Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 38-40 heburn chambers (Read 402 times)
szot

38-40 heburn chambers
Jul 15th, 2024 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
i have 38-40 hepburn  and the case that chambers has id of 365 the barrel slugs 377 thers no way they will go together have noticed antique ammo was paper patched were those bullets reduced to fit case or must these be breech seated any help welcome

IP Logged

jimmy
Senior Forum Member

Now available in Oklahoma.

Re: 38-40 heburn chambers
Reply #1 - Jul 15th, 2024 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
I have an old thread on here in the reloading section on this caliber. 

You are correct on needing a paper patch bullet. Buffalo Arms sold the soft lead bullets and patching paper. You end up with a bore size bullet in the case that bumps up to groove diameter when fired. Search for paper patching here or on the castboolits.gunloads.com website. 

Old post (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

szot

Reply #2 - Jul 15th, 2024 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
i understand the paper but if the total is more than 365 it plain will not chamber and i cant see how a bullet is going to expand .012 were all of those chambers made that much smaller than barrel bore my sharps and rollingblock dont shoot well unless the bullet is .001 at least bigger than bore

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Jul 15th, 2024 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
szot wrote on Jul 15th, 2024 at 8:16pm:
i understand the paper but if the total is more than 365 it plain will not chamber and i cant see how a bullet is going to expand .012 were all of those chambers made that much smaller than barrel bore my sharps and rollingblock dont shoot well unless the bullet is .001 at least bigger than bore

They wont expand that much, but they don't need to either. The paper patch will simply be pushed deeper into the grooves as the soft lead bullet expands, and being paper patched there wont be any leading if it doesn't fit as tight as a grease groove bullet.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint