Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) How to polish a chamber? (Read 1123 times)
wesg
Senior Forum Member

Re: How to polish a chamber?
Reply #15 - Sep 18th, 2024 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
Any sort of 'formed' shape spun around with lapping compound will result in grooves being formed by the compound and abraded material clumping up. Cycling it axialy would probably be ok for a straight case. A bottleneck ... better keep a close eye on it.

Something 'flexible' ... Scotch-brite ... on a mandrel, seems a better alternative.

IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Sep 19th, 2024 at 10:51am
Print Post  
JHand wrote on Sep 16th, 2024 at 4:47pm:
westerner wrote on Sep 8th, 2024 at 10:54pm:
"Also, this rifle has beautiful wood, but you can't really see it unless it's in direct sunlight. Any tips to lighten up the color so you can actually see the grain?"

Beautiful wood. Lay it in the sun often so people can enjoy it.

Try this stuff.    (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

You already have one positive recommendation for it.

That gun glow works really good!

That gun glow stuff is looking close to the plastic/epoxy finishes popular in years past, not my taste Wink

If your rifle is not in 7.62 and you can't hit what you are aiming at with de-linked machinegun ammo you are a pretender.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Sep 22nd, 2024 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
I got some gun glow yesterday.  I tried it on the BUG (Butt Ugly Gun).  Now it is the BUGG (Butt Ugly Glowing Gun)

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #18 - Sep 22nd, 2024 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
I use a 12 gauge bore mop coated with the red JB BoreBright spinning in a drill to polish my chamber.

I understand you do not want to over polish a chamber since brass cases can then stick to the chamber wall.
« Last Edit: Sep 22nd, 2024 at 5:04pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #19 - Sep 22nd, 2024 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
I would wonder if a chamber was too polished could it increase pressure against the breech block? The finish on the chamber helps hold the cartridge as the pressures rise, and we avoid case lube because it lets the case move rearward when fired. Couldn't a shiny chamber also let the case move rearward easier?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #20 - Sep 22nd, 2024 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
You can actually polish a chamber and CAUSE stuck cases - as I was advised by the gunsmith and barrel maker Ron Smith - RKS Enterprises. 

I have also seen this comment on a number of shooting forums as well.

A smoother wall means there is greater contact of the dry polished brass case to the surface increasing friction so it does not relax after firing and then sticks to the highly polished chamber wall.

Normally brass will relax after firing allowing it to be easily extracted.

A rougher surface prevents as much of the brass to adhere to the wall.

The chamber needs to seal enough to prevent pressure moving around the case wall but not sealled too much that it sticks from increased friction from more surface to surface contact of the brass to the chamber wall.
« Last Edit: Sep 22nd, 2024 at 5:28pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #21 - Sep 22nd, 2024 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
Yup with Gun Glow you can be a slick shooter Jack.

I quit using it because I kept sliding off my rifle but the glare diverted the shooters POA adjacent to me.

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #22 - Sep 22nd, 2024 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
Schuetzendave wrote on Sep 22nd, 2024 at 5:09pm:
You can actually polish a chamber and CAUSE stuck cases - as I was advised by the gunsmith and barrel maker Ron Smith - RKS Enterprises. 

A smoother wall means there is greater contact of the dry polished brass case to the surface increasing friction so it does not relax after firing and then sticks to the highly polished chamber wall.

The chamber needs to seal enough to prevent pressure moving around the case wall but not sealled too much that it sticks from increased friction from more surface to surface contact of the brass to the chamber wall.

That's hard to believe.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

GunBum

Reply #23 - Sep 22nd, 2024 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
Jeff_Schultz wrote on Sep 22nd, 2024 at 5:56pm:
Schuetzendave wrote on Sep 22nd, 2024 at 5:09pm:

That's hard to believe.

Very hard to believe.  My experience is that smooth chamber walls help, not hurt.

Varmint Al did the calculations and ran the computer simulations (finite element analysis) for different coefficients of friction in polished chambers a decade ago.  Rougher chambers cause the case head to stretch more.  You can’t realistically polish enough to get to the point where the chamber becomes so smooth that the brass won’t grip.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

“ CONCLUSION.... A polished or low friction chamber decreases the plastic strain near the case head and reduces the chance of case head separation on subsequent reloads.”

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Sep 23rd, 2024 at 12:32am
Print Post  
You can polish too much, radially, not by getting too smooth, but you can cause a slight bulge in one area of the chamber, and it will sure stick then.  So, if you're going to polish by spinning something in the chamber, you can sure polish too much and create a slightly bigger spot that hangs up the case.  Particularly if you use a mop or brush or flex hone or such.  That gets started cutting in one area, and the bristles or nap or whatever flexible thing you use bend or flex or migrate to that area, and cut more, and more, and more until you have a sticky chamber. 

That's why I polish longitudinally.  Nearly impossible to cause a ring doing that.  You can egg shape if you don't pay attention to where you're cutting, so you have to both watch where you're cutting, and move that around the perimeter evenly to keep the polishing uniform.   

The same thing happens when you buff steel instead of polishing with sandpaper backed by a hard backer or stones.  Buffing allows the nap of the wheel to follow some areas of the surface, and create an uneven, wavy surface.   

You can also see that same problem on a round barrel that you wrap emery or sandpaper around and sand by pulling the paper back and forth perpendicular to the barrel.  It ends up wavy.  To get it smoothest and looking best, you need to polish longitudinally, preferably with the paper held on a hard wooden form bored to barrel size.  The final grit can be done radially if you want, as it cuts very little so the effect isn't noticeable.
« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2024 at 12:37am by ssdave »  

IP Logged

GunBum

Reply #25 - Sep 23rd, 2024 at 8:18am
Print Post  
Yeah…
You can screw up the chamber by making it oval or polishing in divots or a number of other screw ups.  That’s all true.

You can’t polish it so smooth that it creates a safety problem or cause sticking by having it too smooth. That’s an internet myth.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint