Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Work you just hate to do (Read 834 times)
ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Work you just hate to do
Sep 4th, 2024 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
I'm always glad I don't do general gunsmithing work for the public.   

Today, finishing up a rifle I've been postponing doing for a friend.  He brought over a 1902 rolling block with a cheap 45-70 barrel screwed into it.  It needed the trigger worked over, and it had been stoned previously so it was unsafe once the heavy trigger spring was removed; it would fire itself.  So, had to recut all the angles and fix it and then install spring to lower the weight.   

Then, made a new forearm for it.  Easy enough, but nothing esthetic about the rifle; the buttstock is an incorrect one too small and not inletted for the dovetail surface on a 1902.  Nothing I can fix there, it's just wrong and ugly.  Could maybe epoxy the inletting to fit better, but the stocks smaller than the metal, so no helping it there.  There's no matching the style or finish or anything with the forearm, just make one and stick it on there.  So, I did.

The thing I really hate doing is the tang sight.  He brought over a pedersoli "leaner" windage adjustment sight.  Arguably the worst tang sight you could possibly get.  Thus, cheapest.  The mounting screw spacing is wrong for a rolling block.  The holes are huge, it takes a 10-32 to fit them.  I elected to drill the holes such that the front one will be right for a correct sight, and a 3rd hole can be drilled in the rear if someone ever wants to put on a correct sight.   

There's nothing rewarding about finishing this rifle; it's an ugly junker that could be made into something better if you bought it right.  Great action, decent trigger now, cheap barrel, ugly, wrong buttstock, mis-matched forearm, useless, ugly tang sight, wrong spacing to replace it.  And, to top it off, the dovetail for the rear sight on the barrel is crooked, so the part of the sight that goes in the dovetail is hanging out one side of the barrel when the sight notch is centered.  Don't know how someone could mill a sight slot crooked!

He just wants something cheap that will go bang.  I guess this is it.

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Work you just hate to do
Reply #1 - Sep 4th, 2024 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
We all have those friends. I also have a 1902 roller a fellow shooting buddy gave me to re barrel. He gave me a unknown 7mm blank and said "fix it for me". I turned and fitted it chambered it but I am having a heck of a time with the rotary extractor. I used the original stub to copy the cuts and the extractor fits well but when you "roll" it back it wants to drift to the left and won't grab the case rim. Got to figure that out. He said no hurry so I have had it for over a year so guess I need to get back on it. Yes we all have those friends and you want to help a friend out.  You know the saying a friend in need is one indeed...

JMH

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #2 - Sep 4th, 2024 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
Work, any work. A RKS barrel has been in my lathe for several weeks. The shank is threaded. I should go out there and fit the breech block. 

Tomorrow I have to go to the bank and get some parts for my Jeep, then I go shoot silhouettes and finish the day off with Chinese food. It'll take a day or two to rest up from that. Maybe this weekend I'll fit the breech block. It could happen...

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #3 - Sep 4th, 2024 at 11:40pm
Print Post  
Wes,

You work at a much faster pace than I do!  Grin

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

GunBum

Reply #4 - Sep 5th, 2024 at 8:00am
Print Post  
Sometimes functions wins over form.

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Sep 5th, 2024 at 9:54am
Print Post  
GunBum wrote on Sep 5th, 2024 at 8:00am:
Sometimes functions wins over form. 

Unfortunately, this won't function well.  The sight is just plain unusable; there's no repeatable way to adjust windage.  The barrel sight will catch your hand if you hold the barrel.  The buttstock is slightly loose because of poor fit, and the edges of the receiver catch your hand where the wood is sanded too small.  At least, the trigger and the forend function correctly!

I could probably epoxy in the stock to some semblance of functionality, but he's satisfied with it as is.  It was his work to buy it on ebay and get it fitted to his action.  He also chose the rear sight.  He purchased the barreled action cheap somewhere, and the rest was a low dollar effort to complete a rifle from it.  You should have seen the forearm he started out with trying to make work.  I just discarded it and cut a new one out from scratch.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - Sep 5th, 2024 at 11:00am
Print Post  
I've had to deal with those stupid tang sights before when two different guys asked me to help. In both cases I told the guys we needed to find perfect vertical and then put blue Loctite on all the adjustment screws and pivot screw for windage so they would never get moved again. Better to have perfect vertical than to have that goofy tilt the staff windage.
I'd just remove the barrel sight and put a Marbles blank in the dovetail to fix the angled dovetail cut. Doesn't even need that sight if he's got a tang sight. 
Sometimes all you can do is make it better, and it's still not good enough.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #7 - Sep 5th, 2024 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
"pivot screw" ? What are you talking about Vall?

IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #8 - Sep 5th, 2024 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
Nice to have a place where you can vent and commiserate with like minded folks! Grin

Regards,
Joe

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #9 - Sep 6th, 2024 at 12:08am
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Sep 5th, 2024 at 1:05pm:

Those cheap sights have a staff held on by a single screw that allows the staff to tilt left or right for windage. That is the "pivot screw" as the staff pivots off that single screw and has two other screws to maintain the angle or windage. I Loctite all three of those screws once the staff is perfectly vertical, eliminating any future adjustments to tilt the staff.
They're really a horrible sight with weird adjustments, and lots of slop in the lead screw threads.
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2024 at 12:24am by marlinguy »  

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #10 - Sep 6th, 2024 at 12:18am
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Sep 6th, 2024 at 12:08am:
westerner wrote on Sep 5th, 2024 at 1:05pm:

Those chap sights have a staff held on by a single screw that allows the staff to tilt left or right for windage. That is the "pivot screw" as the staff pivots off that single screw and has two other screws to maintain the angle or windage. I Loctite all three of those screws once the staff is perfectly vertical, eliminating any future adjustments to tilt the staff.
They're really a horrible sight with weird adjustments, and lots of slop in the lead screw threads.

Oh, those... Cringe... Sad

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Sep 6th, 2024 at 12:27am
Print Post  
Here's some pictures of this gem.  I'm going to talk to him tomorrow about maybe doing some epoxy work on the stock.  It is so loose I'm afraid someone will break the tang trying to pull it into the stock inletting.  I could also plug the tang screw hole, set it back 1/4 inch to get the front to fit, and then redrill.  a lot of work for something that will never fit the lower tang, because it's grossly undersize.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #12 - Sep 6th, 2024 at 10:31am
Print Post  
It looks exactly as you described, so no surprises there! I hope he springs for at least an entry level semi inletted stock to make it look much better!

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Sep 6th, 2024 at 11:49pm
Print Post  
I did one many years ago with a stock from Treebone carving. It fit reasonably well with only a short time to fit to the receiver. Mostly scraping to get it fitted.
It would greatly benefit from the proper stock...

JMH

IP Logged

GunBum

Reply #14 - Sep 7th, 2024 at 8:11am
Print Post  
Or…

Use this as an opportunity to teach your friend to inlet and shape a stock from a block of wood.

I have had friends in the past who wanted to avoid doing the work, and later came back with my original suggestion of replacing the wood.  I keep straight grained walnut around for such projects.  The picture is an H&A 922 Junior that wasn’t nice enough for fancy wood, but needed a new stock.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint