Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) .22 Hard Extraction - Bulged Case (Read 2959 times)
gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Re: .22 Hard Extraction - Bulged Case
Reply #45 - Jul 2nd, 2024 at 7:51am
Print Post  
This has been an educational journey. Thanks fellas.

As for bushwhacking backyard varmints, I've lived where I do for 26 years - suburban Maryland - and have waged a seemingly never ending battle with them. Groundhogs in platoon strength, foxes (only while the neighbor kept chickens - imagine that in a toney suburban neighborhood!), and garbage can raiding 'coons. I found early on that low-noise "quiet" .22 Longs didn't really cut the mustard, even with head shots unless really really close. The equipment of choice the last few years has been one super accurate single shot or another with Eley Tenex. Rather quiet out of a long-ish barrel and enough moxie to thoroughly scramble a critter's brain.

I subscribe to the axiom - When people hear a single shot fired they look at each other and say "what was that", a second shot makes them nervous, and a third shot has folks dialing 911.

One such escapade, Browning Low Wall/Eley Tenex, around 50 yards:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Mass Patriot
Participating Member

Reply #46 - Jul 2nd, 2024 at 8:22am
Print Post  
bobw,
Re head space.  I installed the liner even with the end of the breech barrel end.  I cut the chamber making sure cartridges fit the chamber, and were also firmly tight against the breech bolt.

Sadly, when cutting for the extractor, I accidentally cut the liner's thin rim, on top.  Leaving cartridge rims not well supported there, and also not well supported at the extractor, since the extractor itself isn't well shaped.   

I compare this to a many revolvers, that don't countersink cartridge holes in the cylinder, leaving case rims unsupported laterally.  For example, see this .22 magnum cylinder;

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

NRA Life Member, and an NRA Golden Eagle
Massachusetts GOAL member

IP Logged

Mass Patriot
Participating Member

Reply #47 - Jul 2nd, 2024 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
gnoahhh,
My goal is CCI's .22LR subsonic hollow point, 45 gr, 970 fps.  I think that'll be the best blend of striking power w quiet report.  I've got to get this groundhog.  One neighbor (with a garden that's been robbed) is thumbs up, the other neighbor I don't know, and I'm more cautious.   

I grew up with my grandfather's Winchester 1890 in .22 Long.  I hunted w that for years, and I'm happy with that level of performance, esp. if I can get it in a quiet load.

Joe

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #48 - Jul 2nd, 2024 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
gnoahhh wrote on Jul 2nd, 2024 at 7:51am:

I subscribe to the axiom - When people hear a single shot fired they look at each other and say "what was that", a second shot makes them nervous, and a third shot has folks dialing 911.

The old poachers' motto went: "It's the second shot that gets you caught".   

<div class=

IP Logged

John Taylor
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #49 - Jul 2nd, 2024 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
Several years ago when I lived in a log house we had a problem with pack rats. Our two cats had one cornered behind the stove. I had a little Remington #4 and some 22 shorts. I got the muzzle about 2" from the rats head and pulled the trigger. He was gone, like not there. I saw him the next day and he had one blue eye and one  pink. There was no blood in the house and no bullet hole in the wall or floor. Finally got him with a rat trap and a piece of chocolate but he was still alive.

John Taylor   Machinist/gunsmith
IP Logged

Mass Patriot
Participating Member

Reply #50 - Jul 3rd, 2024 at 5:25am
Print Post  
Amazing that a .22 short to the head didn't kill a rat.  They are tough bastards.  It's good deer aren't like that, or we'd be using Nitro Express rifles.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Send TopicPrint