Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Stevens Tip-Up (Read 500 times)
jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Stevens Tip-Up
Jul 16th, 2024 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
I recently bought an old Stevens tip-up in .38 RF as a project.  It's from the 1870 to 1886 era and was called the No.5 Expert.  From internet info, it seems that there were 3 or 4 different case lengths and the chamber cast indicates this one is 1.090 in length.  It's very close to the Win 38 Spl but a bit shorter AND the rim diameter is about .530" instead of .433".  I've not found any cartridge with a rim that large.  Anyone have any info or ideas?

Thanks, 
   Joe

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Re: Stevens Tip-Up
Reply #1 - Jul 16th, 2024 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
Do the frame and bbl SN# match? 
What is the groove diameter.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jul 16th, 2024 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
I’m not sure what you are wanting to do, but I have 3-38 rimfire guns.  I have been using the 38 special brass to make the RF brass, using Steve Blancard’s method.  Accuracy is not that great, but fun to shoot.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #3 - Jul 16th, 2024 at 11:25pm
Print Post  
SB, the frame and barrel numbers do match.  The bore slugged at .363 and the groove at .369.

Bob, I think it will get a liner eventually, but I would like to shoot it in it's original configuration first.  The bore is pretty rough.  I chambered a 38 Spl and the barrel wouldn't completely close as the rim was too thick, but it did extract.
My notes say the original rim thickness was .051.  Does that sound right?

Thanks for the responses guys!
Regards,
Joe

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jul 17th, 2024 at 10:41am
Print Post  
The brass rims worked in all 3 guns, as is, so never measured them.  All the brass needed shorting in order to chamber.  I show .876 for my Ball and williams Ballard but that was with a 125 grain heeled bullet.  I think I had to shorten them a little more when I went to 150 grain.  The 150 bullets grouped much better than the 125’s.  I also have a #2 rolling block and a Wesson two trigger.  One of them works with the same load but the other needs more brass shortening to chamber.  I have a friend that picks up brass at our county range.  He has 100’s of 38 specials so my brass is cheap (free).  I modified 75 to the RF….it’s lots of work!  Steve has really good information in videos but if you need help let me know.  I’ve been loading with 3.6 to 4.0 grains of Unique.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

wesg
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Jul 19th, 2024 at 4:11am
Print Post  
Makes me happy my pretty decent #7 is 22 RF. Liner needed ... maybe better sights.

Weird geometry ... awkward ... until you look at them as offhand rifles ...

And they ... just work...

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jul 19th, 2024 at 6:39am
Print Post  
I had one in 22rf that was a 32rf. Had always wanted to do a tentioned liner so I purchased a Lothar Walther 22 barrel from someone here turned it to .500 dia. then drill/reamed the barrel for liner. Threaded the muzzle end fitted everything together with a new extractor and it was done. Shot rather well with most ammo but was partial to Wolf match. I needed funds for another project so I sold it at a local gun show. I would do another if I could find another candidate that was suitable. I would never change an original with a good barrel but the one I had was terrible.

JMH

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jul 19th, 2024 at 10:57am
Print Post  
I have an early Tip up, serial number is in the 7000 range if I remember right. 

As far as the chamber goes, it matches nothing I can find. The bore measurements only confuse the issue and the condition of the bore looked like a sewer pipe still in use.

I think it was a 32 something, but the bore has a groove around .307”. Chamber diameter is .348ish, I use 32-20 brass cut off at .600”. It was converted from rim to center fire, doubt it left the factory as a convertible.

Strangest part is that it’s a five groove left hand twist.

After a lot of cleaning it will hold a sun 3” group at 50 yards. Considering the sights, front blade, and the fact a 3” dot is the minimum I can see at that distance, I’m pretty happy to be able to hit a swinger consistently.

All that to say, give it a chance in its current state. Probably will never be a match winner no matter how much work you put into it, but it might just be pretty fun to shoot the way it is.

Before and after a running the bore.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint