Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Farquharson from Castings (Read 2683 times)
oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Farquharson from Castings
Reply #45 - Sep 12th, 2024 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
Bob, some years ago at a huge show in Reno a guy had tables full of Turkish blanks. The stocker from Shiloh was looking at it. You might ask him. Cecil Fredi usually has Circassian/Turkish blanks. No problem dealing with him. CPA has some nice English and possibly Turkish.
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2024 at 5:45pm by oneatatime »  

IP Logged

SBertram

Reply #46 - Sep 12th, 2024 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
bobw wrote on Sep 12th, 2024 at 5:04pm:
I agree guys on using the thin shell walnut.  It’s just that if the action doesn’t end up at the level I want it at, I’m not sure I’d spend what I would need to, using English, finishing it up.  I agree Lynn as much work as it is stocking a gun, I hate using questionable or plain wood.  Just as well have something nice.

Steve, I spent a evening a few days ago talking with a guy in Turkey that had what looked like some very nice wood.  I’m leery of doing business with these folks, but this guy seems really legit and sincere.  Says he does business with retailers here in the US, selling wholesale to them.   But, the only way he can be paid is a form I’ve never heard of or wire transfer!  So, the brakes are on, for now anyway.

Thanks guys for some other wood options.  I’ll look into them.
Bob

Bob,
      I have imported very good wood directly from Turkey, it was  wet, the guy was honest, price was not near as low as it should have been for how wet the wood was. . I would send him wire transfers.

Hunterbid is very fair, his wood is completely dry, much of it cut over 20 years ago. 

A decent working blank should not break the bank. 

Steve

IP Logged

Grand slam
Senior Forum Member

Reply #47 - Sep 14th, 2024 at 1:02am
Print Post  
That’s nice wood Bob, but you’re right not to use it and save it for a low recoiling rifle. That blank of Black Walnut I got from Cecil Fredi in Vegas  that I used on my .22rf build is nice, and he’s a good guy to deal with.  Good wood is getting so expensive but I’ll bet your action will be worthy of a good stick.
Cheers Richard

IP Logged

LRF
Oldtimer

Reply #48 - Sep 14th, 2024 at 5:57am
Print Post  
Bob, I again suggest you at least contact Roger Vardy. He knows ever piece of wood he ha sold. If you give him the stock blank number, even from 30 years ago, he will tell you all the particulars of the tree that the blank came from. His wood is not over priced. Shipping is always a thing but how do you get away from it unless you cut the tree in your backyard. Roger's website is extensive. As I said at least look at it.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #49 - Sep 15th, 2024 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
Lynn, I looked at Roger site when you first mentioned it but thought I must be getting it wrong.  The only Roger Vardy I come up with is in Australia.   
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #50 - Sep 15th, 2024 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
Steve,  Hunterbid looks to be a good source.  Thanks

Robert Warren

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #51 - Sep 15th, 2024 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
Grand slam wrote on Sep 14th, 2024 at 1:02am:
That’s nice wood Bob, but you’re right not to use it and save it for a low recoiling rifle. That blank of Black Walnut I got from Cecil Fredi in Vegas  that I used on my .22rf build is nice, and he’s a good guy to deal with.  Good wood is getting so expensive but I’ll bet your action will be worthy of a good stick.
Cheers Richard

Richard, everyone say Cecil is a good guy to deal with, and I don’t doubt it at all.  But, I must be contacting him incorrectly.  I’ve tried 3 time, by phone and through the website messaging, and never get a call back.  So, just gave up.
Bob
« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2024 at 10:29am by bobw »  

Robert Warren

IP Logged

idjeffp
Senior Forum Member

Reply #52 - Sep 19th, 2024 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
I took the plunge on one of these too Bob... my castings arrived yesterday! Spent a little time today doing a first pass clean up the receiver casting with the belt sander (ceramic belt) and files. 
Got some other projects to finish first before I can dig into these for good...
Kudos to Rodney on these beautiful castings!
Jeff P
« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2024 at 1:16pm by idjeffp »  

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #53 - Sep 19th, 2024 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
I have done a few from castings. Some 74,s a 77 and now a Borchardt. Three kits were from Rodney. I have a Ballard kit ordered now. Just don't know if I could do one of these. One day I will learn to post pictures. Keep us posted on your build.

JMH

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #54 - Sep 19th, 2024 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
Jeff, yours is a different version from mine.  Mine has the center breech block stop screw.  On your version, the back shelf on the breech block stops yours.  If you don’t already have it, the #3 book on British guns is a huge help.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

rodneys
Oldtimer

Reply #55 - Sep 19th, 2024 at 11:26pm
Print Post  
Bob , yes the 3 screw one was the first set of molds I made. I sold them to a fellow in Michigan in around 2002. Steve Bertram loaned me the 2 screw to copy and I made some more build ups to fix the issues with the old set. I have but together both and made them work but the 2 screw finishes up much better. Also I have all the screw holes marked on the castings and drawings of all the screws that I would with standard threads.Johnny I find them easier to assemble and finish than some of the ones you have done. And as Bob says the Jeffery book had good drawings and shows the different models.

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #56 - Sep 19th, 2024 at 11:48pm
Print Post  
Rodney,
Thanks for your vote of confidence Lol.. Just curious but do you have any more and how much are they. PM me if you like.

JMH

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #57 - Sep 20th, 2024 at 10:33am
Print Post  
For those thinking on building one of these, as said, the book is a big help.  Not a great book to just sit and read, like the Pope, Steven, Hepburn, Sharps type of books, but it explains the operations, with nice drawings, of the action in a way thats easy to understand.  
As of a couple months ago, Tom Rowe had the book on hand.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

idjeffp
Senior Forum Member

Reply #58 - Sep 20th, 2024 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
Thanks bobw for the comments / encouragement! 
Yes, It's a different version of the Jeffery Farquharson as you and rodneys noted. I do have Vol 1-6 of the Wal Winfer series on British Single Shot Rifles and will study from that and rodneys' notes. Wink
Cheers!
Jeff P

IP Logged

Grand slam
Senior Forum Member

Reply #59 - yesterday at 9:23am
Print Post  

Richard, everyone say Cecil is a good guy to deal with, and I don’t doubt it at all.  But, I must be contacting him incorrectly.  I’ve tried 3 time, by phone and through the website messaging, and never get a call back.  So, just gave up.
Bob [/quote]

He was always prompt with me. He’s probably getting old like me Bob.
Cheers Richard

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Send TopicPrint