Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Stevens 32-40 light load (Read 1100 times)
bullshop

Stevens 32-40 light load
Jul 19th, 2024 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
I seem to have a Stevens 32-40 rifle that is rather unique in its acceptance of loads.  It has an aversion for bullets in the 200 grain weight range obstinately refusing to shoot them accurately.

It seems to do its best with bullets in the 160 to 180 grain range and even seems to do best with the lighter end of those weights.

When I started with this rifle I tried the traditional target loads with powders like 4227 which seemed to be the most recommended powder for traditional target loads.  Sadly and to my surprise and disappointment my rifle turned its nose up at 4227 and similar burn rates.
Another issue with my rifle was bullet alloy hardness. It seems the most recommended alloy is 20/1 lead to tin at BHN-10 but again this rifle had a mind of its own and started to show a preference for harder alloy at BHN-15.
It was not until just recently that I decided to go in a different direction in search of powders so started trying progressively faster burn rates until I get to some of the very fastest on the burn rate chart. 
This rifle showed a distinct liking for What used to be           
IMR Hi-score  700X but is now sold under the Hodgdon label. With that very fast powder it perked right up and started shooting very respectable groups with the Saeco 170gn tapered design in fixed ammo seated with two lube grooves out of the case.
The rifle likes 700X but I do not because it binds in my RCBS powder measurer really bad.  A charge weight of 6.8 grain of 700 X got my attention so I began to look at other powders with similar burn rate that may meter more smoothly from my powder drop.
Two other powders that shot well are Alliant American Select at 5.8 grain and what I think may become my favorite Winchester WST at 4.7 grain.  The Winchester powder meters like the hopper is empty with no binding what so ever.  The American Select has an occasional hiccup but no real binding as with the 700 X.
This rifle previously gave me so much grief trying to find an acceptably accurate load that I had considered a new barrel or a re-bore because even though at best its condition is " not too bad "  I still felt that it should still shoot reasonable well for a well worn old original rifle but to that end success eluded me.

Now that the rifle has spoken and I am finally listening I am quite pleased with our merging of minds to come to an acceptable level of performance to our mutual liking. 
Lesson learned, didn't need a new barrel just needed to listen to DR. Gun   
« Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2024 at 8:48pm by bullshop »  

IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Re: Stevens 32-40 light load
Reply #1 - Jul 19th, 2024 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
Your rifle is trying to tell you to do the right thing and use BP in it, you will feel much better about yourself if you do.
Mike.

IP Logged

bullshop

Reply #2 - Jul 19th, 2024 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
That is an interesting idea Mike.  Sounds like maybe you have had a visit with DR. Gun too.

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jul 19th, 2024 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
If you decide to try black powder, I suggest you also consider duplex loading. The .32-40 really comes alive with 3-4 gr of IMR4227 or SR4759 priming charge and the rest of the case filled with black (2F, 1.5F or 1F) drop-tubed to just below the case mouth and a card wad on top that is flush with case mouth. With the right lube, you might even be able to shoot dirty. Large pistol primers seem to give the most consistent results but LR primers work also.
From the mid 1890s through the end of the big Schuetzenfests, the .32-40 and .33s shooting duplex or semi-smokeless (but that's a whole 'nuther story) powder charges dominated the Schuetzen tournaments.
I've done a lot of load testing with black and duplex in .32-40 and it's been a very rewarding experience.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

bullshop

Reply #4 - Jul 20th, 2024 at 12:46am
Print Post  
I think one reason I was having trouble finding good accuracy is that my original bore is less than perfect. It shows considerable ware and has a short rough section on one side about four inches ahead of the chamber. I believe that to be why it does better with harder alloy.
For the same reason the less than perfect bore I hesitate to use black powder because unless I wipe between shots it will exaggerate that problem.  I am kind of afraid that with so much wiping it will accelerate bore ware.
With these extremely light loads it is shooting good to 100 yards and for this rifle is all I will ask of it. Its just for fun shooting and with these loads it will shoot continuously all day long without wiping and consistently crowd most of its shot into about an inch at 100 yards.  I have noticed how critical the rest becomes with such a low velocity load. Any change in the location of where the barrel is rested in its length as well as support of the butt shows up on target.   
This rifle will never be a competition rifle but it is still fun to shoot it as it was originally made and have it shoot reasonably well for someone not having high expectations.  I like it too with the light loads because our nearest neighbors maybe a little over a quarter mile away  may not even hear it.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - Jul 20th, 2024 at 10:30am
Print Post  
I've never had much luck getting tight groups using BP in any of my .32-40's. I think your Stevens likes lighter bullets because it's a slower twist than many modern later guns used. 
I've had good luck using 2400 in mine and pressures aren't bad if you keep loads around 1200-1350 fps.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

bullshop

Reply #6 - Jul 20th, 2024 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
Marlinguy
That sounds like very good advice to me.  For these vintage BP rifles and cartridges 1300 fps seems like magic.

IP Logged

bullshop

Reply #7 - Jul 20th, 2024 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
I did try some 2400 today after it was suggested and found it to shoot equally as well as the other powders mentioned. 
My rifle seemingly being true to form seemed to do its best with pressures and velocity slightly reduced from what according to what data I can find is about normal or standard with 2400 and all the other powders I am having success with.
Today shooting the 170 grain Saeco bullet at .321" and BHN-15  with 2400 my rifle seemed to do best with a charge of 8.5 grain.
This rifle just seems to prefer pressures that are slightly under what I will call normal. That and velocities that run right at about the speed of sound or slightly subsonic well below that magic 1300 fps that seems to work so well for most BPC rifles.
I dont really care that its acting like a bastard child refusing to be normal. What I do care about is that we seem to have found common ground that is acceptable to both of us myself and Dr. Gun.

IP Logged

bullshop

Reply #8 - Jul 21st, 2024 at 9:00pm
Print Post  

I may have found " THE LOAD " for the 32-40 today. I tweaked a couple things with the 8.5gn 2400 load. One was to drop lube from three grooves to two of the five on that Saeco bullet. Another slight change was to seat the bullet one drive band farther out and add a firm crimp at the middle lube groove. I also went to fired but unsized cases and upped the bullet diameter from .321" to .323". The last groups fired for the day today before it got just too hot out were maybe the best the rifle has ever done for me.
Oh yea and another thing the bullets I thought were BHN-15 tested today at BHN-22. They tested BHN-15 about 24 hours after casting and quench cooling them but now about a week later they are testing BHN-22. The same alloy air cooled tested about BHN-9.5

IP Logged

bullshop

Reply #9 - Jul 31st, 2024 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
Last Saturday at a gun show in Butte I picked up a 4 pound jug of Hodgdons Lil-Gun powder so decided to try that in the 32-40. According to the powder burn rate chart it is a few places slower than the 2400 that shot so well with an 8.5gn charge with the Saeco 170 grain bullet.
I went from a starting charge of Lil-Gun of 9.7 grain then 10 grain then down to 9 grain which seemed to shoot best.
What I discovered with this powder is that it will shoot good but in order to keep shooting good the rifle had to be cleaned after not more than 10 shots and I feel that cleaning after every five shot group may be best.
The other powders mentioned in this thread 2400, Win WST, and Hodgdons 700-X did not exhibit that issue.  With those three powders I had over 70 rounds through the barrel without cleaning and accuracy was stable.
With the Lil-Gun powder after 10 shots it would start throwing a wild shot in every group and the more shots through the barrel without cleaning the worse it got.
The first cleaning patch through the barrel even after 10 shots was hard to push through but not so with the other powders. Maybe more lube or a different lube is required with this powder I dont know but since 2400 shoots so good I think I will quit trying Lil-Gun in the 32-40.
It did work good in two other cartridges I tried it in the 50-70 and the 40-90 BN both in Sharps rifles.  The 50-90 liked 28.5 grain with the Lyman # 515141 cast in pure lead and the 40-90 BN turned in some impressive results with 35 grain and a 360 grain Ballard paper patch bullet at BHN-8. The 40-90 load will be a good hunting load having all the power needed for deer or elk giving excellent 100 yard accuracy and penetrating well at 100 yards with the very soft alloy rolling back into a ball and retaining most of its weight.  I need to try that one out to about 300 yards and get sight settings charted for 25 yard intervals from 100 to 300 yards.  Time to get busy with that !

IP Logged

JHand
Participating Member

Reply #10 - Aug 1st, 2024 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
It looks like your rifle and mine may like similar loads. I have a 7 groove 32-40 Darr with a 1:16 twist. The bullets in the 200gr range are just tipping a hair when they go through paper at 200. I have been using a flat nose Paul Jones 180 with ramshot enforcer (around 12.2 GR) with great success. Enforcer seems to be right at the 2400 burn rate, might be interesting to try

IP Logged

bullshop

Reply #11 - Aug 1st, 2024 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
I have some of the Ramshot Enforcer powder but have never tried it in the 32-40.  Reason is that being such a fine grain ball powder I thought it might leave too much empty space in the case.
Also since it is close in burn rate to H-110 also a fine ball powder I thought but dont know why that it might act like H-110.
In my experience with H-110 I have found it to be very inflexible performing well at a narrow pressure window starting somewhere around 35,000 psi.  H-110 for me has always been a poor performer when used at black powder pressures or slightly above.

IP Logged

JHand
Participating Member

Reply #12 - Aug 1st, 2024 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
I have not chronoed it yet to see what kind of spread I am getting, but this weekend we had our 100yd match and had a score for group. We did 2 - 5 shot groups and I managed a .696 and .670. I started testing at 12 GR and worked my way up to somewhere around 12.5 for my sweet spot. No wad, but I am tempted to try one.

No complaints yet, too damn bad I can't get that group in the 25 ring!

IP Logged

bullshop

Reply #13 - Aug 1st, 2024 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
"" too damn bad I can't get that group in the 25 ring!""

Oh I think you will !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint