Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Stevens 44 with L.C. Cummins scope. (Read 2073 times)
Dselman
Participating Member

Stevens 44 with L.C. Cummins scope.
Jun 23rd, 2024 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
I recently acquired the Stevens 44 chambered in 25-21.  It came with a L.C. Cummins scope of unknown magnification. But it has a broken crosshair and a badly scratched front lense. It also has a rear sight that fits in the original dovetail but hangs off to the left side.  However it is missing the front offset sight. Does anyone have any info on the scope and possibility someone who could repair it.  Also what caliber would be suitable to rebarrel it in?   I see talk of 32-40 with low pressure loads.  Does that include low pressure smokeless loads or is it strictly black powder only?   I have pictures to post as soon as I figure out how to make the file smaller.

IP Logged

Dselman
Participating Member

Re: Stevens 44 with L.C. Cummins scope.
Reply #1 - Jun 23rd, 2024 at 10:41pm
Print Post  
Sorry some of the pictures are a little blurry.  That’s about as good as I could get them while getting the file small enough.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jun 24th, 2024 at 12:30am
Print Post  
I can't tell if your L.C. Cummins scope is fit with both windage and elevation internal adjustments. They could be ordered with elevation only, or with both. I have the scope with elevation only mounted on an almost identical Stevens 44, 45 model, except in 25-20SS. The 25-21 is a very fine cartridge, and I would leave well enough alone if the bore is shootable. Depending on your end use and desire. As for repair on the scope, I am no longer aware of anyone currently doing work on these older scopes. There is a gentleman in Florida who I understand does or did, but don't have contact information for him. Someone else hopefully will provide the information for you, or possibly others that can do the work required on your scope. You have a very nice rifle, well worth the cost to repair the scope.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jun 24th, 2024 at 2:50am
Print Post  
Need to know more, esp. whether it has adjustments for both crosshairs or just one.  I cannot by any stretch be considered a scope repairman, but I did replace the vertical crosshair in mine, some years ago.  My scope is weird in that the horizontal  crosshair is at the first focal plane, and the vertical at the second.  I was able to remove the rear cell to replace the vertical one.  

I found the patents using G**gle's patent search, and have attached some files here.  Also have some photos I took of the cell and a tool I made to emplace the new crosshair correctly.  It is merely glued to the face of the cell.

My rifle is a Model 45, chambered .32 Ideal.  If yours is .25-21, I implore you to leave it alone unless the bore is trashed.  The .25-21 is a fine, accurate, economical cartridge that is worth shelling out to obtain brass for.   If the bore IS trashed, I'd have John Taylor reline it and chamber back to .25-21.  That rifle deserves to stay as close to original as possible!
« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2024 at 2:56am by uscra112 »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) ( 12 KB | 12 Downloads )

<div class=

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jun 24th, 2024 at 3:02am
Print Post  
nb: The .32-40 is streng verboten in a 44 unless it has the lugged hammer, which yours will not.

<div class=

IP Logged

Dselman
Participating Member

Reply #5 - Jun 24th, 2024 at 6:23am
Print Post  
It only has adjustment for elevation. I partially disassembled the scope for a light cleaning.  It had about a 6 inch long brass tube at the rear that I didn’t disassemble as the caps were stuck.  I just didn’t think that the scope would have the crosshairs on 2 different focal planes. As for the caliber I would love to leave it.   It’s just hard for me to justify spending $110 on 20 pieces of brass.  I was thinking I could put a new barrel in a slightly more common caliber. And keep the original barrel to go back on for collectability if I ever sold it.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jun 24th, 2024 at 6:52am
Print Post  
A new barrel will set you back $everal hundred$, and finding an extractor for a different round may be next to impossible.  The usual parts suppliers are out of stock, and I sold my last new one to a guy in San Diego six or eight months ago.   

That said, your choices for a centerfire 44 without the hammer lug are limited to low pressure pistol rounds like .32 S&W Long, .38 Special (but no +P loads!!), .32-20, and the Stevens .25 family.  .28-30-120 would be great, but brass for that is even harder to find.  My criterion is breech thrust, which IMO should not exceed 1100 lbf., if there is to be any expectation of reasonable life before the link has to be renewed.  That lets out all of the modern smokeless .22s, even the little Hornet.

<div class=

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jun 24th, 2024 at 6:59am
Print Post  
The old 44 will breech-seat a bullet using a plugged case.  Following that scenario, just one good case will last you indefinitely.

<div class=

IP Logged

Dselman
Participating Member

Reply #8 - Jun 24th, 2024 at 7:57am
Print Post  
I may very well end up leaving it as is.  I was just thinking I could spend a couple hundred on a barrel blank and I have the ability to thread and chamber it myself. As I have rebarreled several rifles and even built a falling block from scratch.  I could also make the extractor.    I had thought about the possibility of breach seating but started reading into it and saw some stuff about specific chambers and tapered bullets to fit the chamber and wasn’t sure if it would work out or not

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jun 24th, 2024 at 9:18am
Print Post  
They are pretty easy to set up a barrel for, but there's a very specific sequence that things must be done in.  I have this written up if you decide to do it.  Extractors are easiest if you have a rotary table for your mill.  I can provide you with my fixture drawing.  I don't do them now owing to health issues.  Oops! My fixture is for the central extractor - your has the 7 o'clock extractor.  Have to think about that one.

Phil

<div class=

IP Logged

Dselman
Participating Member

Reply #10 - Jun 24th, 2024 at 10:48am
Print Post  
I just got off the phone with parsons scope repair.  He said he would take a look at repairing it.   Does anyone have a rough estimate on the value of the scope in working condition . I don’t want to end up with more money in it than the scope is worth.  And also the value of the gun. It has a pristine bore and super tight action.

IP Logged

Statesrights
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Jun 24th, 2024 at 11:00am
Print Post  
Keep that fine little critter in the original chambering. There are readers on this forum pining for it. You buy a couple pieces of brass and I’ll send you some bullets to shoot breech seated.

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jun 24th, 2024 at 11:46am
Print Post  
Nice clean rifle. Think I would save some cash and buy the brass and keep it as is. I just payed 3.00 each for some brass. I got 50 pieces. Some of it is stupid expensive but once you have it you have it.

JMH

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jun 24th, 2024 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
Since you have machining skills, you can turn brass cases to fit, rather than turn a barrel to fit.

I think the 25/21 is the perfect case size for a 44, for longevity and accuracy, with 86 gr bullets.

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Dselman
Participating Member

Reply #14 - Jun 24th, 2024 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
Where were you able to find it for $3. Every I find it in stock is atleast $5.50 and located in the uk or Australia.  It has crossed my mind to turn a piece of brass.  I just wasn’t sure about having to deal with repriming and loose powder at the range

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint