Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) reading wind (Read 1612 times)
Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Re: reading wind
Reply #15 - Aug 15th, 2024 at 12:19am
Print Post  
Correct - Corealis drift for right hand twist barrels.

Extremely few left hand twist barrels around.

Ron Smith will build you a left hand twist barrel (which Harry Pope appreciated) if you request it.

Left hand twist barrels torque into your chest/face (for right handed shooters) instead of away from it on the recoil.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2024 at 2:00pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

Lead Pot

Reply #16 - Aug 15th, 2024 at 11:25am
Print Post  
Cheesy My .50-2.5 Shiloh has a left hand twist. It sure gets my attention if I don't control it properly with a 110 gr powder load and a 700 gr bullet Cheesy Cheesy

Kurt

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Aug 15th, 2024 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
sissy Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley  art

IP Logged

Lead Pot

Reply #18 - Aug 15th, 2024 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
art_ruggiero wrote on Aug 15th, 2024 at 1:13pm:

LOL, well come on over  Angry  Grin  Grin

Kurt

IP Logged

Lead Pot

Reply #19 - Aug 18th, 2024 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
art_ruggiero wrote on Aug 15th, 2024 at 1:13pm:

Art, I think that you might right. 
I took Calamity,( I call this rifle Calamity because it's tough Cheesy, ) out this morning with some old rounds this morning and I think that you might be right. LOL This old 84 year shoulder just don't agree with the head space between the ears anymore Undecided
But after a few sighters from the 180 yards I had the target set up old Calamity still does pretty good.

IP Logged

hepburnman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #20 - Aug 18th, 2024 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
This is a nice chart for pure wind back at the shooter but when mirage at the target is mixed in it can be a totally different story!

I too try to shoot in the same wind conditions, or a calm, and try to then just deal with mirage at the target. A 3 and 9 oclock mirage is somewhat relatively straight forward to deal with but I have never been able to "see" mirage that is due to wind effects that is the results of other wind conditions, other than a "boil" condition which is either no wind, or a 12 or 6 oclock wind condition).   

Schuetzendave wrote on Aug 13th, 2024 at 8:32pm:
You need to understand how much to offset your point of aim to compensate for changes in wind direction and intensity changes.

Understanding the effects a bullet moves from changes in wind direction is essential and you need to understand the attached wind vector chart.

Practicing with a BR50 target enables you to develop; fine tune, your wind reading versus your sight offsetting skills.

Notice what happens if the tail or head wind switches a hair from the right side to the left side and the wind is no longer exactly 180 degrees or 360 degrees.

Some of my basic rules:

Pick the most consistent wind condition to sight in on that is left to right or right to left at 90 degrees or 270 degrees, or pick a head or tail wind that is consistently at 180 or 360 degrees.

Never sight your rifle for 45, 135, 225, or 315 degree winds.

Always shoot when the wind starts to drop, NEVER when it is starting to increase in velocity.

The closest wind flag is most meaningful as long as further flags show a consistent wind direction and velocity.

I used 7 wind flags in a perfect row that I could read instantly. If one flag deviated I would wait until the flags were telling me a similar story.

IP Logged

Lead Pot

Reply #21 - Aug 18th, 2024 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
That is a good chart. I had it pinned under the lid in my ammo box.

Lee Shaver once posted his wind chart that was compiled by his friend R Hoff I been using and it is a little confusing at first, but once you get is straight in your head it works very well if you know the wind velocity.

IP Logged

wildthing

Reply #22 - Aug 19th, 2024 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
Thanks for all the information . The wind charts are most definitely going to be printed out and carried with me.again thanks to all who posted. 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint