Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Farquharson from Castings (Read 2644 times)
bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Farquharson from Castings
Aug 27th, 2024 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
I was kind of at a loss a couple weeks ago since I was finishing up different guns and had not got the information on a build I am planning.  So, I had this Farquharson casting set that originally came from Rodney Storie, although, I bought it second hand but unmolested. The action is the 3rd version style.

I just want to say that this is not an easy action to build.  There are some interesting machining operation that require special made cutters. 

Everything is coming along fairly well, so I thought I'd show where it's at, as of today.  A bit rough around the edges but you can get the idea. I did not use the breech block supplied and am making my own.  It's shown in the one picture and is fitted to the frame.

The lever will not latch yet because the lever is not in line with the trigger guard, it needs bending to bring it into the correct place, but I've been waiting to get further along in the building before doing this.

Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

Crown-C
Senior Forum Member

Re: Farquharson from Castings
Reply #1 - Aug 27th, 2024 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
Looking forward to your farquharson build Bob!

Richard
Crown-C Ranch in the Flinthills
NRA Life Member
ASSRA Member # 10366
Member & Founders Society, Cody Firearms Museum
Veteran

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Aug 27th, 2024 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
Always fun to follow along on your builds Bob! I'm sure this one will be as nice as the others!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

idjeffp
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Aug 27th, 2024 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
Interested in building one of these someday too... That's gonna be a beauty!
Cheers,
Jeff P

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Aug 27th, 2024 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
I’m not going through with the steps on this action like some of my others, been taking a few pictures, just not like I usually do.  As soon as I have the info for the build I really want to do, this one, along with a Sharps 77, will go on hold for an indefinite period of time.  The gun I really want to do will be from scratch and I will post the build here.

Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Aug 27th, 2024 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
In number 3 of the English gun books sold by Tom Row, they state that the area between the trigger guard front frame mountings was challenging to machine.  The arrows in the first picture shows this area. The second picture show the trigger guard and how it should fit.  At the time I thought, how hard can it really be!  For a real machinist probably not a problem, but for me another story!  It requires a .312 (5/15) radius and there is no way, that I knew, to get in there to machine for the clearance needed.  After talking with a couple other folks and not getting an answer here is what I came up with.

It would be interesting to hear from others how they did or would do this.
Keep in mind the .312 radius is centered on the screw hole.

I started by machine the area with a straight end mill, just to clean it up somewhat and help me get centered on the breech block mortice for the next operation.  This can also be seen in the first picture.  There was no way to machine the complete area needed this way or machine the radiuses for the clearance of the trigger guard. 

First, wanting to be very precise on the alignment between the holes for the screw, and the square of breech block mortice, I bored the two hole with a tiny boring bar. Each side is a different sizes.

Once the holes were completed I made an arbor that fit the two hole with just a slip fit.  The larger size was made longer so it went through to the far side of the frame.  I then made a .625 (5/8) blank with a hole fitted to the arbor.  This blank was made from O-1 tool steel.  See picture 3 of this assembly in the frame.

Picture 4 shows cutting the teeth into each side to the the blank.  I think by now you can see where this is going.

Once the teeth were done, the the cutter was heat treated.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Aug 27th, 2024 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
Continuing on.   

Once the action frame was aligned and locked down to the table of my mill and the cutting tool setup in the frame, it was very easy to finish each side just to the depth of what I had already machine.  The cutter also finished the front radius for the guards clearance.

Pictures 1 and 2 in this section, show how the cutter can move both directions.

Picture 3 shows the finished frame and radius.

Picture 4 shows the trigger guard fit into the area.
The guard still needs fitting to the breech block mortice and the rear frame stop points.

Like lots of things when building a gun, the tool took several hours to figure out and make.   

The actual use in cutting the frame took 5 minutes! Smiley
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

GunBum

Reply #7 - Aug 27th, 2024 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
Very nicely done.  I’m going to have to remember that trick with the cutter on the arbor.

IP Logged

Grand slam
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Aug 28th, 2024 at 12:18am
Print Post  
I’m onboard! Always liked Farquharson’s.
How did you hold that spotface cutter you made to the shaft Bob, a pin?
Cheers Richard

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Aug 28th, 2024 at 7:29am
Print Post  
You created what we called a "reverse counter bore" in the aircraft industry. They come in handy for just such an occasion.

JMH

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Aug 28th, 2024 at 11:05am
Print Post  
Richard, a flat on the shaft and set screw.

Thanks for the proper tool name JMH.

It cut so smooth I probably could have used a hand drill, but the mill is so much more secure and stable.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Aug 28th, 2024 at 11:50am
Print Post  
You can buy that tooling at your better tooling supply houses. I used one inside of bulkheads where the nut of a fastener must sit flat. The hole breaks out in a radius so we use that type of tool to create a flat for the nut to sit on. I think we got them from US Tools maybe? Been a long time so don't quote me. 

JMH

IP Logged

SBertram

Reply #12 - Aug 29th, 2024 at 9:19am
Print Post  
Bob,
      I had a CNC machinist tell me those cuts could not be done on a mill when he looked at them. I cut them exactly the way that you did, pretty sure that is how the Brits did them too. 

I have a few Farqs around and have worked on them a bunch, if I can help on any way, just let me know.
              Steve

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Aug 29th, 2024 at 11:16am
Print Post  
Steve,
I would agree the British did it the same.  One can tell by the shape of the original frame with the step just behind this area.  Unfortunately this frame will not have the step because the casting breech block hole had to be straightened up and I now machine everything from the center of that mortice.  In order to get this area centered I had to eliminate the step and will need some cosmetic welding to clean up the way it looks.

Check you pm’s please.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

gwahir
Senior Forum Member

Ve gets too soon olt und
too late shmart.

Reply #14 - Aug 29th, 2024 at 11:58am
Print Post  
I built 3 jefferies and one gibbs.  I just used that joint as cast. Good castings!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint