Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic High Wall Conversion (Read 407 times)
4570mike
Senior Forum Member

High Wall Conversion
Sep 14th, 2024 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
I have a High Wall built by the Cody Ballard people.  It has the usual “full cock on closing” feature in the action.  I’d like to eliminate this and convert it to just reset on “safety” when closing the action.
I was told this requires changing the fly on the hammer.  Any body know where one could acquire one of these?
The action is the flat spring style if that matters.
Thanks, Mike.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: High Wall Conversion
Reply #1 - Sep 14th, 2024 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
Does it have a fly cut in the hammer and a set trigger?   Not sure how to have a fly that blocks sear engagement at full cock and still blocks the 1/2 cock notch when using a set trigger. It probably has been done though.  When you raise the lever which raises the block the sear is far above the full cock notch.  When you manually cock the hammer with the lever up, the sear just barely is above the full cock notch.  I have had issues with too weak a seat spring relative to the knockoff spring where the hammer will engage full cock only on raising the lever not manually cocking.  I have a low wall that started doing that after replacing the trigger.  Fixing it is on my low priority list. 

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

steel-pounder

Reply #2 - Sep 15th, 2024 at 10:17am
Print Post  
I remember seeing something about this in one of the Winchester single shot books along with drawings and/or pictures of said fly.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Sep 15th, 2024 at 11:20am
Print Post  
I vaguely remember as well.  I will look through my Campbell books.

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

4570mike
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Sep 15th, 2024 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
bpjack wrote on Sep 14th, 2024 at 3:20pm:
Does it have a fly cut in the hammer and a set trigger?   Not sure how to have a fly that blocks sear engagement at full cock and still blocks the 1/2 cock notch when using a set trigger. It probably has been done though.  When you raise the lever which raises the block the sear is far above the full cock notch.  When you manually cock the hammer with the lever up, the sear just barely is above the full cock notch.  I have had issues with too weak a seat spring relative to the knockoff spring where the hammer will engage full cock only on raising the lever not manually cocking.  I have a low wall that started doing that after replacing the trigger.  Fixing it is on my low priority list. 

I haven't disassembled the innards, but it has DST so there is likely a fly in it already.

Jack

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Sep 15th, 2024 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
You most likely have the standard fly.  Here are 2 photos showing the fly at the bottom ready to prevent the sear from engaging the 1/2 cock notch and the fly at the top.  A well fitting fly will stick out/up at the full cock notch so the sear sits between the hammer body and the fly tip.  This insures that the sear will first force the fly down if it did not fall down on its own when the hammer reaches full cock.  
Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Sep 15th, 2024 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
I have one hammer  in my 45-90 high wall that has two flys. One is positioned higher and blocks the full cock notch. But because the lower fly is the same as the ones pictured in my previous post, the hammer falls past 1/2 cock to full rest.   That version is mentioned in Campbell’s book.  I think the hammer falls before the lever is all the way up so that the link is still holding the firing pin back.  I have shot this rifle many thousands of times and never had a round go off when the hammer falls the first time.   

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint