Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Farquharson from Castings (Read 2678 times)
gwahir
Senior Forum Member

Ve gets too soon olt und
too late shmart.

Re: Farquharson from Castings
Reply #30 - Sep 1st, 2024 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

In my attempt to address this problem I removed the post and silver soldered the trigger and the safety extension together; no wobble. I replaced the post with one attached with four screws; bottom left hand corner. Farquharson may not approve, but I can live with it!
« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2024 at 8:55pm by gwahir »  

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Sep 1st, 2024 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
gwahir wrote on Sep 1st, 2024 at 8:33pm:
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

In my attempt to address this problem I removed the post and silver soldered the trigger and the safety extension together; no wobble. I replaced the post with one attached with four screws; bottom left hand corner. Farquharson may not approve, but I can live with it!

Definitely another way to go about this problem.   

In this picture, the trigger and extension are in, but still not functional.  After I took the picture I trimmed the screw and addressed any other interference with the trigger movement.  When I finished today, the trigger was working but still needs a little more movement in order to get  full engagement in the sear notch.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

gwahir
Senior Forum Member

Ve gets too soon olt und
too late shmart.

Reply #32 - Sep 5th, 2024 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
" The gun I really want to do will be from scratch and I will post the build here."

Bob, please, a small idea as to what you want as a scratch build. With your experience this could go in several different  wonderfully interesting directions. It is not fair to keep us waiting!

Bob [/quote]
« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2024 at 10:06pm by gwahir »  

IP Logged

fjrdoc
Participating Member

Reply #33 - Sep 6th, 2024 at 8:06am
Print Post  
I have always loved the look of a Farquharson and would love to own one. Unfortunately, the price of a finished rifle is prohibitive and I lack the skills or machinery to make my own  Cry.
I guess that I'll just have to enjoy watching your progress.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Sep 6th, 2024 at 11:43am
Print Post  
Everything except the breech block is in and functioning “somewhat” as it should.  It is quite obvious that there is lots to do yet, with most everything from now on being hand work using files for final fitting and tuning.

I should also say the springs (trigger and main) are not installed.  But they are fairly simple on this gun.  The are fasten to the rear of the lower tang and extend up through the trigger extension and tower.

I have the breech block made, and fitted to the frame, but I have questions about it, so it will wait for now.  These question are about the link pin hole and firing pin.  The link retracts the firing pin, so pin placement and timing are things I need to learn about and won’t go any further until I feel comfortable in my understanding of there operation.

gwahir, can’t say yet.  I don’t have the information I need to build with but I’m getting closer to having it.  I will say, IF this works out, there will be two guns that I plan on reproducing.  These are two different guns and the originals are very rare, we are talking only 2 or 3 of each were ever made.
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2024 at 11:50am by bobw »  

Robert Warren

IP Logged

idjeffp
Senior Forum Member

Reply #35 - Sep 6th, 2024 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
Nice work Bob!! Inspiring... thanks for sharing / posting.
Jeff P

IP Logged

Grand slam
Senior Forum Member

Reply #36 - Sep 6th, 2024 at 11:51pm
Print Post  
That is really nice work Bob! Looking forward to seeing this stocked, got a good stick of wood picked out yet?
Cheers Richard

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Sep 11th, 2024 at 11:57am
Print Post  
Richard,
Thanks.  I don’t have anything picked out for wood yet but have considered this piece.  Chunk of Claro I’ve had for a few years but, not sure how the layout will work for this gun because of the grip grain structure. I picked it up originally for a low recoil gun.  And, may not use it because, depending on how the gun builds, might go with a nice piece of English, probably would fit the British style better.

If anyone has a few pieces of figured English, or Turkish, in loose hands, I would be interested in looking at them.  I’d like one with the smokey looking grain with good grip structure.  I could probably use 3 pieces total with forearm wood.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

Crown-C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #38 - Sep 11th, 2024 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
Bobw, I really enjoy seeing your machine work and precise fitting of parts! 
That is a great piece of wood. I see what you mean about the grip area possibility being weak, but it’s to gorgeous not to use somewhere!

Richard
Crown-C Ranch in the Flinthills
NRA Life Member
ASSRA Member # 10366
Member & Founders Society, Cody Firearms Museum
Veteran

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #39 - Sep 11th, 2024 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
That wood would scare me big time. I have enough trouble with just straight grain walnut. I'll bet it is a nightmare with all that grain structure. Beautiful piece of wood.

JMH

IP Logged

LRF
Oldtimer

Reply #40 - Sep 12th, 2024 at 7:33am
Print Post  
Bob, Claro on an English classic? Not appropriate only english is appropriate, IMO. 
Always remember two things, "Good wood doesn't grow on trees" and it takes just as much work to make a stock from low cost wood as expensive, except with expensive you have something that will showcase your hard work and effort. Don't just use what you have laying around or can buy cheap. Seek out the right piece and remember it will always cost a little more then you want it to.
Personally, I would consider the offering of  Roger Vardy Stockwood company. Buy the piece that befits your incredible craftsmanship and artistry. 

IP Logged

SBertram

Reply #41 - Sep 12th, 2024 at 8:03am
Print Post  
I will agree, thin shell for that action, French, Turkish, etc. 

There does not seem to be as much good wood on the market as there was a few years ago. I have been chatting with a guy from Armenia about buying a wholesale lot of blanks. We will see how that plays out. I have purchased quite a few nice blanks from Hunter-bid auctions, dry wood, the seller is very knowledgeable and I find him easy to work with.

IP Logged

sharps4590

Reply #42 - Sep 12th, 2024 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
Amazing...beautifully amazing.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #43 - Sep 12th, 2024 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
I agree guys on using the thin shell walnut.  It’s just that if the action doesn’t end up at the level I want it at, I’m not sure I’d spend what I would need to, using English, finishing it up.  I agree Lynn as much work as it is stocking a gun, I hate using questionable or plain wood.  Just as well have something nice.

Steve, I spent a evening a few days ago talking with a guy in Turkey that had what looked like some very nice wood.  I’m leery of doing business with these folks, but this guy seems really legit and sincere.  Says he does business with retailers here in the US, selling wholesale to them.   But, the only way he can be paid is a form I’ve never heard of or wire transfer!  So, the brakes are on, for now anyway.

Thanks guys for some other wood options.  I’ll look into them.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

Crown-C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #44 - Sep 12th, 2024 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
Bob, about 11 years ago we went to Turkey on a two week business to business tour with a guided small group. One day we met with their board of directors the equivalent of our Chamber of Commerce, except there all businesses are required to join. I asked if they knew of anywhere I could buy blank gunstocks. The room went silent and maybe 15 seconds later they changed the subject! LoL

Richard
Crown-C Ranch in the Flinthills
NRA Life Member
ASSRA Member # 10366
Member & Founders Society, Cody Firearms Museum
Veteran

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint