Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Gringo Doctor a Good Read (Read 346 times)
burntwater
Senior Forum Member

Gringo Doctor a Good Read
Jul 13th, 2024 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
For years I’ve been trying to get my hands on a limited print book, ‘ Gringo Doctor ‘  by I.J.Bush. He was Bill Jordan’s Grandfather. This book was mentioned in Jordan’s  book ‘ No Second Place Winner ‘ and I tagged it as a must about ten years ago. It’s a remarkable tale about a surgeon who traveled and practiced along the Wild West Texas border and into Mexico. This was a time of ‘ No Law West of the Pecos ‘ and he lived and worked with some wild tough characters. Besides surgery and having to ride horseback to remote patients 40-80 miles through some interesting country he was also a bit of a archeologist and explorer dealing with the Indian tribes and remote settlements and mining camps deep in the rugged no-man’s land of the Sierra Madres of Sonora and Chihuahua. When the big Mexicans Revolution ignited in the early 1900’s the good doctor cut tracks with Pancho Villa and became 
‘ Surgeon General of the Insurrecto Army  ‘ . Wow what a title what a tale.

After about ten years of hoping to find a volume within financial reach I saw an offering on Abe Books for around $40.00 shipped. Original printings running $400 to $500 so I bit but didn’t follow the fine print close enough. It was three months delivery, no tracking, no nothing. It just showed up one day. But it’s a pretty nice leather bond book from some obscure bindery in Delhi, India. It’s a great read so if you’re like me interested in that period of the West and the Mexican border region you’ll love it

Rick ( always two clicks off the topic ) 

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Gringo Doctor a Good Read
Reply #1 - Jul 14th, 2024 at 2:00am
Print Post  
Rick,

It's still avaiable through Abe Books.  Based on your recommendation I just ordered one for $36.85 total with an estimated delivery date of Sept. 11.

BTW, I just finished reading a book I highly recommend titled "My 60 Years on the Plains" by William Thomas Hamilton.  The 224 page book is available from several sources including Amazon for around $5 in paperback or less than $15 in hardcover.  Here's a few comments about the book:

He spent his whole life, from the time he was twenty through to his last years, on the plains, and was an authority on Indian life and customs.

Trapping, Trading, and Indian Fighting - It's the classic memoir from a frontiersman that gives valuable insight into life in the far west among outlaws, Native Americans, hunters and trappers.

“In the death of "Uncle Billy" Hamilton the United States loses its greatest Indian fighter and most skillful Indian sign talker and sign reader that this country ever produced.” Butte Daily Post

William Thomas Hamilton, also known as Wildcat Bill, was an English-born American frontiersman and author. His book was first published in 1905 and he passed away in 1908.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jul 14th, 2024 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
Wayne, your thought prompted me to recall what I thought was a good read by the single shot rifle author Kelver, 15 years on the western frontier.

IP Logged

db
Participating Member

Reply #3 - Today at 7:12pm
Print Post  
I went searching for the book and it came up on the Internet Archive. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint