa 82mm lensed scope, but I have the 20 - 60x zoom eyepiece. If conditions are good for seeing 20 - 30x will see the holes ok.

When buying a scope always go for the largest objective lens you can afford. That's the one out front if you didn't know. This is the lens that gathers the light and the bigger the better when viewing small objects at at long distances.

The Kowa is considered by the bird watchers to be the best bang for the buck in this regard. Of course we would all like a Leica or Swarovski but at twice the price, plus, of a Kowa they don't give twice the resolution.

PETE

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #4 - May 1st, 2004 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
Don, as I am sure you are now surmising, there is not a good answer that will insure seeing bullet holes at 200 yds, my only solution has been to go down and look, not an answer that is very helpful in the context of your question.  I WILL say that with CF holes of .32 or so, I find a 30-45X eyepiece about all I can handle without the ill effects of mirage ruining any additional gain...this is why those little .22 holes just don't seem to get big enough under any but the BEST of conditions (which always occur on practice days, but it seems never on match days ???)  Shoot centers and just count your winnings when you score the target!

Regards,
the Green Frog

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - May 1st, 2004 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
Don, Whatever scope you use, make sure you use a good solid steady tripod or scope stand.  It doesn't take much of a breeze to get a scope vibrating a little which really messes things up. 
At EG last weekend I never bothered even looking through my spotting scope----of course with my sighting in problems on Sat, and the wind on Sunday, I never bothered trying my luck on the 200 yard targets.  I was having too much "fun" trying to hit the ones at 100.
Another technique some folks use ius to put a red photo filter on their scope which cancels out the red on the target, leaving the bullet holes easier to see.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #6 - May 2nd, 2004 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
Your right a good stand is one of the most important things that you can have. This is the part where I  do my shameless comerical. I just got a Sinclair bench scope stand. It is rock solid. After talking to them about a longer staff so I could use it while shooting offhand they came up with an idea. They sent me the prototype to try. Basicly it is a delrin sleeve and a T-screw that ataches a shaft extention. I have tryed and it works great.

40 Rod

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #7 - May 2nd, 2004 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
40 Rod,
  Sinclair does make a nice bench mounted scope stand, but a little pricey considering you can make one yourself very similar to it a LOT cheaper.

What I've done is get a set of Pony Clamps and some black pipe long enuf to be able to clamp on any bench around here. Get a piece threaded on both ends. The Pony clamp goe on one end and a reducer on the other. Drill and tap that for a pipe the diam. that works with your scope mount clamps. Make that any length you want.

The only problem with these setups is that the longer the this small pipe is the wobblier it is. About the time you get it long enuf for offhand a regular tripod is a lot better. This is why I think the regular Sinclair bench mount is so short. Works good for shooting off the bench tho.

For real spotting work after I'm done with a target, or spotting for someone else, I have a regular surveyor type oak tripod I made. Short of a hurricane it's steady as a rock.

PETE

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - May 2nd, 2004 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
A trick I learned from an old photographer to steady a tripod is to hang your camera bag by the strap over the platform.  the usually heavy gear bag really helps solid-up the tripod.  It helps dampen the little wind tremors and vibrations that mess up long lens shots. When using a tripod for a spotting scope, a mesh sack--a'la oinin or potato flled with rocks, boxes of ammo or what ever would do the trick.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

DonH
Ex Member

Reply #9 - May 2nd, 2004 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
Thanks guys;
This amounted to some brain-picking, I guess. I just wanted to hear some of the thoughts of others on the subject. I'm using a 22x eyepiece and may try a 30 but I'm thinking my stand just isn't solid enough and I do know that makes a difference. Have to work on that.

Don

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #10 - May 3rd, 2004 at 9:30am
Print Post  
Pete
The pony clamp setup is exactly what I replaced with the Sinclair stand. I found it to be even more solid than the pony clamp. It gets a little deeper into the bench and has a wider foot so is more stable. 

40 Rod

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #11 - May 3rd, 2004 at 9:57am
Print Post  
40 Rod,
  That's good to know! From looking at it in Sinclair's catalog it does look like it takes a bigger "bite" on the bench, but no one around here has one so we can see how much better it is, and we all to cheap to buy one to see!  Smiley

Am wondering...... What thickness of bench are you restricted to, or is it just a question of how long the rod is? Around here we run anywhere from the thickness of a 2x12 to 6" concrete tops.

PETE

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - May 3rd, 2004 at 10:41am
Print Post  
Pete;
You are only limited by the length of the rod. It works pretty much like the powder measure stand (if you have seen them). I have the catalog in front of me and it states that it'll handle a bench top thickness between 1/4"-12". That should be adequate! Grin

Dale53

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - May 3rd, 2004 at 10:43am
Print Post  
Pete;
I neglected to warn you - that Sinclair catalog is addictive!! I am an authority on that!! Grin

Dale53

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #14 - May 3rd, 2004 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
Dale53,
  Thanks for the tip on the Sinclair scope stands.

I'll agree about the Sincalair catalog to. The only thing wrong with it is that I don't have enuf money to buy what I'd like. But did get one of their front rests and the windage adjustable top last Summer.

So... Being a Sinclair addict what did you end up buying?

PETE

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint