Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Tommy Mason on Sight Aperatures - a question (Read 1701 times)
Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Re: Tommy Mason on Sight Aperatures - a question
Reply #15 - Jul 9th, 2024 at 10:51am
Print Post  
Do not confuse the different procedures:

1. to balance the light your eye receives through the front and back iron sights (selection of front aperture size and balancing with rear iris or Hadley disk to allow maximum light for your eye without glare on your sights)
2. to focus the sharpness of focus of the front sight versus the target  (smaller aperture sharpens target versus larger aperture sharpens front sight) - can further refine focus with an adjustable diopter where allowed
3. to adjust the point of aim in elevation due to change in point of aim due to change in light reflection due to changes in light intensity - 1/8 MOA adjustments of your iron sights provide better precision but 1/2 MOA adjustments with BP Vernier sights can result in a coarser improved accuracy to correct for change in point of aim from light intensity changes

Unfortunately many shooters do not know how to tune their iron sights to obtain the greatest acuity and precision.
« Last Edit: Jul 9th, 2024 at 10:59am by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Jul 9th, 2024 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
It amazes me how many shooters don’t really know how to adjust the sights at all. Our 200 yard offhand gong SShot matches are shot 6 man squad. 3 shooting 2 on spotting scopes marking strikes with individuals colored push pins 3rd running the  score card.  Then repaint and switch off, spotting board has a perfect record of your 10 shots and the other two as well.

Will often see a shooter miss or get hits on the edge same spot high or low and never make a correction or worse never look at the spotting board. The Ram is wide, windage not as important, but frequently see a shooter use half the Rams width rather than center up his shots. Target is big stay centered you have room to be a bit off and still get X.  Not centered more 0’s, it takes over 95% hits to win the match.

Drill I have used and am now using on my grandson is put the rifle on the shooting boxes rest. Tell the shooter “set on 47, now change to 50, give me a 42” etc. up and down the staff drilling fast accurate changes. This from my Silhouette days were my regular spotter and I would call out sight charges needed. All the shooter did was turn the knobs as directed. Spotter looking over his shoulder double checked corrections. We can’t do that in the gong matches, spotting board and more time to shoot makes up for spotter coaching.

Sights are expensive might as well use them correctly, after all they control every shot fired.

Boats
« Last Edit: Jul 9th, 2024 at 8:36pm by boats »  

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #17 - Jul 12th, 2024 at 9:40am
Print Post  
I once had a spotter who thought he could force me to make more drastic adjustments by incorrectly moving my hit further to the edge of the animal on the spotter board than where it actually hit.

Never figured out how drastically he was mismarking my hits until I had a friend sit behind and monitor a shoot and he reported the major differences in where my hits were compared to what this spotter marked on the spotting board.

Real way of confusing a shooter on his ability to undertand how much his sight adjustments were making.
That probably explains the number of times I went from off the side of the animal to off the other side of the animal when I made an adjustment.

Sometimes you need to find a spotter that helps you properly develop your skills instead of trying to be the shooter as well.

BP silhouette is a team sport and it is very difficult to find a suitable partner you can rely on and who can communicate well with you.

Development of skills is highly dependent on the advice provided by other experienced shooters.
« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2024 at 9:53am by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Jul 12th, 2024 at 11:22am
Print Post  
It is a team sport and spotter probably 40% of your score.  Couple of  buddy’s of mine and I had a good thing going but work got in the way & I could not be regular. Gave BPCS up, without good spotting it’s a waste of time 

Then found Schuetzen & Small Bore prone.  Both self spotted scope and sighter target real advantage. Use them   !

Boats
« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2024 at 7:31pm by boats »  

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #19 - Jul 12th, 2024 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
A team sport? How is that possible when the team does not share the win? In BPCRS the shooter takes the prize, the spotter gets nothing. 

Is this another example of the new normal?

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Jul 12th, 2024 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
The shooter has to buy the beer!

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Jul 12th, 2024 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
Reason I call it team is shooter and spotter switch off, one aids the other, not unlike football were the line protects the quarterback. He’s the name, they were a key to performance. Its true Silhouette one is generally the better shooter and receives the trophy. He wins with considerable assistance. Never saw a top shooter working alone.

Other shooting sports coaching is very common & it’s not unusual for a squad to have a sacrificial shooter that goes first & previews conditions, High Power service rifle good example.  This very common in Sporting Clays 4 man squad coming to a station views one show pair. Three shooters shoot 3 pair each same targets. They may even try different pick up and break points experimenting  Top guy goes last and has seen the targets flight 10 times before his turn.

Offhand Schuetzen is pure individual sport.

Boats

IP Logged

TomKlinger

Reply #22 - Jul 13th, 2024 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Must depend where you shoot, because I have received trophies and placks from several larger matches when my shooting partner does well…

Tom Klinger

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Jul 13th, 2024 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
I will say target and range makes a difference how you adjust for light. When I shot Small Bore Prone it was in Australia and the English match. 50 meters iron sights only. Club ran 1 practice 1 record Wednesday evenings under lights. Daylight savings early squad you could shoot fairly good natural light first relay lights on 2nd or winter time both under lights. Saturday matches good natural light 1 pratice 2 record . My Anschutz 54 had adjustable arpetures front and rear. Always set up with the rear opening to provide sharp focus on the front Sight. Front sight set to provide ring around the bullseye . Bullseye could be fuzzy with no loss in precision . 

Elevations varied and proved before record shots on the sighter target. Differences could have been due light or temperatures, 50 weeks per year, whole lot of variables 

Silhouette is different,  no aiming point on the large target. Good scores require picking a specific spot on the critter. Shoot at the whole animal you won’t score high. Post and bead work best for most, some do better with arpeture fronts. Adjustable arpeture fronts most matches not allowed, all light changes taken on the rear . Best strategy most shooters keep the front sharp. 

Schuetzen still another set of variables often, re-entry or shooter chosen times over over the course of a  weekend 

The prone offhand and X stick matches  not bench rest but you still need good sight pictures and well adjusted sights to do well.  

Boats

IP Logged

Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Reply #24 - Jul 14th, 2024 at 11:33am
Print Post  
I agree with Joe on that one. The shooter walks away with the prize and the spotter who helped make it possible got a pat on the back.  Of the few years I shot BPCR we had An  agreement to split the prize IF we ever got there ! LOL

May the Bullet Gods be with you.......

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint