Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Swedish RB Receiver Question (Read 548 times)
fjrdoc
Participating Member

Swedish RB Receiver Question
Sep 6th, 2024 at 7:41am
Print Post  
Hello.
I purchased a 1875 Swedish RB from Simpson's earlier this year. This rifle was rebarreled at the arsenal in 8x 58R. The bore is excellent and shoots nicely.
I'm in the process of restocking the rifle to look more like a proper sporting version. I'm not a gunsmith, just a hobbyist.
I would like to keep the cost of this build reasonable. I like the look of color case hardening but don't feel like spending the bucks for it on this rifle.
I have used Steel FX (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
patinas to simulate CCH on other parts with good outcomes and intended to use them on this receiver and lower tang.
Obviously when fitting and finishing the stock and forearm, I will need to sand the wood to metal interface and I intend to do finishing work on the rest of the receiver. Will doing this create a safety concern in regards to removing the outer case hardening that exists on the receiver already? I am aware that loads for these old RB should be kept to the 20,000 PSI range.
Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Swedish RB Receiver Question
Reply #1 - Sep 6th, 2024 at 10:06am
Print Post  
The case hardening has very little to do with the strength; so it won't affect the safety.  Just the wear characteristics of the surface and if I understand you correctly, you're applying some kind of plastic overlay or similar for a finish anyway, so that's not a concern.  

However, there's absolutely no need to sand the metal to do a stock.  Just be careful inletting to not chisel or rasp the metal, use a very sharp pencil to mark the interface edge, and do final sanding to that pencil line.  I just did a stock last week on a case colored receiver, and did exactly that to not damage the finish.  Stockmakers do it all the time.  

Edit:  I just looked at the link you had for the gel stains you would be using.  For the price of them, I'd just have it color cased; it will have a lot better durability and looks, will have and hold value better, and will only be roughly $125 more.  No way would I pay $150 for some stains and then have to do it myself when I could pay $250 to $300 and have it professionally color cased.  It looks like the pre-finish polish would have to be similar either way.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Sep 6th, 2024 at 10:28am
Print Post  
If the metal is prepped and polished real color casehardening wont cost as much as his kits do! I'd always choose real color casehardening over the price he's asking for his kit.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

fjrdoc
Participating Member

Reply #3 - Sep 6th, 2024 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the responses. I already have several of the metal stains that I purchased for another project. I'll see what I decide to do when I get closer to that point.
I have tossed around having the metal CCH. I don't have a barrel vise at home for removal. I'd remove it myself, but my understanding is that these RB's can be stubborn.

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #4 - Sep 6th, 2024 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
1867 Swedish Rolling Block Sporter in 8x58R which was color case hardened when it was rebarreled by Carl Gustaf.

NYS Rolling Block bone color case hardened.

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #5 - Sep 6th, 2024 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
I taped the receiver and first filed and then sanded the stock down to the tape.

Drew a line after removing the tape and removed the stock to do the fine sanding down to the pencil line edge.

The original stock was too wide after the receiver had been sanded down prior to being color case hardened and had to be narrowed to fit the refinished receiver.

IP Logged

fjrdoc
Participating Member

Reply #6 - Sep 6th, 2024 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
Very nice RB Dave.
Very similar to my project. I'm going to keep her as an 8x58R. I have a high wall in 45-70. This will make a nice intermediate single shot.
Your CCH colors look great! From what I've been researching, the receiver and trigger guard will need to be annealed before CCH.
Kevin

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #7 - Sep 6th, 2024 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
I sanded my receiver down before it was color case hardened.

I never annealed it. The sanding removes most of the hardened metal.

This is another Swedish Rolling Block I refinished. It was rust blued.
The 1867 Sporter in the previous picture I kept since it had a new 8x58R barrel but this 1872 I rebarreled to .38-50 Remington Hepburn.

The NYS RB was rebarreled to .50-70 RKS barrel.
« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2024 at 10:12am by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

fjrdoc
Participating Member

Reply #8 - Sep 7th, 2024 at 7:24am
Print Post  
Nice RB Dave. I have the stock inletted along with the shotgun butt plate. The forearm is almost fully inletted. I'm going to try and pour a pewter nose cap. I've never done one before some I'm going to give it a try.

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #9 - Sep 7th, 2024 at 10:14am
Print Post  
Take pictures of your process making the pewter tip and post them for us to see.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #10 - Sep 7th, 2024 at 10:58am
Print Post  
I've built quite a few Rolling Block rifles using Swede receivers, and never annealed any of them before working the metal, or before sending them to Al Springer for color case hardening. Al does them quickly, and gets them back to me within a month.
Never had a barrel that was stubborn either. All came of easily. I have had one stubborn barrel on a single shot of any kind and that was a Ballard #3 .22RF that was a pretty poor condition rifle. I had to heat the receiver at the threads, and then put my action wrench on the receiver, and give it a whack with a big hammer to shock the threads loose.

These are a couple Rolling Blocks Al color cased for me:

IP Logged

fjrdoc
Participating Member

Reply #11 - Sep 7th, 2024 at 11:32am
Print Post  
Nice looking RB's marlinguy. Any pointers or helpful hints for barrel removal?

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #12 - Sep 7th, 2024 at 11:45am
Print Post  
fjrdoc wrote on Sep 7th, 2024 at 11:32am:
Nice looking RB's marlinguy. Any pointers or helpful hints for barrel removal?

I have a barrel vise that came from Midway USA and was just under $50 when I bought it. My action wrench is homemade by my late friend Whitey Hanson. 
A couple things to watch for when spinning barrels off. First be sure to reinstall the lower tang/trigger plate to keep the receiver from being damaged. Then make sure the action wrench is located over the front edge of the receiver where it's the strongest. Use wood blocks that fit the barrel shape closely, or get some sheet lead to line the blocks that will form to the barrel shape as you tighten the barrel vise down. You don't want the action wrench too tight, just firm; but you want the barrel vise to clamp the barrel tightly. Some rosin in the blocks can help on a stubborn barrel, as will heat, but I rarely need either.
When you start to break the action loose it usually turns easily. If not, then give the action wrench a good whack to shock the threads, and it will usually turn off easily after that. Be sure to hang onto the action wrench as you hit it, as sometimes they'll snap free and the wrench will take off spinning if not held.
Barrels rarely take more than a small amount of torque to break loose, or tighten. But be sure to put alignment marks on the bottom of the barrel and receiver if the plan is to reuse the same barrel. It makes it much easier to index the marks and get it back on perfectly.

IP Logged

sureshot
Senior Forum Member

Reply #13 - Sep 7th, 2024 at 11:59am
Print Post  
Val,
Could you please post a photo of your rolling block action wrench?
Thanks,

Steve. 😀

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Sep 7th, 2024 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
Not Vall's, but mine; 1" square, I tried smaller and it wasn't strong enough.  This has held for everything so far and there's been some tough ones.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint