Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Weird Grouping on Newly Lined .22 Barrel (Read 334 times)
Mass Patriot
Participating Member

Weird Grouping on Newly Lined .22 Barrel
Sep 10th, 2024 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
I put a new liner in a .22 Hopkins falling block ( (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links))  Used a liner rifled for .22 LR.  Trying it out with .22LR 40 grain and .22CB caps 29 grain. The CB caps are hitting 2.5 to 3" left.  .22LR hit center, right on, but the CBs are all striking left.  Elevation is fine, just the windage problem.

As expected, the CB groups aren't as accurate as the LR, but the real issue is they are so far left.  What gives? 

Ironically, my primary rifle is an Winchester 1890 rifle chambered in .22 Long, with a poor bore from the black powder era.  It groups LR much better than CB or Longs, and all shoot to the same center. 

I'd like to shoot the CBs, because they are quiet enough for my neighborhood, but if they are going to shoot "off the grid" then it's a no-go.

Joe

NRA Life Member, and an NRA Golden Eagle
Massachusetts GOAL member

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Weird Grouping on Newly Lined .22 Barrel
Reply #1 - Sep 12th, 2024 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
My experience they don’t shoot to the same point of aim as the .22 long rifle. How about adjusting the Hopkins & Allen sight and dedicate it to CB’s 

Boats

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Sep 12th, 2024 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
You might try some CCI Quiet .22 lr.  I shoot that in my back yard and the bullets hitting the steel trap make more sound than the rounds going off. 

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

Mass Patriot
Participating Member

Reply #3 - Sep 13th, 2024 at 9:59am
Print Post  
Boats,
Good idea.  I decided to dedicate it to .22LR, and use sights for that.  .22LR just has more utility, and CCI quiet LR use a 40 gr bullet, so I can use that instead of the CBs.   
To get the CBs to on-target I had to move the front sight left in the base, and jack the rear sight way over.  It just looked weird.   

Bpjack,
Thanks for that.   CCI's line of quiet ammo w 40 gr bullets gives a good compromise of accuracy and noise.  They've got different versions at 710, 835, and 970 fps so the options are great.

Joe

NRA Life Member, and an NRA Golden Eagle
Massachusetts GOAL member

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Sep 13th, 2024 at 10:46am
Print Post  
Agree with the others better to switch ammo than extreme sight adjustment.   I still have CB 22’s on hand use them when working on firing pins. Check for proper strike out the shop door 

Boats

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Sep 13th, 2024 at 11:40am
Print Post  
Wait.  What?  Jack the rear sight? What do I have to do? I haven’t been paying attention. 

Jack
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2024 at 12:55pm by bpjack »  

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint