Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) USPS (Read 1703 times)
dave j
Participating Member

USPS
Jul 8th, 2024 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
i discovered a new way to ship stuff today

i bought an item from someone here and they paid $12 to send it to me. circumstances arose where i had to forward it to another member here. when i took it to the post office i was told it would be $14 to $16 depending on how fast it went. this is the same package i received with no change in weight or size. the clerk told me it would be $10.60 in a flat rate envelope.
i found it would be $10.60 for anything you can fit in the envelope, up to 75 pounds. good to know even if it did take 78 years to learn. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Re: USPS
Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2024 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
Flat rate USPS boxes are one of the best deals out there. They all have varying degrees of insurance included. I think they just bumped the MFRB up to $100 insurance included.

IP Logged

4570mike
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Jul 8th, 2024 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
Might seem like over-kill, but when sending a payment for something of significance I send it in a small flat rate box. Might be a dollar more than the envelope, but they usually arrive on time or a day earlier and have tracking.
Never had one get lost or late.
Maybe the boxes can’t “slip though the cracks”  Shocked

IP Logged

Timetripper

Reply #3 - Jul 8th, 2024 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
And they are free too! you only pay when you ship.

John

IP Logged

ADK22
Participating Member

Reply #4 - Jul 8th, 2024 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
I always ship payment or product priority so I can track. Although the post office has managed to even lose priority mail on me in the past.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jul 8th, 2024 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
Our local post office says they can't stock the small flat rate tyvek padded envelopes, but tey had customers ordering  them for free and giving a few to the clerk.  I ordered 20 online.  A better solution for most items is to sign up for a service like Pirate Ship.  You can choose between USPS and UPS.  MUCH cheaper for shipping rifles.  The newer USPS ground advantage service is often cheaper than flat rate.

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

db
Participating Member

Reply #6 - Jul 8th, 2024 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
I have had better luck recently with the USPS over FedEx and UPS.  The few times I have had issues, the local post master has been able to rectify the situation.   

I have not had much luck getting to talk with a person at FedEx and when I finally get a person they do not show much interest in helping.

IP Logged

wesg
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Jul 8th, 2024 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
Shipped several rifles thru USPS. 'I think I'm supposed to inform you it's a firearm?' They just shrug. Far less hassle. And cheaper than UPS. Nothing against UPS, they're great. But a private company that has to be concerned about liability. For sending a box. Sad.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #8 - Jul 8th, 2024 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
Don't even get me started on how bad USPS is! Not just at taking way too long to ship, or sending things back and forth across the country! But having guns stolen, and then USPS refusing to pay the insurance until I got my congressman's office involved and then they finally paid up.
None of the big three are good, but I'd rather use UPS through Pirate Ship than USPS. I hate FedEx even more than USPS!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

GunBum

Reply #9 - Jul 8th, 2024 at 10:27pm
Print Post  
My mail carrier hates when I get flat rate boxes.  A medium flat rate box full of lead is almost impossible for her to move.  Grin

You have to work they system and use whichever of the big three gives the best option.

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jul 9th, 2024 at 12:32am
Print Post  
I've been using XPS Ship for many years & have shipped well over 2000 packages (no firearms) & have been very pleased with their prices & service.  There's no monthly or annual fee.

I was not aware of Pirate Ship & just now checked them out & signed up for an account.  A quick comparison indicates Pirate Ship may be a tad cheaper than XPS Ship.  We'll see.

BTW, contrary to some of the comments here on FedEx, I've exclusively used them for 20 years or so to ship all my firearms - to date just over 400, mostly rifles & some pistols.  Prior to exclusively using FedEx I had several damage claims with UPS & USPS. 

At one time I was using UPS & USPS Register Mail but have switched to FedEx based on shipping fees and on the number of damage claims I’ve had to deal with.  Each shipper has specific requirements when shipping a firearm.  USPS will ship rifles, but not handguns unless you have a Federal Firearms License and fill out the required form.  USPS shipping fees will generally be higher than FedEx or UPS, especially when the item is insured.

Depending on your choice of carriers, if a firearm is lost, stolen or damaged in transit the claim settlement process can be long and somewhat complicated.  From experience I can confirm that all three carriers, especially USPS, can be hard to deal with if an item is damaged.  If the rifle is damaged but the outer shipping box is not you’ll have an extremely hard time convincing the carrier to pay a settlement.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #11 - Jul 9th, 2024 at 1:09am
Print Post  
As bpjack pointed out Pirate Ship is the way to go. Thanks GT for turning me onto it.

It's an easy, free download, and simple enough that even I can do it.

A USPS small flat rate box is $10.60. Using Pirate Ship the same USPS small flat rate box is $8.71.

Not a huge savings, but it adds up over time. And, you print the label and just drop off the package at the post office. 

If you need to use UPS the rates are even discounted cheaper.

Even a caveman do it. Cool

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

oughtsix
Global Moderator
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #12 - Jul 9th, 2024 at 7:22am
Print Post  
This Topic was moved here from For Sale/Trade [move by] oughtsix.

Life Member ASSRA, OGCA &  TSGC
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters........ Frank Lloyd Wright

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #13 - Jul 9th, 2024 at 11:05am
Print Post  
I sent a heavy box of loaded .40-65 ammo from West Coast to a friend in New Jersey using Pirate Ship via UPS. I checked with UPS first and cost was $45 with insurance. My cost through Pirate Ship was under $18 and another $1.80 to Pirate Ship.
No question that Pirate Ship was a huge savings.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jul 9th, 2024 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
Ijust recently shipped a rifle to North Dakota.  Here are the charges through Pirate Ship.

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint