Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Here We GO Time For A Topic (Read 15521 times)
SCHUETZEN
Ex Member

Here We GO Time For A Topic
Apr 17th, 2004 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
Just for the sake of conversation how do you hold your Rifle while bench shooting. 
Do you treat it like an egg that is about to break or do you grab on and hold on?
Do you like cheek pressure or no cheek pressure?
Do you put your thumb on top of the tang or alongside?
Do you put your shoulder into the gun or just lightly touch it?
Do you pull the trigger straight back or do you use side pressure?
Do you hold on to the rear bag with your free hand or stay off it?
Well what do you all think? 
This should get us off to an interesting start!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Corky

Re: Here We GO Time For A Topic
Reply #1 - Apr 17th, 2004 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
More than anything else, I try to be consistant.   

Take all of the parameters you mentioned and at one time or another the answer is "yes".  The 'Wall I have been using from the bench has a traditional round foreend.  Not exactly well suited for Bench work.  That and a few other things (including poor overall technique) require pressure from the left hand on the bag for fine tuning.  Everything else is as light a touch as I can get away with.

If it was a perfect world and I had a bench gun set up properly I basically wouldn't touch it at all.  Just read the flags and let the gun do it's thing.

Corky

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

First_Shirt
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Apr 17th, 2004 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
I'm with Corky on this one.

Consistency, once you find what works for your particular rifle, is the key.  Your rifle will have a lot to say about how it wants to be held, depending on weight and stock style, among other things.

Greg

IP Logged

SCHUETZEN
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Apr 17th, 2004 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
Corky where do you rest your rifle? Mine likes it just in front of the forend! 

I am like you I shot a Stevens Offhand Rifle not stable on the bench but if I do my part I can give them a run for the Money. 

What caliber is your Wall? I am shooting 32-40!

IP Logged

Corky

Reply #4 - Apr 17th, 2004 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
The 'Wall is a 32-40.  I have tried several locations on the rest.  The barrel just in front of the forend works well as does the center of the forend.

I have one of the detachable sleds, but I just can't bring myself to add it.  I am afraid it will work and I hate to breakup the lines of a beautiful rifle.

Corky

IP Logged

SCHUETZEN
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Apr 17th, 2004 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
Corky that is my problem! I am looking at trying a sled myself and have the same feelings as you!!

IP Logged

dws8130
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Apr 17th, 2004 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
When I started shooting the .22 lowall off the bench I found it to be VERY sensitive to cheek pressure and to triggerhand position  and pressure. the round bottom, schnable-tipped splinter forend really looked cool but was obviously not designed for bench shooting.  I whittled out a modest looking flat bottomed forend that was much more stable with a small step that let me position it consistantly fore-and-aft and it improved my scores considerabley.   
With the 45-70 hi-wall I don't have a clue.  there is so much excitement going on each time I touch it off I can't keep track of all that stuff.  my guess is that it'd benefit with similar treatment.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #7 - Apr 18th, 2004 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
And just to muddy the waters, there is the style of bench resting practiced with good results by leadball and others which is called "free recoil."  You get everything lined up and sitting on the bags, then with nothing else touching the gun but your trigger finger, you set her off!  This strategy does not work for all people with all rifles (you know, YMMV!)   

FWIW, when I shoot the Peregrine this way, it seems to do well IF and ONLY IF I get the bags and rifle situated just right and very consistently.

Green Frog

IP Logged

SCHUETZEN
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Apr 18th, 2004 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
Mr. Frog I have seen George Eickoff shoot that way! 

He would get down on his Rifle line everything up in the scope then sit straight up and watch the conditions, when he saw what he wanted he would reach over and touch it off with his finger while still sitting up! 

George is hard to beat, it works for him.

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #9 - Apr 20th, 2004 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
A lot depends on the shape of the stocks on the rifle. If your rifle is shaped more like a modern bench rest rifle with a flat bottom. then free recoil works well. If you are shooting a more traditionally stocked rifle that the recoil must be controled. Which ever method that you use consistancy is the key.

40 Rod

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Reply #10 - May 14th, 2004 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
Hi Corky, I noticed with interest your comment about having a sled.  I might wish to hang one on a 28-30 bench rifle that is nearing completion. Where could I see a pic of one & buy same ?    Ken

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #11 - May 14th, 2004 at 3:31pm
Print Post  
Ken,
  There is a Pope Muzzle rest pictured on pg.59 of the current BA catalog. I got one of them last year. The area that clamps on the barrel and the area that actually slides are sorta polished. The rest is in the rough cast. Of course you can dress it up a bit wit hlittle trouble. Would recommend tho that you put a sheet of paper where it contacts the barrel in order to prevent it from scratching the surface.

You mean to tell me that your .28/30 isn't done yet!  Smiley Got mine to late last Fall t odo anything with it but have been having a ball playing with it this Spring. Shooting mostly BP. You will find it's one tough nut to crack. I've put about 500 rds. thru mine so far and just now getting it to shoot halfway decently. Been trying to get some conversation going on that caliber on here but so far no takers.

PETE

IP Logged

Corky

Reply #12 - May 14th, 2004 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
Hi Ken, glad to see you made it!

The device I have is called a Possum Hollow Foreend Stabilizer.  You can see a photo and description at Sinclair's website, (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I haven't tried it as yet.  I believe to be properly affixed it takes a swivel stud which I do not have installed.  Talk about messing up an original!

Corky

IP Logged

halp
Ex Member

Reply #13 - May 14th, 2004 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
Have you guys noticed that not only a fore end configuration and butt stock shape dictate the type of hold you use on the bags but that different actions require different holds, too?
I really think that my traditionally stocked High Walls require a much tighter hold than does my Ballard or 44 1/2 action rifles. 
Seems if I forget for an instant to keep the constant pressure back into my shoulder, my High walls tend to want to drop a shot. Your thoughts??

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Reply #14 - May 14th, 2004 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
Hi ya Pete.  Guess I should hang my head in shame but there is a reason.  The bbl was hung by our Mr. HST (Glenn F. ) who had to do it in his spare time which he had run out of. I then had the bbl/action sent to Steve Earle for shaping (it was a blank) oct to round. Steve got tied up at work & couldn't get to it AND, he is also trying to get those Wessons out . Steve tells me that he has the bbl cut to straight oct. but still needs to put a slight taper to it before he turns it round. In the mean time , I have a butt stock (crotch amer. wal.) finished and have engraved the action with just a touch of gold and about 50% coverage banknote scroll. As soon as I can get the bbl/action together, I will return it to Glenn so he can cut the chamber. I'll have to buy a reamer for it I guess as he doesn't have one. I will send the action off to "Classic Guns" for their color case of the action & carbona bluing of the lever & breechblock. Once all this stuff is done, I guess it will sit in the rack with the others (about 20 or so) that mostly remain unshot.  I know, I know ----   take the time to go shooting but there are are so many client jobs to be done so whats a guy to do ???  Maybe the Frog will get down and shame me into doing some shooting this summer.

Thanks for the info on that sled Corky,  maybe I should buy one to sit in the rack with the rifle to keep it company.

Ken

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint