Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Eye problems (Read 847 times)
Spud
Senior Forum Member

Eye problems
Aug 2nd, 2024 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
Hello all. For my 65th birthday an unwelcome surprise was a detached retina in my right eye Shocked. I was very lucky this happen the week before as I was out bush chasing deer. The op to repair it was eventful as the nerve blocker wore off part way thru and I felt like I was being interrogated by SMERSH! Anyway things are progressing well and my sight is returning....slowly. The doc knows I shoot and told me to avoid the heavy kickers for a while. My question is.... for how long? I'd be interested to hear from any of you who have had a similar experience. Thanks.
One eyed Spud Cool

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Eye problems
Reply #1 - Aug 2nd, 2024 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
I had what they call a “vitrectomy and buckle” where they removed the vitreous humor, tacked down the detached retina with lasers, put a “buckle” (a sort of band) around my eye to keep the shape, and filled it with gas to keep the retina pressed against the back of my eye.

That was a mean, painful recovery.  Had to keep facedown, lying, sitting or walking, for a week or so, couldn’t travel over mountains or by air because the gas would expand and the pressure would damage the retina, and it seemed to go on hurting for months.

But at the end I asked the eye doctor who’d done the surgery about things like recoil, and he said the repair was like a bone broken, reset and healed, or a scar after an injury, where the repaired part is stronger at the former break than it was originally.  He said he’d done a lot of trap and skeet shooters, who’d gone back to their sport with no problems.  And I’ve had no further detachment problems (knock on wood) since.

The buckle was supposed to stay there forever, but it got exposed and another guy removed it.  Oddly, that recovery was very quick and relatively painless.

Hope this helps.

IP Logged

Lead Pot

Reply #2 - Aug 3rd, 2024 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
I have this same problem also and I go in two weeks for the surgery. The Doc. said it was from the heavy recoil and high temperature I was shooting the .44-90 and .45-100 at the Quigley doing the damage in both eyes.
I have two black spots in the center vision in both eyes bad enough that I cant see the skylight in the camper in early dim morning light.
Looking through a scope I can see through the spot when the sun is out, over cast days it get to be a problem.

Kurt

IP Logged

Spud
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Aug 4th, 2024 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
Thanks for those replies & info. BR, I went thru the same process during recovery and lying facedown for a week after surgery was probably the hardest part. Currently seeing two distinct images & that pesky gas bubble so have taken to wearing an eye patch until things settle down. At least the pirate look keeps the grandkids amused Smiley
Good luck Kurt. I had just loaded up some .40/90 SS rounds for testing prior to my eye event so I'll put that on a backburner until next year.

Look after your eyes guys.....you only get one set of MK1 eyeballs.
One-eyed Spud Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint