Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Farquharson from Castings (Read 2690 times)
bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Farquharson from Castings
Reply #15 - Aug 29th, 2024 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
gwahir wrote on Aug 29th, 2024 at 11:58am:
I built 3 jefferies and one gibbs.  I just used that joint as cast. Good castings!

You must be luckier than me. Smiley

Robert Warren

IP Logged

gwahir
Senior Forum Member

Ve gets too soon olt und
too late shmart.

Reply #16 - Aug 30th, 2024 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
The engraving was still there! 
A lot of hand work to get rid of it!

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Aug 30th, 2024 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
This frame didn't have the engraving.  I would assume yours was from Rodney, as was this one.  I would also assume this is an older, or different, version since it came out of a gunsmiths estate.  Don't get me wrong this is a nice casting set but when working with them there is alway, for me anyway, corrections that need to be made.

Since there are no drawing with this set, I make notes as I go on my pictures and the pictures set in a file on my computer, where they are easy to find.  So, as I go I have made notes on what I feel may need work as the action gets to its final finish, much of this is for cosmetic reasons only.  Here are 3 pictures showing my thoughts.  No numbers as to how much the areas will need building up but just a reminder to look at it later.  You can see the area along the trigger guard at the rear of the frame is cast pretty rough and is a loose fit.  The lever sides are shown  as they were cast, and are around .040 loose, with side play, and this picture shows my intended fix.  Since I don't do this type of welding everything will be sent out, probably for laser/micro welding.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Aug 30th, 2024 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
The area you have indicated is going to be hard to build up due to all the existing features. Hopefully someone out there can do it.

JMH

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Aug 30th, 2024 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
The areas are very accessible.  The pictures shows all parts installed, the trigger assembly frame will be removed to the repair work.

Reply 15 shows the raw cast frame. and how it will look when sent off.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Aug 30th, 2024 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
Bob, 
A friend of old that has since passed, an Englishman, told me stories of when he worked for some of these rifle makers.  One of the stories he told me about filling gaps, especially on the bottom sections such as you pointed out were oftentimes peened over and only occasionally built up with oxy-act.  I could never get my head around peening enough to fill in the gaps.  I had seen some of his work and his joint lines were none existent until you looked close.  I'm still a piker in comparison to that gentleman but I know what the goals look like.  The laser welding may be an ideal place for this and I'll forgo the peening also.
Thanks for sharing this build.   
Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

chipmaker
Senior Forum Member

Reply #21 - Aug 30th, 2024 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
Bob,
During the Farquharson action building course at Trinidad, John Bull told us that in building the action, it should have either very tight or slightly loose tolerances, to prevent malfunction from dirt and other crud. 
I suppose this was especially true, if the action is to be used in Africa. 
I believe that he favored slightly loose tolerances overall but the trick is to decide which ones need to be tight and which ones can be loose.
Otto
« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2024 at 1:05pm by chipmaker »  

IP Logged

Grand slam
Senior Forum Member

Reply #22 - Aug 31st, 2024 at 6:41am
Print Post  
Bob, there is a fellow who did my screw holes in my winder action and I could not be mor satisfied. He welded right up to the edge of a hole and did not touch it. I’ll try to find his name. BTW how much do you ned to build up?
Yiour action is looking great
Cheers Richard

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Aug 31st, 2024 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
Greg , thought about peening but some these gaps are like the grand canyon, so decided to have them welded.  Work on the trigger, attaching the safety extension now.  Can’t be loose at all or the safety won’t be very safe.  I had it my mind it was going to be a tough deal but, so far, hasn’t been bad.  Although, f it ends up a but loose the peening will probably come into play.

Otto, interest comment by your instructor.  How loose and where is my question?   

Richard, The build up needed varies and I haven’t measured anything but I would guess from .030 up to .060.  I’ve had Tony South do work in the past and have a great deal of confidence in what he can do.  Thanks.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Sep 1st, 2024 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
Looks like this casting set was made 24 years ago according to the original invoice.

In the photo the trigger is to the far left of the frame.  The safety extension is directly above the frame.  The extension's tab needs to be installed into the rear of the trigger.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Sep 1st, 2024 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
The trigger slot is not machined for the extension tab and the tab is rough cast, as received, so it also needs cleaning up and centered.

The first picture is what is looks like after getting the two parts fitted together.  But, it's not pinned yet for a "no movement" fit.

Second and third pictures are top and bottom views where you can see how the two pieces go together.

The fourth is the assembly laid on top the frame showing the approximate position when installed.

This assembly needs to be apart for assembly/disassembly into the frame.  The reason is because the extension goes under and through the boss for the front tang screw.  This boss is just above the assembly.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

SBertram

Reply #26 - Sep 1st, 2024 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
chipmaker wrote on Aug 30th, 2024 at 8:05pm:
Bob,
During the Farquharson action building course at Trinidad, John Bull told us that in building the action, it should have either very tight or slightly loose tolerances, to prevent malfunction from dirt and other crud. 
I suppose this was especially true, if the action is to be used in Africa. 
I believe that he favored slightly loose tolerances overall but the trick is to decide which ones need to be tight and which ones can be loose.
Otto

Len Bull, I sure miss Len. If ever a character walked the earth, it was Len. Len came from a different era and PC he was not, but what a great guy, and fountain of knowledge. I took quite a few courses from Len, enjoyed them all and learned a ton.

On tolerances with a DG rifle, you want more clearance for head space, the breech block to mortise fit, the lever latch clasp etc than you would on a bench rest rifle. Africa is a hot dusty place where grime and grit can infiltrate every nook and cranny of your rifle, you do not want crud stopping up your action if you really need your rifle.   

IP Logged

SBertram

Reply #27 - Sep 1st, 2024 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
Looking good Bob...getting closer now. 

You might contact Glenn Fewless for the welding, world class SS guy and welder. Hard to find a nicer guy as well.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Sep 1st, 2024 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
There is a screw, that goes through both parts, in the tab area.  This screw needs to hold both pieces securely, so the extension does not move under the safety tab.  I did not talk about the safety tab before. This gun uses an upper tang sliding safety.  The safety button, with extention, can be seen it the first picture.   The tab, or extension, simply slides over the top of the trigger extension so that the trigger can not be pulled out of the sear.  

So the placement of the screw is important.  One must be able to remove it to dissemble the gun.  The oval hole in the center of trigger extention is the path the trigger spring and main spring go through when the gun is assembled. 

Holding this assembly together for drilling and tapping the hole is tough because of its odd shape.

This first picture is a crude setup for holding the assembly but it worked well.  Machining into a chunk of aluminum was quick and easy. 

Picture 2 and 3 are the top and bottom views after getting the screw in place.

Picture 4 prove with the screw in place, with a nice tight fit and rough shaping.

Next to get it working in the frame! Cheesy
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

idjeffp
Senior Forum Member

Reply #29 - Sep 1st, 2024 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
Nice work Bob!
Thanks for sharing again - especially love seeing the jigs & fixturing for work holding. 
Just heat-treated some Zischang dst trigger springs yesterday, time to go see if they "spring" now!
Cheers!
Jeff P

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint