Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Need some help identifying an Orginal sharps. (Read 372 times)
koger

Need some help identifying an Orginal sharps.
Aug 7th, 2024 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
An older guy stopped by my place today with a Orginal Sharps, 2 band Infantry trials rifle he said, from his limited research. It had been converted from caplock, its Seria #  is G35309 and it was supposdedly converted by Sprinfield Armory. I have not done any research as of yet, but thought some of you gents could help me and point me in the right direction. The wood was in extremely good condition, the metal all had a light patina on it. The bore was in very, very good condition with no rust or corrosion that I could see, the lands and grooves were bright and shiny aside from a little dust. It had a 35" barrel. The action still had the bar on top by the hammer from the conversion.was wanting to know its ball park value. He  All help appreciated.

YIM  
IP Logged

TomKlinger

Re: Need some help identifying an Orginal sharps.
Reply #1 - Aug 7th, 2024 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
Need a little more information, caliber, single or double set triggers, what sights etc….t if the owner is correct, and it is a model 1870 Sharps Springfield trials rifle, it’s very rare! Springfield made 1000 rifles on the ‘59 and ‘63 actions. Springfield aquired 300 new actions from Sharps which were the for runners for the new 1874 actions and made the last 300 rifles with the new design actions. I believe they were all 50/70 govt. If it looks like a 74 action, it’s most valuable. 

One sold at auction  on the 63 action for $2300

Tom Klinger
« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2024 at 3:11pm by TomKlinger »  

IP Logged

koger

Reply #2 - Aug 7th, 2024 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
It is a 50/70, sorry I forgot that It has a single trigger, with the lever latch behind the lever. I did not get to look at the rifle for long. It is the 63 action.

YIM  
IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Aug 8th, 2024 at 8:48am
Print Post  
It sounds like an 1870 Springfield trial rifle. They bought 3000 actions from Sharps and Springfield did the rest. They did 300 carbines so bought another 300 actions which were the 1874 action. These bring the big bucks. Yours is the 1st model which in good condition is worth around $1500. Like all antigues rarity and condition rule. A really exceptional one could bring nearly twice that.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint