Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 2000’s era rem rolling block rifles (Read 251 times)
UpNorthCountry

2000’s era rem rolling block rifles
Sep 12th, 2024 at 10:43am
Print Post  
Were the late 90? Early 00 Remington rolling blocks with the SST decent rifles?  Been looking at one in 45/70.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: 2000’s era rem rolling block rifles
Reply #1 - Sep 12th, 2024 at 11:01am
Print Post  
Yes they were decent rifles. And the upper end versions were even nicer with high grade stocks, and nicer finish. Prices vary greatly depending on which version they are.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

4570mike
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Sep 12th, 2024 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
I had three of them.  All very good shooters.  Very good build quality. They were the ones that came in the factory hard case.  One was nicely engraved.
Had to get away from heavy recoil so they went.
What are they asking for them now?
Mike.

IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Sep 13th, 2024 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
I had very good luck with the first I owned. It was built for me for an article I wrote for "The Accurate Rifle" in 2000. It was a heavy, round barrel with a blued receiver and fancy wood without the case.  One problem I had was the firing pit was too short and often would more to the rear far enough that the hammer would hit it. I solved that with a small leaf spring I inserted in the block. The other was the poor fit of the buttstock, I could feel it shift sometimes when I mounted it to my shoulder, fixed that with acra-glas. I believe the serial number was 0050. Unfortunately I let it get away from me...

The second one I had was one of the production versions in a case with all the options, terrible workmanship overall.  The front sight was canted to one side and the rear sight in the opposite direction. On top of that, the barrel flats had a drop-off/spiral at the end where they merged with the round portion of the barrel. Amazingly it took a lot of explaining for them to understand the importance of the sights being square to each other. I got the rifle NIB and was able to convince the Remington Custom shop to take it in for repair. They agreed to put in a full round barrel but when I got it back the sights were again canted. So it went back for another rework.

Eventually the Custom shop informed me that they were unable to fix it and would buy the rifle back from me for the money I paid for it. Getting the refund was a long process that only happened after I wrote letters to the editors of a number of gun magazines that Remington advertised in. Within 5 days of me sending those letters Remington called to confirm my address for the check...

As to the "Standard Grade" rollers, I saw an advertisement for one on GB that had the blade sight was inserted backwards, like a pistol ramp sight. The owner claimed t was delivered like that. Since I was then in frequent contact with the Custom Shop I casually mentioned the ad and asked about it. Few days later the foreman told me he spoke to the young man building those rifles and he assured the foreman it was correct. A few weeks later during a conversation about my rifle the foreman told me that over the previous weekend he was looking a a book with a lot of old rifles in it and the front sights were all mounted in the opposite direction, I was dumbfounded!  

« Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2024 at 12:36pm by SchwarzStock »  

If your rifle is not in 7.62 and you can't hit what you are aiming at with de-linked machinegun ammo you are a pretender.

IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Sep 13th, 2024 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
Mike Venturino wrote in his Buffalo guns book that the modern Remington roller looked like the actions were handed to someone familiar with modern sporting rifles to finish and I have to say I completely agree with that assessment.

I spent over 25 years involved with military sniping, fielding of the M24 and the concept and development of the Remington 700 based 338 Lapua caliber sniper rifles. I have been a diehard fan of Remington for years but the modern rolling block IMHO is a gun to avoid.

If your rifle is not in 7.62 and you can't hit what you are aiming at with de-linked machinegun ammo you are a pretender.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint