Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Sharps receiver castings? (Read 984 times)
thatoneguy82

Sharps receiver castings?
Jun 30th, 2024 at 9:36am
Print Post  
I came across a set of Sharps receiver castings some time back and was curious if anyone has a ball park estimate on how long ut takes to complete an action? So far the thing hurting my head is how to get the receiver chilucked up in the lathe to face off the front and thread for the barrel.

IP Logged

Ranch13
Oldtimer

Re: Sharps receiver castings?
Reply #1 - Jun 30th, 2024 at 9:41am
Print Post  
You might think about just buying the action in the white from C Sharps, then once you have completed the rifle, determine if you're really wanting to go the full route with a casting.

IP Logged

kensmachine
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Jun 30th, 2024 at 9:56am
Print Post  
Look up GT in  gunsmithing he has lots of threads on biulding actions

IP Logged

curdog

Reply #3 - Jun 30th, 2024 at 10:57am
Print Post  
The time taken to complete a task such as this, depends entirely upon the skill level and experience of the individual workman.
Any answers you hear as to a time frame will come from the perspective of that particular person providing the answer.
What seems straightforward to one, may be difficult for another, depending on the above.

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jun 30th, 2024 at 11:59am
Print Post  
I have done three 74's two 77's and now working on a Borchardt. You will need a mill and a lathe and possibly a surface grinder. Some good hand tools and a lot of patience. I didn't really keep up with how long it took to do any of them so I can't help with that. I will say there is a great deal of satisfaction in the completion of one that functions well and gives good service. After completing the action then there is barreling and install of wood then finishing everything out. If you decide to do one there is a lot of experience here and people are willing to share.

JMH

IP Logged

thatoneguy82

Reply #5 - Jun 30th, 2024 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
Thanks all, I think you convinced me it's not a project for me, at least for now. Building one from the raw sounds like a lot of fun but I don't have a mill or access to one, and definitely don't have the free time to devote to such a project.

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jul 1st, 2024 at 9:45am
Print Post  
guy82,

This will probably bore you to death but here is the link for one of the Sharps builds I did.  The browsed through it again and some of my wanderings are almost embarrassing.  The rifle is only slightly further along than the very last photo, sitting in one of the safes begging to be taken to the range again, ammo is loaded and ready for that day...
In the post includes pics of the fixture I made for facing and threading these actions.  A few others here on this forum have made this design and done a few actions.  I use mine frequently and tend to start several of these action castings in a given year...

How long for a build start to finish? It depends... a Sharps has a lot of parts and pieces to fit and come together.  This particular one, I'm nearing 350 hours. Another slightly different version, has almost 200 in it and it's probably 250 hours from being how I see it as finished.  (that's finished, not operational and used in a match of some sort...  Smiley
I shot one of my builds yesterday in a match, it performed quite well and now almost has 100 rounds shot through it.  Nowhere near finished with it and I got a few laughs and jousts until the last shots were fired...

My recommendation, is to start one if you have some of the skill sets for machining.  I've been a machinist for 4 and 1/2 decades  and these action projects have been my hobby for 3/4 of this time.  Don't hurry any part of it, work a little, study a lot, research more, you'll learn a lot and broaden your horizons.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

thatoneguy82

Reply #7 - Jul 10th, 2024 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
Thanks GT, that looks like quite the shop you have there, thanks for sharing, that does bring a number of aspects of the project into focus. I've been govin thought lately to how to chuck the receiver up in the lathe for boaring and threading.

IP Logged

Amoretti

Reply #8 - Jul 11th, 2024 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
Just a thought -you can bore and thread the receiver in the mill holding it perfectly vertical with an angle plate.  You don't have to make an elaborate fixture to hold it in the lathe like Greg does though his method is probably superior.

IP Logged

KFW
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Jul 11th, 2024 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
The two 1874 castings sets I built where bored and threaded in my Bridgeport vertical mill mainly because my lathe size would have been marginal in size and mass. The lathe fixture would allow square or acme threads to be cut versus using a tap.
kw

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jul 11th, 2024 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
When I was teaching the gun building class, none of my students cared to try setting their action up in my fixtures - so they bored and tapped them in the mill.  Here's creative thinking for a larger tap handle, a double crescent and a tap guide...

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jul 11th, 2024 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
This is how all of mine were done except one 74. I wanted the original square thread so I sent it to John King and he did it for me. I am pretty sure he did it on the lathe. He told me he would never do another so don't even ask lol... Said set up time was too long for the fee charged.

JMH

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint