Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Green Mtn 25 cal Barrel Info (Read 469 times)
Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Green Mtn 25 cal Barrel Info
Jun 16th, 2024 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
About 20 years ago I bought a 25 caliber octagon barrel from Green Mtn.  They billed it as being for a small lever action,  but Charlie Dell and I decided it would be just right for a smooth side low wall and we chambered it for 25-20 SS.  Weeks turned into decades and now, for reasons I explained elsewhere, I’m bringing that project off the back burner and trying to finish it.

So, the reason for this post;  I went to the GM web site to check about its twist rate etc, but it’s apparently been discontinued. Does anyone here have that info?  I hate measuring twist rate by hand as I usually get it wrong anyway, so I’m hoping one of my fellow pack rats may have some old GM paperwork stashed away.  Thanks in advance for any help!

Froggie

IP Logged

singleshotsam
Oldtimer

Re: Green Mtn 25 cal Barrel Info
Reply #1 - Jun 16th, 2024 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
Froggy,
I have Green Mountains catalog from 2004, it states that blank was a tapered octagon 27" long and meant for the 25-20. 1-14 twist, bore.250 and groove .257. I hope this answers your question.

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jun 16th, 2024 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
They missold those as 14 twist; so they were slow sellers. I doubted it and had them check, and they were 10 twist. I subsequently negotiated a deal and bought their entire inventory of about 35 pieces, and they never made more.  

I built a featherweight bolt gun 257 Robert's for myself with one and it is an excellent shooter.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #3 - Jun 17th, 2024 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
Thanks guys!  Now I won’t be limited to bullets of less than 80 grains.  I can expand my Perfection mould to its greatest length and get a bullet of around 96 gr.  Still not enough to hold up in a stiff wind, but a little “mo’ bettah” than those little tiny pills.   

Froggie

IP Logged

Spud
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Jun 18th, 2024 at 5:58am
Print Post  
Thanks Dave for that info on the GM .25 barrel Smiley. Like Froggy I purchased one of these years ago to go on a LW to make up a .25/20 SS. Back then it was so much easier to import a barrel or liner from the USA to OZ before our respective govts. changed the regulations & made life difficult Smiley. It has been sitting out in the shed and I had always assumed that it had a 14 inch twist. I will now have to measure it as a 10 inch twist would be so much better for a HW in .25/35 WCF. 
Spud

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint