Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Case cleaner ideas (Read 1249 times)
Mick B
Oldtimer

Case cleaner ideas
Jul 6th, 2024 at 1:00am
Print Post  
I have a 40/65 and use both Starline and Winchester brass made from 45/70 cases. In the past I have used a Thumlers Tumbler and SS pins to clean my brass, just water with a small dash of Lyman Turbo Sonic case cleaner added to the mix. my local gun shop no longer has any of the Lyman product in stock. I have read here that you can add a little Citric acid to the water and it will achieve the same result .  My question is, just what type of stores sell that acid ?.
Cheers 
mike.

IP Logged

Bluedog
Participating Member

Re: Case cleaner ideas
Reply #1 - Jul 6th, 2024 at 6:07am
Print Post  
Try your local grocery store, if they have a canning section, it should be sold near mason jars etc 

Jason

IP Logged

JKR
Participating Member

Reply #2 - Jul 6th, 2024 at 6:39am
Print Post  
Mike,
If you want your cases to look brand new, inside and out, use Dawn dish soap and a squirt of Lemmi Shine.
JKR

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Jul 6th, 2024 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
All I've ever used is just a squirt of Dawn soap and 1.5-2 hrs. in my wet tumbler with ceramic pins. My cases come out clean and shiny.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

stevenjay1
Participating Member

Living in the woods!

Reply #4 - Jul 6th, 2024 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
Wet tumble with Stainless steel pins, Dawn and a little lemmi-shine. If you want them to look like new, tumble for at least 3 hours.  However, if you forget about the 1000 9mm cases you tumbled for about 10 hours you have some really shiny brass!  Set your timer.

Just another homesick Texan that shouldn't of left in the first place!
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club - 8/69 to 8/71
NRA Life Member
CRPA Member

IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Jul 6th, 2024 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the replies, I don't know if Dawn soap or Lemmi Shine is sold at my local Woolworths, but I will check. I'm pretty sure I have not noticed a canning section there either, I asked one of the store staff if he thought they sold citric acid and he didn't have a clue. I tried tumbling my cases in just water and a dash of my dish washing soap and while they came out clean they were not bright and shiny like when done with a dash of Lyman Turbo Sonic case cleaner.
Cheers
Mike

IP Logged

Antonio

Reply #6 - Jul 6th, 2024 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
I have just used walnut shells in my vibrator case cleaner, Let it run all night and they come out bright and shiny.

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #7 - Jul 6th, 2024 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
Mick B wrote on Jul 6th, 2024 at 8:24pm:
Thanks for the replies, I don't know if Dawn soap or Lemmi Shine is sold at my local Woolworths, but I will check. I'm pretty sure I have not noticed a canning section there either, I asked one of the store staff if he thought they sold citric acid and he didn't have a clue. I tried tumbling my cases in just water and a dash of my dish washing soap and while they came out clean they were not bright and shiny like when done with a dash of Lyman Turbo Sonic case cleaner.
Cheers
Mike

Vinegar is just as good as citric acid. I use half & half water and vinegar with a squirt of "Dawn".

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jul 7th, 2024 at 12:12am
Print Post  
I been shooting BPCRs (40-65 & 45-70) since 1997 & attend 1 to 2 silhouette matches a month since 2012.  The brass has been in a Tumlers Tumbler with either stainless steel pins or ceramic media & I've tried several solutions.  Here's an article on the subject I wrote a couple of years ago.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jul 7th, 2024 at 6:50am
Print Post  
I am using ceramic in a vibratory tumbler with just a bit of water and a couple of tablespoons of citric juice, either lemon or lime, just depends on what is in the refrigerator... Wink

If your rifle is not in 7.62 and you can't hit what you are aiming at with de-linked machinegun ammo you are a pretender.

IP Logged

Longknife

Reply #10 - Jul 7th, 2024 at 9:11am
Print Post  
Citric acid is available on AMAZON.

IP Logged

JKR
Participating Member

Reply #11 - Jul 8th, 2024 at 9:36am
Print Post  
Lemmi Shine is nothing but citric acid with a little something added to make it smell good.

IP Logged

Lead Pot

Reply #12 - Jul 8th, 2024 at 11:04am
Print Post  
I like using Cascade dishwasher detergent gel or a cascade pod. The pod is a little too much in the large capacity Frankford Arsenal tumbler but it works.
When the cases are clean I pour them in a 50 mesh classifier that fits a 5 gallon bucket and let it drain off. The 50 or 70 mesh screen will hold the 3mm ceramic balls or SST pins from falling through.

If I have pins mixed with the ceramic I use one of these prospecting magnets. 

The drained water from the tumbler I save. I just keep adding more till the bucket is full and use it over and over. The dirty water clears up in a day or two and looks unused. About twice a year I pour off the water easy till I get close to the bottom and clean the mud out and pour the mix back in and add new to the clean old till the bucket gets full again and keep using it over and over.
It's not for saving money it just plain works.

Kurt

IP Logged

Old_No7

Reply #13 - Jul 8th, 2024 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
Mick B wrote on Jul 6th, 2024 at 8:24pm:
Thanks for the replies, I don't know if Dawn soap or Lemmi Shine is sold at my local Woolworths, but I will check.

Dang... A "local Woolworths" ? ? ?

In 2024???   For real???

I thought they were all gone, and I'd have more trouble finding one of those than the citric acid or the Lemmi Shine.

Old No7

"Freedom and the Second Amendment...  One cannot exist without the other."  © 2000 DTH&&

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jul 9th, 2024 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
No 7, they are still around in the old British Empire and the ones in S. Africa have excellent cafeterias.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint