Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) reading wind (Read 1599 times)
wildthing

reading wind
Aug 12th, 2024 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
when shooting 200 yards with 22 rimfire at what point does the wind most affect your shots and why?

IP Logged

JHand
Participating Member

Re: reading wind
Reply #1 - Aug 12th, 2024 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
Well, there's a question that can stir the pot! There are 2 schools of thought.
1. Wind at the muzzle affects the bullet more because if it gets knocked slightly off line at the start, it will continue down that line and continue off target all the way to 200.
2. Wind at the target affects the bullet more. These people think the bullet is going to fast at the muzzle for the wind to affect it. The bullet will be going slowest right before impact, so the thought is that wind there will knock the bullet off point more.

It's not specific to 22lr, applies to modern ballistics too. I'm too new to this level of precision, so I just try to pay attention to the wind all the way down range. It will be interesting to hear others experience.

The guys winning the match that's local to me all are on #1, so I tend to listen to them  Cool

IP Logged

wildthing

Reply #2 - Aug 12th, 2024 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
This is what I want to hear. I was watching a bunch of guys shooting an informal match this weekend. the wind was about 10 mph comming from the WNW and gusting heavily.Trting to read the wind was a learning experiance. Most of the shooters were watching only the wind at the target and getting varying results.

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Aug 12th, 2024 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
I suggest reading up on BC, supersonic shock 
waves and the effect on wind drift.  And above all, apply some common logic...

IP Logged

4570mike
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Aug 12th, 2024 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
The wind that always gets me is from behind. At some ranges, it is difficult to detect and quantify.
Those little .22 pills can snatch a ride and hit (miss) high. Cry
Mike.

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Aug 13th, 2024 at 8:30am
Print Post  
zero wind is the best wind for me Smiley Smiley  art

IP Logged

steveu

Reply #6 - Aug 13th, 2024 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
First , you have to figure out what wind on the range is going to affect the bullet most.  At most ranges there are always something to block/re-direct the wind, ie: trees, vehicles, buildings, ect.  If the range has flags, you then need to figure out which ones are the ones to watch.  Some of them will lie to you.  Next is to watch the mirage.  I was taught to focus on the target, then back the focus off the target slightly until the you have the area in front of the target in focus.  This will give you direction and velocity of the wind to a point.  There are lots of good books on the subject of how to do this, Nancy Thomkins has some good info in her book.  IMHO, you need to go out and practice reading the wind.  Preferably with someone who can hold elevation and call their shots.

FWIW,
Steve

IP Logged

wildthing

Reply #7 - Aug 13th, 2024 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
Thats what I'm trying to find , figure out. At what distance does the wind most affect the shot.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Aug 13th, 2024 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
Of course, with BPCR the mid range height of the bullet on its way to 500 meters is something like 40 feet. Very few flags are on poles that high and there is nothing blocking the wind up there. You can imagine what it is for 800, 900 and 1000 yards.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Aug 13th, 2024 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
Having worked on Boats, Military Service and the Maritime industry my whole life had to be a close observer of the weather, primarily wind and its effects.

Best advise is become a informed observer.  Weather tools we have today are very sophisticated, no reason not to know what to expect match day. Forewarned be a careful observer on the firing line. Every range is different and effects on a bullet will vary with conditions as will observation methods.

With a plan in place fire each shot in the same condition. Wind generally fills changing direction and strength. Then it backs, changing direction as well as strength. Shoot the back off wait out the fill. 

I will often fire sighters in the most adverse condition. Then more most favorable. Always setting sights for the favorable. Best way to figure effect on flight, sighter target. Or in a match your spotters impact observation marked on a spotting board.

Boats 

« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2024 at 8:03pm by boats »  

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #10 - Aug 13th, 2024 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
You need to understand how much to offset your point of aim to compensate for changes in wind direction and intensity changes.

Understanding the effects a bullet moves from changes in wind direction is essential and you need to understand the attached wind vector chart.

Practicing with a BR50 target enables you to develop; fine tune, your wind reading versus your sight offsetting skills.

Notice what happens if the tail or head wind switches a hair from the right side to the left side and the wind is no longer exactly 180 degrees or 360 degrees.

Some of my basic rules:

Pick the most consistent wind condition to sight in on that is left to right or right to left at 90 degrees or 270 degrees, or pick a head or tail wind that is consistently at 180 or 360 degrees.

Never sight your rifle for 45, 135, 225, or 315 degree winds.

Always shoot when the wind starts to drop, NEVER when it is starting to increase in velocity.

The closest wind flag is most meaningful as long as further flags show a consistent wind direction and velocity.

I used 7 wind flags in a perfect row that I could read instantly. If one flag deviated I would wait until the flags were telling me a similar story.

« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2024 at 8:54pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Aug 13th, 2024 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
Agree with all SchuetzenDaves comments with modifications for Silhouette shooting.Personal wind flags not allowed most silhouette matches. You are stuck with range flags, Good general indicators, not  ideal. 

At the firing line look for a natural indicator, smoke from the muzzle, grass moving, ranges red firing line flag. Down range pre match I read mirage off the berms if possible it’s not always visible though. Dust from bullets impact on the berms often useful as is grass or vegetation moving All three can often be read entire range distance. Frequently conflicting timing more than direction. Again agree with Dave close reading is the best   

What ever I chose always prove it on target, sights set on the guns mechanical zero, spotter noting actual impact. Then settle on the indicator for that match and stick with it.   

Most important and again just like SchuetzenDave said always shoot the backs when it drops off. Never the fills when it’s increasing. Wait Wait Wait long as it takes then get the shot off fast & reload during the fills.

Boats

IP Logged

wildthing

Reply #12 - Aug 14th, 2024 at 7:10am
Print Post  
thanks for the information. I now have a little better understanding of what to look for on the range. the wind chart helps to understand what to look for depending on which direction it is blowing. I will pay more attention to what is happenig

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Aug 14th, 2024 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
Schuetzendave
Nice wind chart. Simple, easy to understand & good size to print out and paste to lid of shooting box.
Thanks

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

Smoke
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Aug 14th, 2024 at 11:19pm
Print Post  
That is a nice, clear chart.    

Am I correct saying that it only applies to rifles with right hand twist rifling?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint