Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Lube Expansion re:Eley 22 ammo (Read 531 times)
Fritz
Oldtimer

Lube Expansion re:Eley 22 ammo
Jul 3rd, 2024 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
Sometime ago, someone wrote post on eley 22 lube expansion and difficulty in chambering and a solution to problem vs dispensing with it. I can't locate old post and would appreciate any input. Fritz

YIM  
IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Lube Expansion re:Eley 22 ammo
Reply #1 - Jul 3rd, 2024 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
It is not just Eley.  I've experienced that with a BSA Martini International (last November) and in an original flat spring High Wall in .22 LR just 3 weeks ago.  Extreme hot weather is not necessarily a factor.  Both my experiences were in very mild but damp conditions at the Redwood Gun Club range, Manila, CA. 

Symptoms were failure to eject, followed by failure to extract, and progressively more difficult to chamber a cartridge.

The Martini International gummed up with German-made Wolf Match Extra.  The High Wall gummed up with Aguila Match, the black box stuff.

The mantra with olde tyme smallbore shooters is "thou shall not clean", but the chambers and actions do get gummed up.  An occasional cleaning is necessary
« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2024 at 4:46pm by waterman »  

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Jul 6th, 2024 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
Chambering difficulty usually the result of a carbon/lead buildup in the throat. Well understood these days, easily cleaned out with some C4 soaking 15-20 minutes. Match chambers more sensitive to this than most SS chambers.
P.S. the most accurate RF rifles on the planet get cleaned on a regular basis, complete with solvent and quality bronze brushes.

“ I don’t have to be faster than the bear, I just have to be faster than you”

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #3 - Jul 7th, 2024 at 11:15am
Print Post  
I have never had a problem with Eley Tenex gumming up my three BSA MkII Internationals with a BSA barrel or the ones converted to RKS barrels

I only clean them once a year down to pristine white metal with lead removal solvents and use JB bore paste to eliminate carbon buildups.

They need to have at least a box of ammo through them after cleaning before their best accuracy is restored.

I also only clean the action once a year but lubricate it well with moly lube which insures continual hard extraction of the cases.
« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2024 at 11:21am by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jul 7th, 2024 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
I believe he may mean when the lube hardens from age. I tried making a swage out of a bullet puller collet and it worked but ammo just shot OK. did not know if it was my effort or ammo's fault. was still good practice ammo.

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #5 - Jul 7th, 2024 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
Ralph McDonald use to wipe fresh Alberta Schuetzen Lube on his old lube hardened rimfire ammo.

He kept doing it for many years so it must of been beneficial to do so.

I never had any problem with hard lube on the Tenex ammo left over from the 1976 Montreal Olympics.
But one out of ten cases split from being stored in an unheated garage.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint